Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just had to have my power conversion system replaced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car's warranty expired about a month ago or so. Before it had expired, I had taken my vehicle in to have some service and asked if they could do an overall vehicle warranty check. They said they didn't really do that.

Turns out, I had a bad power conversion system on my car. Occasionally, and it turns out when I was using Destination Chargers, I would get limited charging messages. However, at home using my 220 outlet, the car would charge normal and using super chargers it would charge normal too.

I can demonstrate that my car had this problem before the warranty expired...but apparently that's not how the warranty works. I don't know why the service center told me they couldn't do a vehicle warranty check when I brought it in before the warranty expired, because turns out I was able to pay for a diagnostic after the warranty expired which confirmed the problem.

Anyways, it cost me $1717.77 to have my power conversion system replaced...if any of you are getting reduced charging rate messages, don't assume its the charger and get it checked about before your warranty expires.

Ouch. That sucks...and you tried to do some smart diligence too, but of course there’s only so much you can check... gotta rely on them, and - not saying they knew - but certainly they “saved” $1700 in revenue that way!