Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just got a loaner S with AP1. It is still better than AP2.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered my car in 2014 and change the order to a 4 wheel drive the day that was announced.
I received the 85D in April 2015 with AP hardware etc, however no AP was working.
Had the car for only 10 month as I moved to the US but in those 10 month the car went from nothing to working AP, recognizing cars, busses etc. Traffic signs are seen too. Massive jumps in only 10 months.
Returned from the US, now have 100D with AP2 and agree, still no AP1 quality.

How can AP2 been sold as improvement and the more important question what happened with Tesla that in 2015 could achieve massive Improvements and with AP2 after 1.5 year still not can deliver the same basics as AP1???

I would love to have my AP1 back, only good thing is the bigger battery but with the much denser SC network no really needed.

It seems to be much smoother keeping the center of the lane.
It was great finally being able to auto lane-change on surface streets. Plus the dash showed the correct vehicle type.

Is version 9.0 supposed to enable auto lane-change for AP2 cars?
I had two AP1 loaners this month, and both felt better than my AP2.0 vehicle in every place except connectors between freeways, and that was only because the AP1 didn't seem to slow for curves.
How often does it give the nag to “apply light force to the wheel”
The timing may have been similar, but both AP1 cars were SIGNIFICANTLY better about recognizing my hand holding the steering wheel. As soon as I got back my car, I got the nag within a minute of driving. Unfortunately I wasn't able to test an AP2.5 loaner since the Enterprise cars don't get Autopilot enabled.

Interesting, I hated the ap1 car I had. It would sometimes launch into the wrong lane and the entire experience just felt not fluid. The only thing I like on it is the

The car sometimes move from the center to avoid cars, objects and whatever crap that is stuck on the side of the lane

The boxed trucks on the screen

I miss the days of AP 1 and no nag for miles and miles. With the latest firmware I use AP with my hand resting on the bottom of the wheel and CONSTANTLY get the nag. It’s so annoying, I rarely use AP anymore. Which is a shame.

I drove an AP1 car on a 5,000 mile trip 2 years ago with AP on for probably 4,500 of those miles. Now I use AP2 maybe 500 out of every 5,000.

It’s a damn shame that a few people weren’t smart enough to use it properly that it has caused the ridiculous nagging for the rest of us who never had a problem.

My own experience as a current owner of an AP1 Model S and AP2 Model 3 is that AP2 is MUCH better than AP1 at most challenging real-world driving situations — curvy, hilly roads, complex intersections, poorly marked roads, surface streets, etc. I still love AP1 but it can’t hang with AP2 IMO.

In a TMC poll from March of people with experience with both AP1 and AP2 80% already thought AP2 outperformed AP1 and I believe AP2 has continued to improve faster than AP1 since then. Poll: Has AP2 18.10.4 surpassed AP1 in terms of performance?

I agree, the performance of AP2 is finally improving to where it holds the road better than AP1. My complaint is the never ending nagging even when I AM holding the wheel has gotten to the point of being so annoying I rarely use it anymore.

I could drive miles and miles and miles on the “inferior” AP1 without a nag, but I get a nag every .6 miles on AP2 with the last few updates.

AP2 earlier this year would only nag me every now and then when holding the wheel.

Funny I drive 40 miles on ap a day, never really an issue using one hand or two
This is where I found it really varies from car to car. The two loaners I had behaved the same as your description. I drove a couple hundred miles combined on AP with them and didn't have any nag issues. Then I got back in my car, and it was like someone turned on nag-gate all over again.

I could drive miles and miles and miles on the “inferior” AP1 without a nag, but I get a nag every .6 miles on AP2 with the last few updates.

I believe AP1 now nags just as bad as AP2, since they both have upgraded firmwares.

Personally though I don't see any difference in how AP2 holds the lane compared to AP1. It drives just as good, and AP2 has a slight edge in detecting even faint lines so well and ignore cracks on the payment better than AP1.

Last edited:
My own experience as a current owner of an AP1 Model S and AP2 Model 3 is that AP2 is MUCH better than AP1 at most challenging real-world driving situations — curvy, hilly roads, complex intersections, poorly marked roads, surface streets, etc. I still love AP1 but it can’t hang with AP2 IMO.

In a TMC poll from March of people with experience with both AP1 and AP2 80% already thought AP2 outperformed AP1 and I believe AP2 has continued to improve faster than AP1 since then. Poll: Has AP2 18.10.4 surpassed AP1 in terms of performance?
I agree. AP2 drives better now. I think until it has the same dash vehicle type recognition, and local lane change, people will think it is sub par.

I think Cadillac (CT6) actually has the best solution for [this particular] nag problem by using a camera that reads the driver's face to determine attention rather than trying to rely on some hacky force detection on the wheel.

People Have been setting iPads on the Dash Watching Movies and it thinks your playing attention...

I also think AP2.5 drives pretty darn good & unlike CT6 I can use it on roads other than freeways.
Plus Construction doesn't bother it. I would like the trucks to be identified like AP1, but that's small potatoes I guess.

You're missing the point. I didn't compare the driving performance of Tesla AP to the functionality of the CT6's AP, I simply stated that the system that determines whether the driver is paying attention is superior, which it is (vastly).

You're missing the point. I didn't compare the driving performance of Tesla AP to the functionality of the CT6's AP, I simply stated that the system that determines whether the driver is paying attention is superior, which it is (vastly).

Again referring to my 1st line:
People Have been setting iPads on the Dash Watching Movies and it thinks your paying attention...

Tesla people were using Oranges...
So neither is Superior as far as detection in my opinion.
Both are Lawyer prevention...

I don't get Nags normally cause I keep my Hands on the Wheel, I feel if your stupid enough to 100% trust the system then that's Natural Selection...

Last edited:
Darwinism aside, the issue with the current system is one of mechanical disparity between drivers. A "technique" that keeps the system happy is not easy to establish or maintain because everyone drives differently. Further, "holding" the wheel doesn't mean the driver is paying attention. Facial recognition is the only viable long-term solution to the problem despite whatever exploit of the week is in place.

• Disagree
Reactions: xyeahtony

I voted NO then, and haven’t yet changed my mind.

My AP1 handles my 2.5 hour drive from the city, through the badlands and into the desert of so cal almost every weekend, and my AP2 can’t hold the first inclined bend up out of Moreno Valley. Nor does my AP1 phantom brake or ride the rails of multi lane freeways. AP2 has improved for sure, and it’s likely to be benefitting me in ways not fully rolled out yet, but in terms of reliable performance and trust, I remain in the AP1 camp. Of note is I do not use either AP at complex interesections so no comment there, but I’d be interested to know how they each handle it if you could expand upon that comment a bit. Not something I’ve tried.

AP2 will leapfrog at some point.....and I can’t wait to see how spectacular it can be.