Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Journalist runs out of power in a rented Tesla and writes a review.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Car that needs special instructions to drive from A to B is not very good car for mainstream market.

Very true. The car will need to have a greater ability to work the problem if the driver is unaware, unable or unwilling to do so.

I hope that the practical offshoot of all this autonomous/driverless vehicle research is a smartnav system which doesn't present the driver with a mathematical problem WHILE THEY ARE DRIVING.

It seems more sensible to get the driver to select "Where next?" on the touchscreen map while stationary at a charging station and going through the process of connecting up to a charger.

So once Tesla Smartnav knows the destination it would need to:
a) Know the power/availability of charging stops along several routes
b) Know the speed limits on the roads to these locations.
c) Know the current elevation and the elevation of the charging stops.
d) Know local weather data.
e) Know local traffic flow data
f) Know the driver's driving style.

and could display the two quickest routes with little boxes (Charge here - 40 mins) as well as an approximate total driving time for each. The driver scans these and selects a preferred one. (There is also an "Alternate Routes?" option to cycle through for a wider choice.)

The key point is that route selection is the ONLY way to set charging levels and to initiate a recharge - it forces the driver to give the car key information. (At home the car would present the simple question "Normal Commute to Work Tomorrow?" when plugged in at night. If "No" the driver goes through the same route selection process, maybe choosing a different route to work for an errand or an entirely different route. The Smartnav could also build up a list of regular routes for some sort of "Fast Select" option)

(Then again, I predict a Gen 3 Forum Thread: "Demand Tesla reinstates the old charge setting method" :) )

Back on the road, the system would pop up reminders for stops and be able to suggest speed reductions etc if conditions change, or a particular stop is missed or if the driver decides/needs to take a detour. (The system still has the alternate routes and/or can recalculate based on new data updates on traffic flow etc)

ETA: On reflection, insisting you must select a destination before you can charge is overkill for daily routine driving. I'm going to backtrack on that one for domestic use - from home you can set a certain pack charge target level (as now) or the route option. The Route Selection method would still be the only option/enforced every time you connect to a Supercharger - or any non-home charger above a certain power (since Smartnav should know power available and location and can therefore assume a trip is likely). Having to set a route might also act as a very minor and gentle encouragement to local residents to find alternative charging rather than using a Supercharger. But they can still use them if they need to.

Having both options available also works if you have to connect to low power overnight at a distant location. Technically you could still be travelling and not at your final destination. (if you've done the trip before, Smartnav might know about it - if you selected the "Save Trip?" option, but it can't assume that you are heading there until you select it as the last stage of your journey)

Last edited:
I hope that the practical offshoot of all this autonomous/driverless vehicle research is a smartnav system which doesn't present the driver with a mathematical problem WHILE THEY ARE DRIVING.
"A Model S driver is leaving the Hawthorne supercharger in his P85 Model S with 21" Continentals at 2am headed for San Diego on a Sunday morning with the outside temperature at 54F. Assuming he leaves with a 90% charge, how soon can he arrive with at least 20% charge remaining if there is no traffic, construction, or law enforcement concerns?"

"A Model S driver is leaving the Hawthorne supercharger in his P85 Model S with 21" Continentals at 2am headed for San Diego on a Sunday morning with the outside temperature at 54F. Assuming he leaves with a 90% charge, how soon can he arrive with at least 20% charge remaining if there is no traffic, construction, or law enforcement concerns?"

LOL - exactly.

For a lot of people who are less confident with math, this is what simple range/travel arithmetic feels like.

Sounds like a high-school physics question!

Right, so not every rental has a full tank. :wink:

The local rental place just goes by the gas gauge, they don't give you a full tank. I complained about this last time, because I actually needed a full tank and I had to go fill it as soon as I got the car. They said I have to call ahead if I want a full tank. :confused::cursing:

Fortunately the opening of the Albany Supercharger just eliminated my occasional need to rent an ICE car. So I'll only have to put up with these ICE thingies when traveling by air.

Really? We're arguing about if rental cars have full tanks? (My experience is they typically are full, but make a note of it if not - at the larger operations, they refuel on site.) In any case, when renting out a BEV, they should be fully charged. The car has been sitting there, it should be plugged in. It's going to be rented and it's not hard to predict that the renter will want to drive it, not need to go charge it right away. It should not only be fully charged, it should probably have a 'EV Tip Sheet' sitting on the front seat for those who haven't driven electric before.

I guess one could debate wether it should have a full standard (90%) charge versus a range (100%) charge for a rental but yes, every ICE rental has a full tank +/- a gallon maybe. The needle is somewhere close to full at least and if it isn't, say something. Not sure why that was even a point of discussion.
The rental companies should be smart enough to walk people through driving an EV and at least provide a sheet like Bonnie said.