Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

JdeMO for the Roadster?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was a bit surprised that they have no DC chargers in the area yet. About 80 km to go for a DC charge... There are a few 32a AC charge points in the area, but 7kW charging will restrict your number of laps to just a handful in a full day. I will be back with more time and experience on a later occation.
I was recently in the area and the nearest DC charging is on the A48 in Kehrig, about 42km away. But yes, driving up and back is 84km.

I've been thinking about this. The OVMS solution works, but is a bit kludgy (having to use an App to lock it). I've been wondering what a JdeMO charge looks like on the CAN bus. Presumably the vehicle is stationary (speed=0), on (key in ignition, and on), and what looks like a lot of regen going into the battery? Can we pickup those events, and automatically lock the car? Unlock would either be via the App or spare key.

Not sure if I understand how a key would work? I think it’s been tried? Not sure.

But sure, speed less than 3mph for more than X minutes, Vehicle in Park... I can see getting locked out this way.

Or, it unlocks as soon as the charge stops, but then anybody could stop the charge.

I’m thinking a simple switch in the boot the either rolls the window up and down, or physically unlocks the door. You open and close the boot with a spare mechanical key. I doubt the wireless fob would open the trunk while “ON”.

If I remember correctly today is 2 years since the JdeMO prototype was first shown charging the Roadster.

@TonyWilliams I wondered if you had been able to ship the remaining parts for the UK group that @eljf and I talked about in London?

Those will ship this week, although per our email exchange, that may be delayed until after the holidays.

We now have two JdeMO Roadster units in Japan, and two more ordered. About 35 units worldwide now.

IMGP7505.JPG

The Chademo inlet placed in the trunk floor

A diffrent as the kit thinked to place

DSC_0162.JPG

In the deffuser

Reactions: Drewflux
Those will ship this week, although per our email exchange, that may be delayed until after the holidays.

We now have two JdeMO Roadster units in Japan, and two more ordered. About 35 units worldwide now.

It seems like this was trapped in the moderation queue.

Did they ship? Waiting for a response to my later email and/or a FedEx tracking number please. I also left a message with the lady that took my phone call to QCP on Friday morning.

Last edited:
It seems like this was trapped in the moderation queue.

Did they ship? Waiting for a response to my later email and/or a FedEx tracking number please. I also left a message with the lady that took my phone call to QCP on Friday morning.

Sent email. All the mudflaps and related hardware will ship this week. It should have been ready last week, but as you might imagine, not everything was back to normal yet from Xmas break.

Reactions: dpeilow
3 weeks ago Neil installed the JdeMo kit on my Roadster 2.0
Since then I have experienced quite a few times a failed charging and it seems it has to do with the Efacec chargers. The ABB chargers in NL work fine but 80% of the Efacec chargers fail
At first I see that the charger recognises the car but then it clicks and drops off and can not find the car to charge.
I have tried reset by unplugging the data cable and closing opening contact and so on but charger does not work
The strange part is that in NL on motorway A12 Hellevliet the Efacec charger works but same brand, age en supplier at Motorway A2 Beesd does not work
@Tony? Is there something to do to make this work?
Since NL and BE are full with Efacec chargers and operation is a gamble long distance travelling becomes difficult.

IMG_20180124_100536419.jpg

IMG_20180124_100539596.jpg

I have no trouble with the Efacec charger at the VW Electronics Research Lab in Belmont, California with the JdeMO on my RAV4 EV. The only suggestion I have is to reboot JdeMO computer. This can be done by either disconnecting the 12V battery or pulling the fuse that powers the JdeMO itself.

Thanks miimura
However, I have taken the 12V connection out for 1 minute every time it fails but it did not improve
Furthermore if next charger is of the brand ABB everything works fine.
So far I have learned that Chademo protocol seems to differ per brand and even sometimes per country, which will probably mean that we have to built a community of JdeMo owners in Europe and sharing experiences with failed locations.
Or Tony can have a solution?

You should e-mail Tony at QCP and see if he has some way to collect diagnostic information that would indicate why the session is failing and possibly create a firmware fix for the JdeMO. I know they do have an update for the RAV4 EV JdeMO, but I'm not having trouble so I haven't pushed to get it.

I do not see any response of Tony on speakev or on this forum
So for now I can share my further experiences with the JdeMo unit.
It seems now and then I need to make a reset by disconnecting the CAN data cable and connect after 1 minute waiting. In the list hereunder you can read this as "reset".

Antwerp Carrefour Bredabaan, Efacec, FAILED, after reset WORKED
Zwijndrecht (BE) Carrefour, Efacec, FAILED, after reset WORKED
Total Kalken Laarne Zuid, Efacec, FAILED, after reset WORKED, after 1 minute car disconnects, tried 3 times and every time only 1 minute charging so I gave up
Q8 Gent, Tritium, WORKED
Total E40 Jabbeke Noord, Efacec, WORKED, after stopping the charge my VDS screen freezes and controls of the roadster are grey and not accessible. This is solved by disconnecting the CAN data cable for 1 minute.
Euro tunnel Coquelles, DBT, WORKED
STOP24 M20 Hythe, DBT, right charger out of service, left charger WORKED
M25 Thurrock services, DBT WORKED, after 15 minutes car disconnect, after reset only 1 minute and then disconnects again, I gave up on this one
M1 Northampton Services, DBT, Chademo out of service
M1 Watford CAP Motorway services, DBT, WORKED, but car disconnects every minute and need reset to make it work again, so I gave up
M6 Corley Services South, DBT, WORKED
M1 Toddington services North, WORKED

All and all, if it works the charging is great. From Birmingham UK to Rotterdam NL I saved 4 hours on charging and I can now drive like "I stole the car", since the little time charging compensates more than the higher consumption on higher speeds.

Overall conclusion: most of the times JdeMo works, some nuisance in doing too much resets. The public network of Chademo chargers consists of some crappy chargers. Most locations in Benelux is only 1 charger so if somebody beats you to it you have to wait until that someone finished his charge while in UK most locations contains multiple chargers (if they all work)

Furthermore during charging the cooler gets in at temps of 40 degrees Celsius and cools down to 38, this happens one or two times per charge with an outside temperature of 2 degrees Celsius.
We have to wait to see temperature in summer circumstances.

Last edited:
After extensive testing I have learned a lot about the JdeMo kit.

I made a business trip to Denmark 6th of May and the reliability of my JdeMo is unpredictable.
I have learned that Guido from NL after his installement experiences problems as well, maybe both of us have a crappy set.

Also the times it fails are different. One time nothing happens, so no red light starts.
Another time the red light starts, charger negotiates with the car and shuts down.
Another time charger works, but when I close the charger after charging the green light stays on and next charge I first have to make a reset
And finally I encounter situations in which everything works and the charger shuts down after 2 seconds.
So first I thought some chargers work and some chargers do not. Problem of the charger?

8th of May returning from Denmark was the limit for me. I tried to charge at an Efacec charger Hotel Van der Valk at Hengelo. I arrived with my JdeMo disconnected. First I connect the unit to the car and then start the charger. No matter what I tried I could not get the charger to charge. Of course car was on and in park. So unfortunately I had to switch to AC charging and I disconnected the JdeMo unit again. After 1 hour of charge I said to myself why not let us try again, stopped AC charging, powered the car in park and handbrake on again, and connected the JdeMo unit. It works!!!! Exactly same process steps and now it works!

Conclusion: the charger is a rather new one and was never reported to have problems and I have used it 2 days ago on my way to Denmark, with Chademo, so the JdeMo understands the Chademo protocol of this particular charger, but it is completely random if it works out or not hence the software in the JdeMo is not stable.

I have on 2 cases discovered that charging works on a certain charger and 2 days later on the way back the same charger can not find the car no matter what I do, reset, shut down and this multiple times. Not only Efacec but also a RWE charger (Circontrol) in Germany. It works or does not work, it is just a gamble

I also have 2 times the experience that charger does not work, so I continue on AC and a Nissan leaf arriving 5 minutes later charges Chademo without problems.
Nissan knows how to built reliable software in the Leaf but QCP could not duplicate this into their unit.

The only solution I see is that QCP re validate and update the software and ship new software modules to us users which can be mounted inside by Neil or some other electronic installer which should not be that difficult.
I also would like to get all this unnecessary ballast as the switch and the possibility to charge on half power or fake the capacity on the charging point to be taken out. Just a simple plain connection without anything inside that can give reasons for software failure.

I am really annoyed because it is just a gamble if it works, and when not I have to park for 3 hours and continue with the always working CAN from Henry Sharp.

I have sent an email to Tony for help.

Marius

Reactions: eljf