Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

JdeMO for the Roadster?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Running cables from front to back would be "nearly" impossible for the size needed to do this, if going to be done it should go through the side-skirt on the passenger side, there are already HV cables there for the HVAC system.

However, if anyone ever needs to use this information; There is a "low power" (few 12AWG and some 16/18AWG) wiring harness that runs from front to back along the passenger side which was (I presume) used for Lotus components, I think there are about 7 or 8 wires that simply terminate in a blank box at the front and same at the back... If you ever need to run wires from front to back you should be using this harness so it is seamless!

• Informative
Reactions: drewski
Here is a shot of my Volt with the hidden hitch. It should work for the JdeMO in my humble opinion.
IMG_0382.JPG IMG_0383.JPG

Reactions: drewski
On US cars with the form factor of your license plate I think this will be invisible, but in other countries where they tend to be more narrow and rectangular I would like them to ensure it's out of sight when not in use.

I posted on another forum but so far without any traction: I think it would be sensible to put an external junction box on the HV lines located over the right wheeel arch, rather than drill extra holes in the PEM. I'd like to keep the PEM stock so there are no quibbles over replacements, future 3.0 upgrades or indeed removing the kit if I ever sold the car.

: I think it would be sensible to put an external junction box on the HV lines located over the right wheeel arch, rather than drill extra holes in the PEM. I'd like to keep the PEM stock so there are no quibbles over replacements, future 3.0 upgrades or indeed removing the kit if I ever sold the car.

At that location or another, I have ordered the JdeMO and agree that I am looking for an install that avoids drilling extra hols in the PEM for the same reason. I think it is likely I will snag that battery upgrade in the 7-10 year zone (since I pre-paid for a replacement) and don't want any issues.

Oh, I like this HVJB (High Voltage Junction Box) idea, but that is a tight space to fix one and it should be rather robust. Does anyone know if the ChAdeMO port on the JDeMO retrofit is "always live" when the battery rails are live? In other words; are there contactors in place that isolate it during driving mode and only bring it on line when used for charging?

Those contactors could also be located in this HVJB, just like the other OEM EV are doing this type of system... An HVJB addition just makes a ton of sense to keep it safe and up to par with the industry standards for these types of things...

I much prefer the placement below the license plate rather than opening the trunk. If something like that is what will be, Tony, then sign me up and maybe I need to pull my Roadster off the For Sale Board: 2010 Most FAMOUS Customized Tesla Roadster SPORT Out There!

@DrTaras I don't think @TonyWilliams spends much time around here anymore...

You might want to sign up here...

You can update your sign from Faster than a Ferrari, Greener than a Prius, to recharges on CHAdeMO

Last edited:
An update from Quick Charge Power

Dear Tesla Roadster Owners,

First, I'd like to thank each of you for being so patient while we finalize your JdeMO unit for your Tesla Roadster. I know that each of you have likely heard this phrase, "90% complete, 90% to go". I certainly feel like that some days!

The entire Roadster project was originally designed to be a modified Rav4 EV kit, but unfortuately, we ultimately had to redesign our hardware box, circuit card and firmware. Almost everything. This has taken slightly more time than originally allocated for.

We have had a few small setbacks in the past month or so:

1) Our JdeMO deliveries for Rav4 EV have extended into June, the month that we planned to begin JdeMO-Roadster deliveries. We have built, delivered and installed about 20 in this month alone. The good news is that we will be 100% caught up on that project at the end of this week, with almost 100 total delivered and installed. Of course, time spent on that project is time taken away from the Roadster project.

2) We have had to reject some of the redesigned hardware. We had planned to have a final version of the hardware for June, but unfortunately there were a number if issues that caused us to have another small redesign in hardware.
3) Our redesigned circuit card has not completed testing

4) We didn't have ready access this month to both a 1.5 and 2.5 Roadster for final hardware fitting.

The good news is that as of this past Saturday, I have both a 1.5 and 2.5 Roadster sitting in my workshop, side by side, for fitting hardware. Because the Roadster has so many hardware variations, it is critical that the hardware be designed to fit every known vehicle configuration. We have built production wiring harnesses, and they are awaiting trial fitting. This week, we should have conforming hardware. We have on hand all the long lead time hardware bits, like the CHAdeMO inlets.

So, we keep plugging along, as we enter the final push to get a high quality, fully functional JdeMO unit to you.

Here's a map of deposit holders:
JdeMO for Tesla Roadster

IMG_5533.JPG
IMG_6749.JPG