Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's Time to Build Your Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Roadster owners with Sig Reservations; they come at the front of the Sig list but are included in the 1,000 Sig limit. After the Sig's there is also a "R" list of Roadster owners with general production reservations, then comes the general production. Numbers can be found here on *michiganmodel* tally thread.
I'd like to hear more details about this if anybody knows...

Specifically, let's take AnOutsider as an example. As signature 532 should he expect VIN # S00532, S00753 (+221 SSL), or something in-between?

For simplicity, let's assume there are no cancellations in SSL or <= S532 for the example.

Specifically, let's take AnOutsider as an example. As signature 532 should he expect VIN # S00532, S00753 (+221 SSL), or something in-between?

For simplicity, let's assume there are no cancellations in SSL or <= S532 for the example.

There's already about 50 cars already produced (beta's, crash tests etc.) who knows whether the RC's will be added in there and whether the VIN "clock" resets to #001 for the Founders Series. Also, there is a thread over here: Decoding Tesla Model S VINs if you want to try figuring it out. The SSL's are at the front of the 1,000 Sigs, so I guess *An Outsider" won't actually have #532 but I could be completely wrong.

Many of the sig holders, especially the early ones, are also Roadster owners. I'd say that makes them very informed buyers.
True, but my wife won't commit to $100k without a test drive. She needs to get that same special feeling she got when driving the Roadster that causes you to forget that you're buying a car that costs more than most people's houses and just whip out your checkbook. No one in a rational state of mind would pay this much for ANY car. ;) She's worried that Model S won't give her the same feeling as the Roadster - she actually talked about picking up that one remaining Roadster and installing an airbag switch so she could take the baby.

Hey Tesla folks... we're local and she'd be happy w/ just a spin around the Fremont parking lot. Most of our Roadster sale was done as she was doing acceleration runs up and down the Menlo back parking lot. Hint, hint :)

I was told by my customer advocate: "With regards to your Model S, even though your car will be right around the 1298th built, this will unfortunately not equate to its eventual VIN. Unlike Roadster where we built the in VIN order starting with 1 for the very first built (Elon's) and going sequentially, the VIN order for Model S will be more sporadic. I think that this has a lot to do with all of the pre-production going on and its assembly line production, whereas Roadster's were hand built."

An email update from a friend of mine with a somewhat-early Sig number:

I talked to my local Tesla store guys today; they say that for my delivery number in the mid-100's, I probably won't have to lock in to anything until I'm back in the States, mid-April. The first 40 owners were emailed yesterday, maybe another 30-40 each week going forward until they're sure their software and support systems are up to a full onslaught from all the reservation holders out there.

I may even get to drive a production intent car before having to commit to anything more than I already have, but that depends on when the Model S is certified by the Feds, before which no customers will be allowed to drive the car.

While exciting, this news is almost causing me some trepidation. Perhaps partly out of some odd psychological effect of having waited so long, I am sort of comfortable in that state of anticipation that I don't think I can handle the real thing! haha.

I feel like the more I hear, the more anxious I get and the harder the wait is to bear. During the first year and a half or so, there was no info so I didn't think about it very much. But now as we get closer and read more articles and see more stuff, I feel like these next few months are going to be really hard!

I feel like the more I hear, the more anxious I get and the harder the wait is to bear. During the first year and a half or so, there was no info so I didn't think about it very much. But now as we get closer and read more articles and see more stuff, I feel like these next few months are going to be really hard!

I know how you feel. Isn't it one of Zeno's paradoxes? The closer you get to a point the longer it takes you to get there? I feel like the closer we get to getting the car, the further away it feels. I think the weeks before my car arrives will be completely intolerable!

We had our configuration phone call this morning (since we are in San Diego and the nearest showroom is Newport). It went pretty simply, since we'd looked at the configuration stuff many times recently :).

We ordered (taken from the preliminary quote we got soon after the call):

Model S Signature Performance
Exterior: Signature Red
Interior: Tan Nappa Leather/Alcantara with Grey Piping
Interior Décor: Lacewood
Panoramic All-Glass Roof
21" Performance Wheels with High-Performance Tires
No Rear Facing Seats
No High Power Wall Connector
Keep Rear Spoiler

The only surprise in any of this was the rear spoiler. It's a carbon fiber accent that I thought I'd seen somewhere, but can't find at the moment. But it's sort-of optional, as you can see they can remove it.

There were also charges for "Tesla personal delivery" ($990) and "Final Inspection, Preparation and Coordination" ($180).

The configuration chat itself lasted about 15 minutes. We also asked a couple of related questions. Test drives for early deliveries will be arranged just before the first deliveries, still dependent on the crash testing. Delivery of ours is expected in late July. We'll be contacted about 30 days before to arrange delivery details. Factory delivery is certainly possible, and we may opt for it, depending on whether there is supercharging available by then, and whether the test drive is in Fremont or not. I think one way or another we want to see the factory in production.

Soon after the call we got the written preliminary quote. Once I agreed that was correct, they prepared formal order papers (took about an hour for them to arrive). The contract also includes CA sales tax, registration transfer and titling fee ($781) and CA tire fee ($7). The contract says that $10,000 of the deposit becomes non-refundable, as well as any legal or storage costs if we fail to take delivery within 30 days. Expected delivery date in the contract is July 15. We just have to sign and fax back.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Generally a nice experience given that we're spending a huge amount of money.

The only surprise in any of this was the rear spoiler. It's a carbon fiber accent that I thought I'd seen somewhere, but can't find at the moment. But it's sort-of optional, as you can see they can remove it.

Glad to see the spoiler is indeed option. Here's a few pics:

rear-performance.jpg

side-performance.jpg

top-performance.jpg

There were also charges for "Tesla personal delivery" ($990) and "Final Inspection, Preparation and Coordination" ($180).

So about 1,070.00 in delivery charges. That's not bad compared to what I've seen. Especially if it's to your home.

sad_panda_painting.jpg

my bad :(

Still not a bad amount, the Karma has a $950 destination charge (not sure if they deliver to your home) and it's similar for Audis (no home delivery)

On another note, if we're going to get actual (estimated) delivery dates I should update the countdown sigs so you can specify a specific date.

Test drives for early deliveries will be arranged just before the first deliveries, still dependent on the crash testing.

If you test drive the car and you want to change some of the options (e.g. go from performance to non-performance) is there still a possibility of doing that?

View attachment 4988

my bad :(

Still not a bad amount, the Karma has a $950 destination charge (not sure if they deliver to your home) and it's similar for Audis (no home delivery)

On another note, if we're going to get actual (estimated) delivery dates I should update the countdown sigs so you can specify a specific date.

Better than the $1950 that Roadster owners had to pay

If you test drive the car and you want to change some of the options (e.g. go from performance to non-performance) is there still a possibility of doing that?

I don't think so. You've signed a contract well in advance of that. Of course they might work with you if they're confident they can sell your original car, but it would be entirely up to them.

Originally Posted by Jkam
I don't think so. You've signed a contract well in advance of that. Of course they might work with you if they're confident they can sell your original car, but it would be entirely up to them.

I guess the reason why I ask is because it appears only $10k of the $40k deposit becomes non refundable when the contract is signed. So that indicates to me that you could back out of the contract and lose 'only' $10k.