Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's Model S Weekend at Tesla Santana Row 3/17 & 18 and new Model S Design Studio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thread #141 on "Open center console" has some very insightful information from George regarding plans for the center bin. Pretty encouraging.

First part of my interview with George Blankenship: (the video cut out for some reason, and the wind interfered with audio quality) He started out by giving a lot of props to Tesla Motors Club members for helping to spread the word!

At 1:50 into the video, I specifically asked him:

"Do you think down the road there might be an accessory for the people who are console fanatics?"

He said:

"We'll absolutely do that." (twice for emphasis, while shaking his head from side-to-side!)

http://youtu.be/YBD3elgMA_0?hd=1

I think everybody who wants a console storage accessory should be contacting Tesla and asking when this will be available?

(Unfortunately, my video cut-out right after this part, so I missed capturing the rest of what he said. Next time, I'll bring a real video camera on a tripod, instead of the Sony Bloggie toy I had with me on Friday.)

Bonus video I just posted:

Demo of the Model S Glass Panoramic Roof Open / Close including Touchpanel Operation:

http://youtu.be/bSxfaijLTI4?hd=1

Last edited:
Here's my $0.02 on this.... Tesla only has 1 chance to get the mechanical bits right as this affects every buyer (EV zealot or not). The battery, drivetrain, handling characteristics, etc. I think they have been wisely focusing on this. I am confident very few people RIGHT NOW are actually cross-shopping Model S with a BMW or Audi ICE. There are enough early adopters that will buy the car based on its being an EV and having amazing performance and will forgive the interior. Then in later years (when they will be going head-to-head with ICE cars) they can very easily improve the interior based on feedback. The interior is trivial to update/change, the mechanical bits not so much. Let's also remember that Tesla is starting from scratch with things like interiors. Lotus built everything for the Roadsters. It takes time to develop the skills, team, etc to build a high-quality interior and with a few thousand under their built will be in a better position to make those improvements.

Why over promise and under deliver? that is like every other car company in the world....I thought their whole mantra was to be Apple like?

The interior would be more forgivable if Tesla had not postured that this would be the best sedan in the world.

I'm now wishing I lived on the West Coast to be able to drive by Tesla daily to see what's happening or to stop at the local store. My local store is 300 miles away (Cincinnati or Columbus, Ohio would be a great place for the next Tesla store! hint hint GeorgeB).
Hi Everyone,
Spare a thought for us poor Aussies. From Sydney to the West Coast is 7,416 miles. We have to wait a while for our right hand drive Model S
Would love to see one in the flesh!!!
Regards,
Kanga

You still did a great job with the video and reporting. You should get one of those plug in microphones and a press badge to make it all official looking too.

I plan to get a new real video camera and microphone. The video I shot Friday was done with my Sony Bloggie @ 720p (poor audio) and my wife's iPhone 4, also @ 720p. I already have Adobe Master Collection with all its video editing tools, but, frankly, not enough spare time to use them. Reading this and TSLA's forum already saps a lot of my spare time -- which my wife is not too happy about. You should have seen the look she gave me when I suggested on Sat. with a straight face (but was joking) "Why don't we go back to Santana Row today?"

I guess I could print a badge with my name and "TeslaMotorsClub.com Reporter" or some such, if it's ok with the owner/moderators of this website? George B. and the others seem to love to talk at length when they know my video will be posted here and shared for everyone's benefit.

Last edited:
This is the second part of my chat with George Blankenship. I switched to my wife's iPhone 4 after the Sony Bloggie battery died. My camera work is awful, but at least you can hear what George says better on the iPhone:

http://youtu.be/LN52Lfkxc7M?hd=1

Not much here... In the beginning, he's talking to another Tesla employee about which future Model S' to put where in the garage: "white, then the performance, then black interior with red piping". The only questions here are @ 2:05 about increasing max. speed on range estimator to 75 mph; @ 3:10 about high contrast tan - black interior; "I'm about making people smile. The designers and the engineers make the car handle well enough that when I get in it it makes me smile." @ 4:00 about the chrome stripe under the doors. @ 4:40 G.B. mentions the console again. After 6 mins. Franz H. called him on his cell and he had to go to take the call.

After looking back at the weekend visit and digesting some of the thoughts here, beyond the armrest/cupholders and the lack of storage (both of which I can live with or find workarounds for), the one thing that'll really bother me is if Tesla chooses to not do anything about that molded plastic seat bottom and back!

It's barely tolerable with Black leather and maybe, Gray too but, it's indeed a real eyesore when paired with any lighter leather color :( From what I've seen of such molded plastic surfaces - our Mini Clubman interior has a few chunks of that - you can leave whitish trails/streaks by brushing your foot or anything relatively pointed against them. This design element will start off looking cheap and will get worse with wear.

I guess I could print a badge with my name and "TeslaMotorsClub.com Reporter" or some such, if it's ok with the owner/moderators of this website? George B. and the others seem to love to talk at length when they know my video will be posted here and shared for everyone's benefit.
You got my vote, sir.

Your approach and demeanor for gathering commentary from Tesla representatives has been exceptional.

Steph, I interviewed Tesla VP George Blankenship on Friday at the event. (The video is at the bottom of my post #1.) He told me point-blank this is the final interior. All they are doing now is "fit and finish" tweaks. AND, there will DEFINITELY be a Tesla console accessory. I used the "down the road" phrase in my question -- not him. Hopefully, the console will be ready at time of sig delivery, and announced by Elon as, "oh -- one more thing." :)

Thanks a lot for those interviews!

Some people here seem too focused on nit-picking the interior, and lose sight of the big picture.

While I find the discussion about interior often very interesting, it seems that in all the nit-picking we overlook a little that currently 65% like the interior compared to that of a lot of expensive cars, according to this poll:

What future interior styling would you choose for a Model S Rev.2.0, or beyond ?

This appears to be an amazing achievement for Tesla, even while I agree that there should be a few small interior storage options, most of this can be addresses with accessories and/or a future replacement for the arm-rest-piece.

Did a first pass at cleaning up this thread.

If you want to complain or counter complaints about the interior go here: Gripes about the Beta interior
If you want to specifically discuss the center console or lack there of go here: Open Center Console

I'd prefer you also left discussion about the Tesla web site out of this thread.
For that stuff I guess you can go here: It's Spring! Where's the finished Design Studio?

Thanks, Doug. I knew you were reorganizing, so didn't want to jump in. I'll try to keep order :).

Did a first pass at cleaning up this thread.

If you want to complain or counter complaints about the interior go here: Gripes about the Beta interior
If you want to specifically discuss the center console or lack there of go here: Open Center Console

I'd prefer you also left discussion about the Tesla web site out of this thread.
For that stuff I guess you can go here: It's Spring! Where's the finished Design Studio?

How about an interior conspiracy thread to keep all the talk about that in there?