Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's Cold

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup. It's like night and day. The last 9 weeks when you had your car will probably be the worst energy usage you will see (knock on wood ).
I received my car in the spring, so mileage and energy usage was awesome..until November. Preparing for it to be great with warm temperatures.

RMR: Seven Day Forecast - YouTube :wink:

The temperature is positive!!! The temperature is positive!!!

1C.

- - - Updated - - -

Same here...we're waiting longer for +1 than we waited for the car to arrive...:biggrin:

The cold is supposed to break after toady - the long term forecast shows highs of 0 or better for every day going forward. It will be nice to see what energy usage you get in above zero temps - I have owned my P85D for 9 weeks but have almost never driven in above zero conditions.

Coldest February on record. Not a single moment above freezing in the whole month, and no January thaw ether. Really glad that's over!
Not quite the coldest on record - the coldest in recent memory - or here in Toronto since YYZ opened. Apparently 1934 was colder as Lake Ontario completely froze over which is very rare.

It's not hard to believe that this past February was the coldest on record in southern Ontario, and it's been touted as such for Toronto.If you're hearing that, it's likely because readings from Toronto's Pearson Airport definitely show as much, but Weather Network meteorologist Dr. Doug Gillham says the city as a whole has seen colder days.
"The average temperature [at Pearson] of -12.6[SUP]o[/SUP]C shattered the previous record of -10.8[SUP]o[/SUP]C set in 1979," Gillham says. "It should be noted, though, that in Downtown Toronto where we have a longer record of weather data, February 1934 was even colder than this year."
In fact, it was so cold in February 1934 that Lake Ontario is said to have frozen over completely, the only time in 100 years this is said to have occurred ... although without satellite data, it's near impossible to verify that. The lake has not frozen over since the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration began keeping records in 1973.
"In many places with records that go to before 1934, this February will take second place to 1934 (such as in Ottawa)," Gillham says. "However, Timmins is an example of a city where this February was even colder than 1934."

Got a call from a nice lady from Hydro One. She explained that it was a courtesy call. I asked if it was about the huge February bill that was imminent. Yes, that was it. I told her that I was expecting a large bill since my house is electric heat and now the addition of the Tesla charging. She was relieved that I wasn't ranting and raving and thanked me for taking it in stride. That must be a hell of a job, having to phone people with bad Hydro bill news.

The bill for February was $ 850 and $ 150 of that was for the Tesla charging. For comparison, last year my Feb. bill was $ 600. So the extra $ 100 accounts for the brutal cold in February and any rate increases since then.

How many km did you drive for $150 and what is your hydro rate? I had initially calculated about $300 for the year at $0.08/kWh but hadn't considered losses due to the cold. Also hadn't considered how much more driving I'd do with the tesla. Grinning since December!

Ouch, your hydro is more than double the Quebec rate. I'd love to know how many kWh go through my charger at home. Only way I can think of is to check my lifetime energy usage (trip meter). That probably wouldn't account for pre heating and losses though. It'd be nice if the HPWC had a counter on it.

The Ontario Hydro peak rate is 14 cents and the evening rate is 7 cents per kwh BUT then on top there is a Delivery charge, Regulatory charge, and Debt retirement charge and then HST. This all then averages out to more than 18 cents per kwh. I installed an auxiliary digital meter into the line to the HPWC so I know exactly how much went to the car.

Assuming that I could get VT to work is that something you could log - daily amount of charge?

I think VT can do that, but that would log the amount going into the car, but not account for the delivery charges, debt retirement , HST, and loss due to heat during delivery.
-On another note..it's nice to see better numbers on the drive in today as it is hovering around 0 now.

The Ontario Hydro peak rate is 14 cents and the evening rate is 7 cents per kwh BUT then on top there is a Delivery charge, Regulatory charge, and Debt retirement charge and then HST. This all then averages out to more than 18 cents per kwh. I installed an auxiliary digital meter into the line to the HPWC so I know exactly how much went to the car.

Is that an averaged rate for any time of day? I charge 95% of the time on off-peak rates. Do you know what that roughly works out to for Ontario with all the fees and HST? I have been estimating 14 cents, but that's just a guess, no math behind it.

Yes, that is an overall average. So, I reworked my last bill as if it was all off-peak and the new total averages to 17 cents per kw/h. Remember all the other charges are the same regardless of time period. It probably is less if your total consumption is lower. I used last month 4722 kw/h because my house is also electric heat.