Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is TM Spy still the way to go for pulling data from Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been researching this and there was a bunch of posts here on TMC about TM Spy. TM Spy is like Leaf Spy. It is used to pull data from your Model S such as battery temps etc that are not normally displayed.

Most of the posts on TM Spy are a year or 2 or more years old. I notice that the app is still listed in play store for android but it still is a preliminary release so I'm wondering if TM Spy is still the way to go or if maybe another app is now better.

I have a 2012 Model S.

It looks like I need to make a custom adapter cable and buy a blue tooth dongle as explained here:
Using TM-Spy to see Model S data..

Then download TM spy into my phone.

Questions:
Is TM Spy the way to go?
Is the custom cable and bluetooth dongle described in the link above what I should make for my 2012 Model S.??

Thx,
George

can someone post a pictures of both CANbus connector?.
I am at the transitional point and dont know which adapter was installed

I can only show you the 'post 2015' adapter - my car is a 12/16 mfg date.

What I want to know is how to 'test' these programs to make sure they work on my car and with the BT OBDII interface I already have. I really don't want to have to buy a program AND another OBDII BT as I already have $50 invested. Neither of the two programs seem to offer a trial period or refund policy, which is odd as many other programs I have bought give you a few hours or a few days to return...
0504192011.jpg
0504192012.jpg