Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this the end?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay let's make it how musk puts is. The cheapest "compelling electric car people actually want to buy" with a positive margin.

You think pano roofs, auto pilot software and sleek sweeping roofline is free? Let's not even mention the power train difference.
It's not the cheapest if you can't service it - annual services take weeks in some places today, if you are in an accident you can be stuck for months while waiting for a car. Without reliable service, Tesla become "disposable cars" - when it breaks, you buy a new one. That makes the not the cheapest.

You know what’s weird, is us. The members of this forum. We know too much, or more accurately, think we do about everything Tesla.

A friend of mine just told me that his 73 year old mother just ordered a mid-range 3 and is getting it next week. Neither read the forums, but heard the news about the price drop and ordered. No drama. Easy.

They’ll get the car, do a quick walk around, not think to check panel gaps or paint density, and drive it. They won’t look back, they won’t wrap the car, they won’t lower it, tint it, change wheels, or wonder about removing the aero covers. And they most certainly will not read blogs about it.

They will never know the joy we feel talking about how unhappy we are about Tesla.

It’ll be as it should be. Easy.
Next time they need service, or (hopefully not) collision repairs, the said drama will inevitably ensue. I hope you didn't recommend the car, or you'll be the one hearing about it. Personally, I've stopped recommending Tesla to people, even people I recommended to before I tell them the truth, show them scheduling information if I want to schedule something as simple as an annual service today, or tell them my experience when my wife had an accident in a Model S (and compare it to an experience with an accident in a Toyota 4Runner). I still tell them the car drives amazing, but Elon wants it to be a disposable car (when it breaks, do the "one-click-buy" and get a new one, have the old one hauled away and crushed).

Next time they need service, or (hopefully not) collision repairs, the said drama will inevitably ensue. I hope you didn't recommend the car, or you'll be the one hearing about it. Personally, I've stopped recommending Tesla to people, even people I recommended to before I tell them the truth, show them scheduling information if I want to schedule something as simple as an annual service today, or tell them my experience when my wife had an accident in a Model S (and compare it to an experience with an accident in a Toyota 4Runner). I still tell them the car drives amazing, but Elon wants it to be a disposable car (when it breaks, do the "one-click-buy" and get a new one, have the old one hauled away and crushed).
I thought Elon said that was Tesla's #1 goal. To fix the service situation. You don't believe him? Or you just don't think it's fixable? Me personally, I'll believe it when I see it. Keeping my fingers crossed.

This is exactly what they are doing.

Not paying the high rent on these low traffic mall locations will save them millions monthly....not only rent but employee costs.

This is not a bad thing and people are over blowing the situation.
And I’m no mathematician but I feel like that’s a big reason why Tesla can afford to lower the prices on the S/X
Basically passing the saving on to the consumer.

I’ve told my friend about my issues over my last few years of ownership, quite truthfully, but in the end he always saw my shiny model S whenever he saw me, and that was good for him, and for him to green light the purchase to his mother.

My S has only stranded me once when the air suspension failed. Everything else, like I heard a noise, or it pulls to the right, was brought into service in a discretionary manner, and I left with a Tesla loaner 70% of the time.

My friends mother should be fine. They’re the type of people that, if they say anything, it will be either we love it, or we sold it, it wasn’t for us.

I meant it when I said the problem is us (which includes me). Most here love their cars so much, and just want them to be perfect. But perfect has a cost, and often that cost is our own contentment and joy.

I started obsessing the other day about my tire pressure being lower in one tire by one pound from the other three, so I got home, broke out the air compressor, unwound the little 12 volt battery cord, disconnected the in-line fix-a-flat goop tank from the air line, and adjusted the 1 pound low tire to match the others. Then put it all away. 15 minutes of my life. Next day, I have 1 tire high by a pound.

I could go on about seeing the smallest of nicks in the wheel, (Gee, maybe I should get that touched up? I wouldn’t want any of my friends seeing the giant wart growing on my Tesla’s right rear wheel, or worse at a stop light, a BMW owner with stretched tires and wheel gators might pull up next to me and snicker) or starting to think about wrapping the car to protect it from the road grit abrasions. Then lose another hour online researching wheel repair and wraps, who am I kidding, that turns into several days and online debates, which ultimately makes me less happy because now I feel like there is so much work to be done on my new car.

This community is great. I do enjoy reading about upgrades from @MountainPass or seeing great tire/wheel combos, etc, but it is also ridiculous to see people that just spent thousands of dollars wrapping/ceramic coating (sometimes both, and obviously after paint correction too) thinking their car and Tesla are sugar every time a price drop, or firmware update fixes someone else’s Tesla but not theirs.

I imagine service centers would be a whole lot emptier if we as a community didn’t expect perfection, but instead good.

I am not excusing Tesla from very real obligations, they set the bar high with the S and X, and I think many here, with Elon’s showmanship, expect a premium brand experience at all price points, and I think that is where they are failing right now. The optics aren’t good closing a Tesla mall location across from an Apple store.

Even if I were not an owner, I hope they make it, as I hope most businesses will do. It’s in our collective best interests for all businesses to adapt, serve their customers, grow and thrive.

Reactions: shellderp and svp6
Believe the lower pricing will sell many times more cars than the lack of a 10 minute test drive will lose.

A quick rental from Turo will serve as a test drive for those who absolutely must have it before ordering.

If it becomes a big deal, independent businesses could always open up to provide that service, at a cost, but I do not believe it would be sustainable.

American car manufacturers have been wanting to be able to take internet direct orders for some time, but have been unable because of the laws effecting their dealerships.

The largest dealerships in the USA all sell tons of vehicles direct through the internet, with no test drives.

This is the way of the future...

Reactions: EinSV
It's not the cheapest if you can't service it - annual services take weeks in some places today, if you are in an accident you can be stuck for months while waiting for a car. Without reliable service, Tesla become "disposable cars" - when it breaks, you buy a new one. That makes the not the cheapest.

And just what is it that you think needs servicing? Nope. No oil change, no new spark plugs, no filters, no coolant changes, no transmission oil checks, no new timing belts, no new cam shafts, no, no, NO.

I have had two Model S, both with over 80,000 miles on them, and guess what? NO SERVICE. Three plus years each, NO SERVICE. My wife's Model 3, over 10,000 miles, NO SERVICE. Sure, if it needs tires, take it to Tires R Us, or Costco, or order them on line, whatever. That's not what people mean by "service", and Tesla doesn't need "service". Get it? NO SERVICE. Sheesh!

When it breaks, yeah, then you do just like you do with any other car that breaks. You get it fixed. The difference is that there are only about a dozen moving parts in a Tesla drive train, versus about 700 in a gas car. Yeah, for THEM, you need service.

Hope you get this straight. You don't need "annual" service, you don't need ANY service. IF IT BREAKS, you don't do service. You get it fixed.

175,000 miles, NO SERVICE.

Reactions: GeoX750

Please, Mister X. Quit this worrying about service. There ain't none. If you find you need body work, there is no drama there, either. I took mine to my local body shop, they ordered the parts, and in a couple weeks it was done. No drama. Car is like new. Tell your friends that you don't have to "schedule annual service", and quit scheduling annual service. You're just paying for something you don't need. It's a carryover from when people had to have service for their vibrating, polluting, oil-leaking gas cars. Quit it.

I recommend Tesla to anyone. Getting them repaired is like getting any other car repaired. Getting them serviced is silly, as there is none. My Model S repair after, having it messed up in a parking lot, pulling the front off my car, was not a big deal. Order parts, put them on. How could that be different from your Toyota repair? Other than you ended up with a Toyota? (Sorry about that)

And just what is it that you think needs servicing? Nope. No oil change, no new spark plugs, no filters, no coolant changes, no transmission oil checks, no new timing belts, no new cam shafts, no, no, NO.

I have had two Model S, both with over 80,000 miles on them, and guess what? NO SERVICE. Three plus years each, NO SERVICE. My wife's Model 3, over 10,000 miles, NO SERVICE. Sure, if it needs tires, take it to Tires R Us, or Costco, or order them on line, whatever. That's not what people mean by "service", and Tesla doesn't need "service". Get it? NO SERVICE. Sheesh!

When it breaks, yeah, then you do just like you do with any other car that breaks. You get it fixed. The difference is that there are only about a dozen moving parts in a Tesla drive train, versus about 700 in a gas car. Yeah, for THEM, you need service.

Hope you get this straight. You don't need "annual" service, you don't need ANY service. IF IT BREAKS, you don't do service. You get it fixed.

175,000 miles, NO SERVICE.
Battery coolant? A waste?
Brake fluid?
Motor lubricant? A waste?
Wiper fluid?
Fob battery.
Cabin Filters?
Alignments? A waste?

In March 2016, when the Model 3 was launched Elon Musk was asked about the expected ASP on the 3 and said $42k. At the time Autopilot was $2.5k. This is where they expected to be on price. But this isn't how they expected to do it.

I do not doubt that they were hoping to wait a bit longer before selling the SR, but with the level of demand in the USA, global logistics, and demand drops on the S and X with the release of the 3 and other high-end competition, means that they couldn't hold off. Thus, the aggressive cost cutting to get the SR to market sooner, and the price cuts on the S and X to try to churn those.

I imagine service centers would be a whole lot emptier if we as a community didn’t expect perfection, but instead good.
I agree with this based solely on what I read here as some of the stuff people are taking their cars in for seem so trivial, I bought our 3 in the last week of April and will likely have 21 or 22k miles on the car on its one year anniversary, I have yet to go to the service center and I have some small things to have fixed but I figured I might as well wait until something else pops up, in the mean time I just drive the crap out of it and enjoy it immensely.

Please, Mister X. Quit this worrying about service. There ain't none. If you find you need body work, there is no drama there, either. I took mine to my local body shop, they ordered the parts, and in a couple weeks it was done. No drama. Car is like new. Tell your friends that you don't have to "schedule annual service", and quit scheduling annual service. You're just paying for something you don't need. It's a carryover from when people had to have service for their vibrating, polluting, oil-leaking gas cars. Quit it.

I recommend Tesla to anyone. Getting them repaired is like getting any other car repaired. Getting them serviced is silly, as there is none. My Model S repair after, having it messed up in a parking lot, pulling the front off my car, was not a big deal. Order parts, put them on. How could that be different from your Toyota repair? Other than you ended up with a Toyota? (Sorry about that)

That was certainly not my experience on my 2014. I had a lot of service on that vehicle and the service plan was fantastic.

Q
I thought Elon said that was Tesla's #1 goal. To fix the service situation. You don't believe him? Or you just don't think it's fixable? Me personally, I'll believe it when I see it. Keeping my fingers crossed.
He never said it is #1 goal (if he did, it would be solved, or at least Elon would be sleeping at service centers to solve it). He said it's his top priority, which puts in in the group of 1001 top priorities I'm sure. Given that parts and service problems are not new and have been getting works, and he took on the job of VP or sales and service a while back, I don't hold much hope for him fixing it. I think there would be a much better chance if Elon was to step aside and let someone who knows what they are doing AND can actually focus on this problem solve it, without Elon's micromanagement. Of course, there may not be money to fix service and parts, especially if Elon decided to stick to his "I shall not need to raise money again, Tesla will be profitable from now on statement (notice he already stated Q1 will not be profitable, and Q2 maybe). Elon trying to bootstrap the company out of this may actually sink it, by the time he'll have no choice but to raise money, he'll have damaged the brand leaving Tesla only good for acquisition.

I agree with @whitex I had body work done at one time and the initial wait was going to be extremely long. After posting on here someone from Tesla must have read it and I got a call shortly after and all of the sudden the body shop called and said it would be sooner. This led me to believe they really want to make it right, they just may lack the means. Tesla is trying to do so many things at once that I'd imagine, even if intentions are good, they spread themselves thin. My story was a happy ending and the communication I received from Tesla through my experience was incredible, it truly made me a believer in the company. But for every great experience, how many sub par ones are there. A lot of us stretched to buy our dream car, and sometimes I think the perception is if you can afford a Tesla, you can just buy another at any time (got a message my washer fluid is low, oh well, gotta go pick up a new model x) my only fear is that as Tesla grows, they will become more of a "traditional" car company and not the different car experience I grew to love, but that might be what it takes for Tesla to succeed.

I think the perception is if you can afford a Tesla, you can just buy another at any time (got a message my washer fluid is low, oh well, gotta go pick up a new model x)
That appears to be the perception Elon has about all customers, why else would he say "you can buy a car in one minute on a phone, return it within 7 days if you want". Who can do that, other than people who have enough loose cash laying around that they can buy on a phone in one minute, have no trade-in, have another car to drive once they return the Tesla, and don't care if it takes a few days or weeks for the money to get refunded. Elon's dream seems to be for Tesla's to be disposable products, like consumer electronics. Buy a new phone today, throw it away after 2 years, buy a new one. He doesn't want to deal with service, trade-ins (Tesla or others) or CPO's. Yea, there would be a secondary market, but Tesla wouldn't be forced to service is, like Apple is not forced to sell you parts to a 4 year old iphone.

That appears to be the perception Elon has about all customers, why else would he say "you can buy a car in one minute on a phone, return it within 7 days if you want". Who can do that, other than people who have enough loose cash laying around that they can buy on a phone in one minute, have no trade-in, have another car to drive once they return the Tesla, and don't care if it takes a few days or weeks for the money to get refunded. Elon's dream seems to be for Tesla's to be disposable products, like consumer electronics. Buy a new phone today, throw it away after 2 years, buy a new one. He doesn't want to deal with service, trade-ins (Tesla or others) or CPO's. Yea, there would be a secondary market, but Tesla wouldn't be forced to service is, like Apple is not forced to sell you parts to a 4 year old iphone.
Maybe it seems that way, but I'm guessing that's totally not true. He's indicated quite a few times that they are shooting for a million mile car and motor. He knows how important it is for cars not to be disposable. Maybe the return policy thing is just not that well thought out, or he just knows people aren't going to want to return the car anyway. It's not a very realistic solution. People are still going to want test drives.

Maybe it seems that way, but I'm guessing that's totally not true. He's indicated quite a few times that they are shooting for a million mile car and motor. He knows how important it is for cars not to be disposable. Maybe the return policy thing is just not that well thought out, or he just knows people aren't going to want to return the car anyway. It's not a very realistic solution. People are still going to want test drives.
Maybe the service expansion was planned around the million mile car - no service needed for one million miles, except for maybe annual service, tires, and such which they could totally do if that was all they were doing today.

Maybe the service expansion was planned around the million mile car - no service needed for one million miles, except for maybe annual service, tires, and such which they could totally do if that was all they were doing today.
That explains the mess we're in. They really need to start letting independent mechanics work on our cars. I'm hoping their service monopoly will end soon. It's not fair to their customers.

Reactions: shellderp
That explains the mess we're in. They really need to start letting independent mechanics work on our cars. I'm hoping their service monopoly will end soon. It's not fair to their customers.
They don't allow that because then every fix under warranty would get billed by a mechanic to Tesla, with appropriate markup for the shop. Not a viable option when trying to squeeze every penny while a large portion of your cars requires service.