Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this the end?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Battery coolant? A waste?
Brake fluid?
Motor lubricant? A waste?
Wiper fluid?
Fob battery.
Cabin Filters?
Alignments? A waste?

Some things on your list are legit (transmission oil I think it is recommended at 120,000 miles, not sure about any service on the motor or battery coolant).

For my P85D I had a lease through US Bank. I was not convinced of Tesla, and the guaranteed lease-end value (by US Bank should Tesla go belly-up) was contingent on maintaining the yearly service record. So I paid if I remember correctly 600$ twice - got the wiper fluid replenished, something something inspected, and a wheel alignment - which was extra-charge, as it was not included in the service. A complete waste of $1200

So for the 3, I am:
Brake fluid? Not replacing yearly - just like I don't do it in my Merc
Motor lubricant? Not even sure of any required maintenance - but will search this forum :)
Wiper fluid? Just refilled. Took me about 5 minutes
Fob battery. You must be kidding. Never again key fob since the phone unlock
Cabin Filters? I am thinking 3 years - just like the Merc
Alignments? A waste? I'll do it once a year at the shop that swaps my winter and summer wheels

So far so good. And I'll schedule my 2022 service for the oil thingies - just in case Tesla will not be able to do that for me due to overwhelming waiting timeso_O

Last edited:
They don't allow that because then every fix under warranty would get billed by a mechanic to Tesla, with appropriate markup for the shop. Not a viable option when trying to squeeze every penny while a large portion of your cars requires service.
Warranty work would stilll be done by Tesla. Isn’t there a lot of Teslas that are past their warranties?

Some things on your list are legit (transmission oil I think it is recommended at 120,000 miles, not sure about any service on the motor or battery coolant).

For my P85D I had a lease through US Bank. I was not convinced of Tesla, and the guaranteed lease-end value (by US Bank should Tesla go belly-up) was contingent on maintaining the yearly service record. So I paid if I remember correctly 600$ twice - got the wiper fluid replenished, something something inspected, and a wheel alignment - which was extra-charge, as it was not included in the service. A complete waste of $1200

So for the 3, I am:
Brake fluid? Not replacing yearly - just like I don't do it in my Merc
Motor lubricant? Not even sure of any required maintenance - but will search this forum :)
Wiper fluid? Just refilled. Took me about 5 minutes
Fob battery. You must be kidding. Never again key fob since the phone unlock
Cabin Filters? I am thinking 3 years - just like the Merc
Alignments? A waste? I'll do it once a year at the shop that swaps my winter and summer wheels

So far so good. And I'll schedule my 2022 service for the oil thingies - just in case Tesla will not be able to do that for me due to overwhelming waiting timeso_O
There’s no transmission. That’s one of things that make the car so pleasant to drive. The lubricant in the motor is recommended to be replaced only once. At the one year service interval. That and the alignment is the only service I had Tesla perform at the first year service. Don’t plan on going back anytime soon. I’m at 30,000. Thinking about buying my own filters and replacing them myself. Although the old ones still seem to be affective.

Warranty work would stilll be done by Tesla. Isn’t there a lot of Teslas that are past their warranties?
There are a few, but remember that Tesla was ramping production over time, so in 2012 they made less that 10K car, 2013 less than 20K, etc. The number is growing of course. I'm not sure whether it's the out of warranty care that are overwhelming the service centers though. My guess would be no, since the backlogs started with Model 3 launch, and only ones that have been totaled would be out of warranty today, but those are very few plus Tesla often refuses to service salvage cars anyways.

Sales and production of Model 3 is actually looking pretty awesome. Bringing in the $35k base model hits a major company mission objective, generates global headlines and scares the *sugar* out of the likes of GM and Ford! The closing of many expensive shopping mall stores makes sense too in making the lower cost models sustainable.

Price slashing high performance Model S and X is an interesting move. The P models were always considered to be over-priced toys for those with money to burn and now they are about to compete directly with the likes of the brand new Porsche Taycan. This bold move now leaves a major headache for Porsche in pricing up the various performance levels of the Taycan. The base price of the standard Model S/X hasn't really changed much and before the price cut they were actually starting to look very expensive with increasing finance rates (at least here in the UK). Now they will sell far more P models than ever before and less standard models. The cost of the more powerful rear P motor is probably peanuts in production and certainly nothing remotely like the £40k retail price difference before the price drop. All in all I think this is a clever way of upselling the S/X models, pushing most of their customers into the top spec models at a reduced premium. People who would have been in the market for a 75D only a couple of months ago will now be eyeing up the Performance models even though they are still considerably more expensive. Also let's not forget that the Model S is well into middle age on its product cycle, so boosting sales by effectively discounting upgrades is the obvious thing to do and happens all the time in the industry.

Anyway, yeah I think you are being too negative here! If the Model 3 wasn't selling and getting a slating in the press then it would be a very different story. But this looks like a big push to really penetrate the market in the shortest possible time while not losing money in the process.
This is me! Had my eyes set on a 100d for a while, buying a p100d now for slightly more.