Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the P85 too fast/powerful?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the P85+, but what really surprised me is how well-balanced the accelerator is. The first half or so of the pedal depression takes it very easy; it is easy to carefully back into a parking spot or drive through a parking garage and minutely control your speed. It's only when you really start pressing on the pedal that it gets crazy. So particularly for letting other people drive it -- if they're by nature more sedate or cautious, they probably won't even notice the power.

Might sounds like a strange question, but I'm on the fence between the S85 and P85. Leaning toward the latter so I don't end up with regrets down the road, even though it's obviously overkill in terms of performance, especially here in Chicagoland. However, I'm concerned that the acceleration might make it too easy to get into trouble, if not for me, then for others (spouse, parents, etc) who might not have the same experience/comfort level with high performance cars. And it's going to be a family car after all.

So, those with the P85, would you consider the car TOO fast in some situations? Do you let others drive it without concern?

No. You have good control over the acceleration. That said, I've suggested velocity/acceleration limit would be a nice feature should I allow my teenage son to drive the car.

The P is certainly noticeably faster but the standard model is so much quicker off the line then almost any other car ever made that to most people it seems plenty fast. You can get "into trouble" with either model.

If your bank account can handle it get the P. If not, the standard model is tons o' fun!

Totally agree with this. I have the P85. Price has gone up by $20,000 since I got mine so not sure I would still get it as the 85 is plenty fast. If I had all the money I would go straight for the P85+!!!

Every once in a while I start to regret not getting the P; then I remind myself that the difference in acceleration from, say 50 mph to whatever, between the P and the "regular" is noticeable only on a very accurately handled stopwatch. I remind myself I'm within sight of 70 years old and don't really need to scream away from stop lights any more (although I do anyway, sometimes, and it's darn fast); and I recall the other day when a new 'Vette was suddenly trying to catch me, blasting up from behind on a wide-open interstate, and I stepped on it and left him far behind. Slowed down after a few seconds, and when he caught up he gave me a thumbs up with his actual thumb. Given all that, I don't regret not spending the extra $14K. Except once in a while...

I understand the fear but if anything it turns out to be the other way around, the more power you have the more maneuverability you have, given the awesome handling this car has! Precision driving is a joy. I love having the level of control that the performance and + give. The S is great too, but don't avoid the P or + simply out of fear of losing control. you need to give yourself time to get familiar with whichever one you choose.

I should expand on my earlier "No".

The extra oomph in the P85 is mostly at low speeds. By the time you're going 60 kph (40 mph) you really can't tell the difference between the two. So I don't think speeding tickets will be much affected by the "P".

Your right foot is in control. Use it responsibly.

I have an S85 and find myself driving quite quickly unintentionally. My average WH/Mi is about 340 wh/mi after 4800 miles. I don't see how people keep it near or below 300. I'm not a crazy driver, but I do find myself noticing that the speed is pretty high already without the P85. I think in my case the temptation would be too great and would just get me into more trouble.

Not even close, the P85 is fun, but it would be MORE fun if it was AWD 600HP 800 Torque, i want so many G's against my passengers none of them can breath.

BTW my summer average is 160Wh/km (approx 260Wh/Mi), all about self control.... i only push it when im showing the car to strangers (ive already showed all my friends so its only strangers left)

hSEdTON.jpg

I have an S85 and find myself driving quite quickly unintentionally. My average WH/Mi is about 340 wh/mi after 4800 miles. I don't see how people keep it near or below 300. I'm not a crazy driver, but I do find myself noticing that the speed is pretty high already without the P85. I think in my case the temptation would be too great and would just get me into more trouble.

Yes, the lack of auditory clues from the ICE makes either version deceptive. My wife got her first speeding ticket in 20 years. She saw the highway patrol, and backed off before she passed him, but only backed off to 80! Still didn't realize just how fast she was going.