Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Model S a villian now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some of the review is not completely off (sub par brakes, no stalks, steering ratio not setup correctly for a yoke etc), but overall it seems biased against the Plaid mainly around driving dynamics.

The dynamics or lack thereof seems to be the primary focus of the review. I guess that's not surprising considering the 1020 hp and the connotations around that.

Chris Perkins is a tool and has zero credibility. I test drove a Plaid last week and loved it to the point that I’m getting one as soon as the new seat option is available (will also get the track pack). This from someone who owned an F12 and has owned 9 different Ferrari’s, two McLarens, a Gallardo, a GT3RS, and two Model 3’s (a long range w/acceleration boost and a perf).

Chris has obviously been shunned by Tesla somehow in the past and is trying to soil their good name and product. Wouldn’t piss on Chris if he was on fire.

I have no mechanical, electronic, or other issues with my Plaid, I don't have the yoke, and it took me two minutes to get used to the steering wheel horn, turn signals, high beam, etc.

Is it under-braked for the performance? yes ... but there's a solution to that if it matters to you.
I completely disagree with the dynamics criticism ... it's on par with previous performance sedans I've owned like the E63S or M5, or at least close enough so as I don't feel unsafe. Heck the AMG drove like jackhammer in its softest setting and the tranny was a jerky hot mess. At the end of the day, unless you go hypercar handling hardware and money, there's almost no dynamics that are going to compensate for a 1000hp brick driven incompetently, but power aside the MSP handles as a performance sedan should. I do agree that it's batpoop scary fast and it's beyond most people's abilities to control at full throttle, but but so is a Taycan TTS.

Also, although it's not like MSPs will not depreciate, go ahead and buy a Taycan Turbo S and see what happens.
Within a year it will be like you bought two MSPs and decided to set one on fire.

I mean he’s not entirely wrong. Honestly I would have bought a Taycan over the plaid if I had the money. But even a 4S or GTS was coming in at considerably more expensive than the plaid, and I just couldn’t justify spending that much on a car.

I figure I can enjoy the plaid for what it is and set money aside to eventually buy a 911 or something

I guess lens/perspective is important. I never considered the Plaid to be a track-worthy performance car and its chassis dynamics are never going to support that sort of expectation no matter how big the brakes are nor how firm you tune the springs and dampers. So yeah, it falls short if that's your angle.

The Muskian quirks and obvious cost-cutting decisions are part of the deal and the main reason why you can buy a Plaid for half of a Taycan. Some people are fine with that. Others not so much.

It's a grocery getter / road tripper with irresponsible levels of power. That's my lens, and it's hard to be disappointed in it from that perspective at the current price on offer.

"We haven't tested that kit [Track Pack] yet as it's fairly new to the market" should accompany the article's headline. YouTubers in EUROPE have already run it around the 'Ring and apologized for casting judgment too soon. Why so lazy USA R&T?

I just drove this Track Packed toaster from LA to SD back to LA after a day of work meetings. I stupid ez charged up right off I-5N in 7 mins with a Starbucks piss break with zero stress/anxiety about getting back home or getting lit up by anything short of a Rimac.

IMG_0266.jpeg

There was a two spot EV go station nearby that had weeds growing around it. Have a blast Mr. Taycan. Deuces. Villain out.

Last edited:
I'd say the R&T guy is a Tesla Hater.
For me the brakes are perfectly fine for a street car. With the regenerative braking I hardly use the brakes at all.
How many people actually go racing?
I'm not going to be doing constant full brake applications.
Those people who do can add the Tesla Brake Package.
I bought the Plaid for it's performance having had a long line of ICE Muscle Cars.
My criticisms of the S Plaid come down to the size of the text.
The car has a huge screen with small print.
It could be bigger and more colors than Black or White with Blue
Plus the GPS is always on and you can't turn it off or set it to 3D View like a Garmin.
I also have BMW iX M60 EV SUV with 600 hp with larger text and more colors in the display along with Album Art.

On the BMW GPS it actually uses the front camera with sequential arrows when it tells you to turn
I thought I wouldn't like it but I really like the steering wheel other than the buttons.
I would have prefered stalks for lights and wipers and a horn in the middle.
I typically drive with one hand at the 7-8 clock position and it's perfect.
Plus an added feature is the for getting in and out of the car you can put the wheel upside down and
get an extra 6 inches of clearance.

I like driving with 2 feet and there's no way to turn off the 2 foot beeping.
But I'm getting better I've learned to live with it.
Otherwise I've made some Mods and added Wheels Subs and Laser Jammers.

The touch screen gear selector is fine however on my BMW the front camera comes on when going from reverse to drive and stays on until the car is going 10 mph or so.
My last complaint is that my Plaid did not come with Auto Dimming door mirrors.
Oncoming cars from behind the headlights are really bright at night.
Auto Dimming mirrors should be standard on the Plaid.
Maybe I can get Teslas Service to install them.

Last edited:
The Plaid reminds me of when the Nissan GTR first came out. It blew every other car out of the water and was cheaper still. People hated that, called it a computer on wheels, etc. Other cars have caught up and surpassed the GTR since however it really did rock the boat when it came out. The Plaid is doing the same and it's cheaper. Call it what you may and argue whatever you want, it's still a lot of punch for the dollar.

At the end of the day, people will talk with their wallets more than their hearts; and nobody with a sane mind will dish out this much cash for a "car", period.

I hope the Plaid will continue to set the standard that other companies will catch up to or surpass. Competition is good for us consumers.

I'd say the R&T guy is a Tesla Hater.
For me the brakes are perfectly fine for a street car. With the regenerative braking I hardly use the brakes at all.
How many people actually go racing?
I'm not going to be doing constant full brake applications.
Those people who do can add the Tesla Brake Package.
I bought the Plaid for it's performance having had a long line of ICE Muscle Cars.
My criticisms of the S Plaid come down to the size of the text.
The car has a huge screen with small print.
It could be bigger and more colors than Black or White with Blue
Plus the GPS is always on and you can't turn it off or set it to 3D View like a Garmin.
I also have BMW iX M60 EV SUV with 600 hp with larger text and more colors in the display along with Album Art.

On the BMW GPS it actually uses the front camera with sequential arrows when it tells you to turn
I thought I wouldn't like it but I really like the steering wheel other than the buttons.
I would have prefered stalks for lights and wipers and a horn in the middle.
I typically drive with one hand at the 7-8 clock position and it's perfect.
Plus an added feature is the for getting in and out of the car you can put the wheel upside down and
get an extra 6 inches of clearance.

I like driving with 2 feet and there's no way to turn off the 2 foot beeping.
But I'm getting better I've learned to live with it.
Otherwise I've made some Mods and added Wheels Subs and Laser Jammers.

The touch screen gear selector is fine however on my BMW the front camera comes on when going from reverse to drive and stays on until the car is going 10 mph or so.
My last complaint is that my Plaid did not come with Auto Dimming door mirrors.
Oncoming cars from behind the headlights are really bright at night.
Auto Dimming mirrors should be standard on the Plaid.
Maybe I can get Teslas Service to install them.
Nothing says premium like dirt, drywall screws, and a frunk full of random crap lol. Sorry always amused by your “creativity“. The Plaid does have auto dimming mirrors strongly suggest a look through the manual. “BMW the front camera comes on when going from reverse to drive and stays on until the car is going 10 mph or so.” Why? Is the big glass windscreen not enough visibility??

Nothing says premium like dirt, drywall screws, and a frunk full of random crap lol. Sorry always amused by your “creativity“. The Plaid does have auto dimming mirrors strongly suggest a look through the manual. “BMW the front camera comes on when going from reverse to drive and stays on until the car is going 10 mph or so.” Why? Is the big glass windscreen not enough visibility??
I see you're your usual jolly self :cool:
You should look more carefully.
It's not random crap
The frunk contains a 12v power jack, tire cross, 12v air compressor with sealer, tire patch kit and an 18v impact gun.
Everything I would need if I got a flat on the road..
The front camera is good as it shows you what's below the sight line.
It's not a big deal. I was merely pointing out the differences.
I'll check the menu again about the mirrors.
Maybe I somehow missed it.

• Funny
Reactions: Yelobird
Doesn’t all that crap fly around your frunk and get damaged every time you smash the accelerator? 1.5g X a 3 pound impact gun could do some damage! I make it a point to keep nothing in the frunk or trunk so I can smash the accelerate with free will!
Nothing flies around.
The frunk has a forward slope and these tools are too heavy even for the Plaid acceleration.

But since you mentioned it I decided to make a press fit cover from some high density 2" foam.

I covered it with black felt

and used some Velcro for extra hold.

Nothing is going to move at all now.

I couldn't put the stuff in the trunk since I built a dual 12" sub box.

I had a Car Stereo shop put in the amp along with an extra battery

I also added some extra tweeters the Car Stereo shop will hook up for me next week.

I also redid my level controls to add the tweeters.
Before

After
better looking IMO
Just needs a methyl alcohol solvent rag wipe when I'm settled on the final position.

Last edited:
Dude, I gotta say you’re my hero. I love your “I don’t give a running fuk about what people think about my car!” The sticking-out tweeters in front of the sunglasses holder is gold. Pure gold. You, Sir, rock that Plaid just the way you want it. Personally, some iridescent flames down the sides of each front door would be the ultimate flex.
You're right.
I do what I want and don't care what people think.
I'm only here posting to entertain the regulars who have enjoyed my posts
and the mocking Trolls with the handi skills of a car wash attendant such as yourself.
Otherwise this place is pretty boring.
I like my sunglass holder and where I put it.
There's nowhere else good to put extra tweeters.
I used to put them at the top of the A Pillars but the side curtain airbags are there
and they can get blown across the car in a collision.
That actually happened with my Trackhawk.