Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tapatalk not going to be supported with the new forum?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've made the move to reading and responding on browser. Still prefer Tapatalk. I really miss the notifications of threads and mentions, etc.
I was also a Tapatalk user (when mobile) before the change. I agree with most here that it was quicker to navigate. I may not have had the best workflow, because I don't find the difference to be staggering compared to the browser.

One benefit to using the new interface is that you can see alerts related to feedback, trouble reports, etc. You can also give feedback to posts, which Tapatalk never supported (rep in the old system). So there are some benefits to the new system.

From reading this thread, I get the feeling that the people who are the most frustrated are those who use tablets. I may be reading into it. I never browsed with Tapatalk or my browser on my iPad, so I don't have that reference. I only used it on my phone.

From reading this thread, I get the feeling that the people who are the most frustrated are those who use tablets. I may be reading into it. I never browsed with Tapatalk or my browser on my iPad, so I don't have that reference. I only used it on my phone.

Not me. Using the web interface on a phone is workable, but it's like walking in deep mud-- you definitely get where you are going, but it takes longer and it's messy.

Actually using the web interface on a tablet is somewhat better since it's easier to navigate and use multiple tabs, etc.

I would think it's just the opposite-- Tapatalk really shines on the smaller devices.

I was also a Tapatalk user (when mobile) before the change. I agree with most here that it was quicker to navigate. I may not have had the best workflow, because I don't find the difference to be staggering compared to the browser.

One benefit to using the new interface is that you can see alerts related to feedback, trouble reports, etc. You can also give feedback to posts, which Tapatalk never supported (rep in the old system). So there are some benefits to the new system.

I use only iPhone. Never iPad.

In iPad I guess the gap between using browser and Tapatalk is less and perhaps tolerable.

I've used it in both mobile phone and tablet (Tapatalk and browser). It's workable. Just have to find my watched threads and watched forums. I do like the varying degrees of "likes" on the new system. As with many, I used Tapatalk over a number of forums, but since it's only one other forum for me (for a total of two forums when TMC was on it) the change isn't drastic.

Now I can't write posts on the phone. I can Rate others' posts, but neither Firefox nor Safari lets me use the text-entry window for Quick Post or Advanced Editing. The keyboard and formatting never come up.
I tested Reporting and that does allow text entry.
iOS 9.3.1, and I don't know if posting died exactly when I updated or not.

Now I can't write posts on the phone. I can Rate others' posts, but neither Firefox nor Safari lets me use the text-entry window for Quick Post or Advanced Editing. The keyboard and formatting never come up.
I tested Reporting and that does allow text entry.
iOS 9.3.1, and I don't know if posting died exactly when I updated or not.
I am on iOS 9.3.1 on an iPhone as I reply to your post.

Works fine here.

Not me. Using the web interface on a phone is workable, but it's like walking in deep mud-- you definitely get where you are going, but it takes longer and it's messy.

Out of curiosity, what phones are people using to access the forum?

I am using an iPhone 5, which is starting to show its age as far as performance. Are people having better luck with newer generation phones? The A9 processor in the 6s is a beast, and it's got 2GB of RAM. My phone has the A6, which only has 1 GB. Newer memory intensive apps and big web pages really hurt...

Out of curiosity, what phones are people using to access the forum?

I am using an iPhone 5, which is starting to show its age as far as performance. Are people having better luck with newer generation phones? The A9 processor in the 6s is a beast, and it's got 2GB of RAM. My phone has the A6, which only has 1 GB. Newer memory intensive apps and big web pages really hurt...
I've tried the web browser version on an iPhone 5, Blackberry Q10, Z10, iPad 2, and iPad Retina...

Performance is ok. It's the difficulty of finding new interesting threads in sub-forums that I follow and lack of notifications. Tapatalk would notify me of new subjects in threads that I follow and can add new watched threads, whereas on the browser (regardless of desktop or mobile) it's a little more involved to see if there are any new threads that i want to follow.

Welcome to the club

You sure complain about this whenever you get the chance, in this thread and others, so oddly enough you seem to be able to navigate and participate quite well without Tapatalk after all.

I've stopped missing it almost completely, would still like push notifications to my phone and Apple watch for conversations and being quoted (not for likes etc).

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I've stopped missing it almost completely, would still like push notifications to my phone and watch for conversations and being quoted (not for likes etc).
While they're not push notification, you can still customize your alerts. Hover over the alert bell, and select "Alert Preferences". You can remove all of the feedback alerts and just keep mentions, etc. Possible you already knew that and wanted specifically push notifications.. but just in case.

• Helpful
Reactions: Johan
To make it more convenient to use this forum on iOS devices, I made an app (a few lines of code) that launches this forum's website. It’s a separate app and uses the Safari View Controller, so has all the functionality of Safari on iOS, but is a separate app, so it easier to launch and keep track of - it also has all the security features of Safari. The code is available on github:

GitHub - araxara/TMC-Forum: Seperate app for accessing Tesla Motors Club Forum using SFSafariViewController

You can also specify an initial webpage to load in Settings, in case you would rather start at a different webpage. You’ll have to build and install this yourself on your iOS device, but all the tools for that are available free from Apple (How it works - Apple Developer Program).

To make it more convenient to use this forum on iOS devices, I made an app (a few lines of code) that launches this forum's website. It’s a separate app and uses the Safari View Controller, so has all the functionality of Safari on iOS, but is a separate app, so it easier to launch and keep track of - it also has all the security features of Safari. The code is available on github:

GitHub - araxara/TMC-Forum: Seperate app for accessing Tesla Motors Club Forum using SFSafariViewController

You can also specify an initial webpage to load in Settings, in case you would rather start at a different webpage. You’ll have to build and install this yourself on your iOS device, but all the tools for that are available free from Apple (How it works - Apple Developer Program).

On Android, I just use "Add to Home screen".

Status
Not open for further replies.