Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Solar City THE company to go with?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I fear I already know the answer to this question: do any of these outfits offer complete systems that include battery storage and the ability to ride out grid outages for some period of time? I'd like the grid to be my backup; no single point of failure.

Thanks,
Alan

P.S. See Plan: Off grid solar with a Model S battery pack at the heart for someone who is building such a system, albeit with the intent to go completely off-grid.

I fear I already know the answer to this question: do any of these outfits offer complete systems that include battery storage and the ability to ride out grid outages for some period of time? I'd like the grid to be my backup; no single point of failure.
There are several companies that do this. IMO, it's pricey, but if you have dodgy grid power, it might be worth it.

My experience has been the same. I called my insurance company/agent shortly after the install and inquired as to whether the solar panels were covered and they said they were covered under my existing policy.

Also, my (and most I believe) panels are rated to withstand up to 1" hail at terminal velocity so like you said anything big enough to damage the panels will likely take the rest of the shingles out as well.

Solar panel hail test on YouTube

Mike
I called my agent after my system was installed, and they said it was covered if (a) I owned it and (b) it was permanently installed.

I was also told that my panels are rated for 1" hail at 60mph, or something like that (in response to "how will they take a golf ball?")

I live on a golf course, and occasional slices land in my yard (or hit the house). After one year, no golf ball damage to the panels (we'll see how they hold up).

Can you please give me some company names?

Thanks,
Alan

There are several companies that do this. IMO, it's pricey, but if you have dodgy grid power, it might be worth it.

- - - Updated - - -

How many golf ball strikes on that roof during the past year?

Thanks,
Alan

I called my agent after my system was installed, and they said it was covered if (a) I owned it and (b) it was permanently installed.

I was also told that my panels are rated for 1" hail at 60mph, or something like that (in response to "how will they take a golf ball?")

I live on a golf course, and occasional slices land in my yard (or hit the house). After one year, no golf ball damage to the panels (we'll see how they hold up).