Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Regen suddenly weaker / delayed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One word: psychosomatic

OP here. that's certainly possible as far as weakened regen.

but, the other part of the post was about delayed regen -- a fuller braking effect kicking in a second later. i've noticed it a couple times more in the last two days, only when going 50+, but filed a Bug Report and am talking w Tesla about it. i don't think i'm imagining it. will keep you posted.

There's an inside joke among Mac users. Whenever Apple issues an update, the forums invariably fill up with threads about the update making their Macs "snappier". The meme after an Mac OS software update seems to be "but does it feel snappier?" I think that after we receive a software update, we are hyper aware of everything the car does in an attempt to find changes in behavior. When someone is intent upon finding something, he or she will invariably find something. But that something may not really be a thing. This also explains why we see faces on Mars and come up with elaborate conspiracy theories about events long after they've occurred.

Then more recently, they cut the regen down from a max of about 90 kW to a max of about 60 kW. I assumed it was to extend battery life, or something, although superchargers are able to put charge into the battery at a greater amount.

Are you sure about that? In two years of firmware updates since 4.x I never saw anything greater than 60kW, certainly not 90kW.

In fact there is a whole thread asking for the regen to go above 60kW:
Firmware feature request - Option for Regen 60 kW?

Last edited:
still awaiting word from engineering on this. anecdotally, i should point out that before saturday, i had repeatedly remarked about how i almost never needed to use the brake pedal thanks to regen, but since then, i am noticing i need to use the brakes quite often (comparatively speaking).

more to come...

still awaiting word from engineering on this. anecdotally, i should point out that before saturday, i had repeatedly remarked about how i almost never needed to use the brake pedal thanks to regen, but since then, i am noticing i need to use the brakes quite often (comparatively speaking).

more to come...

Thanks for pursuing this with Tesla. Many of us are eager to know what you learn.

- - - Updated - - -

This whole discussion would be moot if they would simply add an option for stronger regen. That Would make a lot of folks very happy at no cost to everyone else.

I'd be one of them for sure.

- - - Updated - - -

This whole discussion would be moot if they would simply add an option for stronger regen. That Would make a lot of folks very happy at no cost to everyone else.

I'd be one of them for sure.

more to come...

If you're driving a D, the variability in the regen onset ramp can easily mess up your timing and have you reaching for the brake pedal with some frequency. See my post (#20) earlier in this thread.

If you're driving a D, the variability in the regen onset ramp can easily mess up your timing and have you reaching for the brake pedal with some frequency. See my post (#20) earlier in this thread.

that video was very interesting, thanks for posting.

i happened to take a photo of my dashboard a few weeks ago, prior to The Change, and while letting off the gas at 90mph (i know), the needle dropped instantly to full green. has not been doing so since then.

OP here with another update - took the car on its first road trip this weekend. was a fun adventure with the Tesla, hope to post pics of the trip soon.

noticed that when lifting off the go pedal at 45+ MPH, regen lights up fully green as normal but actual braking/deceleration is not very noticeable at first, but kicks in hard as the car slows below 45/46 mph. noticed this cutoff at 45/46 consistently. service is going to pull logs and take a look. more to come.....

Then more recently, they cut the regen down from a max of about 90 kW to a max of about 60 kW. I assumed it was to extend battery life, or something, although superchargers are able to put charge into the battery at a greater amount.
I don't recall ever seeing the 90 kW regen you speak of. Was this something they changed after Founder but before Signature?

But, rereading, you say "recently". That wouldn't be recent.

Hrm.

Edit 1:
The earliest picture I could find quickly of my speedometer was from 12/8/2012 and the bottom-most tick for the regen arc was 60 kW.
20121208_Speedometer_1000Miles.jpg

Edit 2:
Boy do I miss that projected UI and below-speedometer range estimate. :(

Edit 3:

The gray portions read (top to bottom, left to right):
Proj. Range
Projected from the last 30 miles

The bottom bar reads:
1,000 38° Sat Dec 8 5:18 PM

Last edited:
I've never seen the #90 BUT before this last FW update my regen would shoot well past the 60 when at high speeds. (I'm secretly hoping it's my studs digging in and when they come off next week my regen will be better but I don't remember my regen being this way last winter)

more to come...

so they appear to have dialed down the regen from the accel pedal? Perhaps with the ibooster they have moved some of that missing regen to be triggered by the brake pedal? So the brake pedal will make electricity instead of brake dust?