Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is FSD holding anyone back from new refreshed S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That IS a slippery slope, and soon religions will be banned too, for not delivering.

People need to have freedom to buy into stupid stuff, it's a basic human need, for some of us.
I see it more of black and white, literally, writing in a contract. If I purchase an advertised product under a contract, the vendor usually must provide the product within a reasonable period of time, even if the time is not specified. The Federal Trade Commission and trade laws generally frown on selling snake oil to vulnerable people like myself. :) This is why such actions are prohibited.

Reactions: glide
That IS a slippery slope, and soon religions will be banned too, for not delivering.

People need to have freedom to buy into stupid stuff, it's a basic human need, for some of us.
Not sure I understand the comparison. Religion is faith based and there’s no fact either way.

Tesla is selling you a commodity, that they aren’t delivering on, and keep saying one day we’ll deliver it.

That’s like selling ocean front property in Arizona and saying well one day california might collapse into the ocean, maybe, but please do pay me for ocean front property today.

• Funny
Reactions: QUBO and glide

Pretty sure consumer protection laws exist for exactly this purpose. To prevent companies (not religious organizations) from selling goods that don’t deliver on their promises.

If Tesla were to offer a “lift and shift” option to remove the FSD on my current car and allow me to apply it to a new S order for free I would strongly consider. If they let the premium connectivity and unlimited supercharging (which I’ve only used 5-6 times) I probably put my $$ down right now.

Not rational response as the value of those items is pretty small … but…

They wouldn’t “sell a few more” though. Right now literally every car they can make is spoken for before it’s produced, despite raising prices across the board by thousands of dollars this year.

Offering incentives right now to existing owners would just replace a full-price sale with a discounted one. That would be dumb.

Maybe they’ll care about making existing owners “feel special” when demand softens and they’ve got some extra cars to sell. That would make more business sense.
I’m sure you’re right from a standpoint of business sense. The thing is once my loyalty and warm feeling toward Tesla has eroded away, it won’t matter if Tesla wants to instill that feeling again. It’ll be over. And if there is a non Tesla electric that offers me more for less, why would I buy the Tesla, I’ll remember it’s only about money for Tesla. It’s business. I’d be stupid to stick with a company out of a misguided sense of loyalty. Sure I took a chance buying a Tesla, and I was paid off with freebies for that. But that’s over now. No freebies with the next one. And the money I paid for promises, well that was a little stupid of me wasn’t it? No, this Tesla I have now is great, but there are others to consider. That Tesla truck? It really is funny looking, and Ford has been building trucks since before Musk was born. I could live with a normal looking Ford electric truck, a truck that’s not from a company that I used to like a lot.

My son in law is in the market for an electric. I’d point him towards a Tesla. But the business sense moneygrubbers at Tesla may not treat him well. They certainly let down the old man. No, he can decide on his own. And without me singing the praises of Tesla to all who will listen, Tesla might have to start paying for advertising. That’ll be a business decision as well. An expensive one. Just ask the other manufacturers.

Customer loyalty and goodwill has value. The other companies value it. For Tesla to squander it isn’t just foolish, it’s a damned poor business decision..

The rumors of the price going up to $14,000 for something that they haven't even delivered yet just aggravates me. Some people paid for FSD 5 years ago and got nothing. Most people don't keep cars more than 3-5 years. How about they deliver something before raising the price again?????!!!!!

Unfortunately, too many people fell for the last price increase to $10,000 as an indication it must finally be coming soon, better buy it now.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me a third time and I'm just a friggen idiot! Won't happen a 4th time!!

Things like this is just one of the things where Tesla the company just gets on my nerves. Pay $250,000 up front to get your Roadster in less than 2 years!! Some fell for that too. Many others paid $50,000 for basically the same thing and a bunch paid $5,000. What has it been now, pushing 4 years and still no sign of the roadster. Service is another....... Love my current Car, but.......

>>I’ll remember it’s only about money for Tesla. It’s business.<<

Very sad: I put down AU$165k on an S because I really believe in Musk's long term objective of converting everyone to renewables, and would like to see that not rewarded, but acknowledged by his company.

It's a shame that "FSD" only amounts to summon and lane changing right now. I have both of those features on my car now and they're nice to have. I use summon to pull my car out of my garage when I need to get into my attic or if I'm in a tight parking spot. Without lane changing on AP you need to disable/override AP, change lanes yourself, then reengage AP. Maybe not the end of the world, but annoying. I'd have to shell out $10k to have those features on the next car, and that's not worth it.
AP1 = maximum bang for your buck. It really sucks that Elon and MobilEye got into that urination duel 5 years ago. I think Tesla would be closer to actual FSD than they are now.

>>I’ll remember it’s only about money for Tesla. It’s business.<<

Very sad: I put down AU$165k on an S because I really believe in Musk's long term objective of converting everyone to renewables, and would like to see that not rewarded, but acknowledged by his company.
I think it’s nice of you, but I hope the car proves well worth that AU$165K on its own. If you are looking for Tesla to send you warm fuzzies because you are now a member of the fold, that’s probably not going to happen. It should happen, I think it won’t.

When I got my car, strangers would see me charging and stop to talk and ask questions. Tesla drivers were fairly rare and we’d wave to one another. We were all friends and we’d talk at superchargers. Now we see a large number of Teslas, we commonly count 3 or 4 of them just driving 5 miles across town. They’re everywhere. That’s a good thing, it means electric cars are going mainstream.

It used to be if one needed service, Tesla was accommodating, almost always, there were high end Tesla loaners available. The service people were Tesla people, they didn’t just work there, they believed. Those days are gone. They don’t need to be, that’s all I‘m saying. Tesla can take good care of their customers, and they should, because every time they sell a Tesla, it’s a chance to make that buyer a lifetime customer. If Tesla doesn’t go out of it’s way, those people will be lost to Tesla when those people replace those cars in 3-5 years. And if next time when that customer shops around, Tesla will give another car maker an opening to make that customer theirs for life instead of Tesla’s.

When Tesla is the only game in town, they may feel they can afford to lose customers. After all there are plenty of customers, they sell all the cars they can make. But Tesla won’t remain the only game in town, everybody will get into the game, and that will happen much more quickly than Tesla thinks. Failure to do all they can to make every buyer a lifetime Tesla customer will come back and bite them.

>>I think it’s nice of you, but I hope the car proves well worth that AU$165K on its own. If you are looking for Tesla to send you warm fuzzies because you are now a member of the fold, that’s probably not going to happen. It should happen, I think it won’t.<<

I thought I'd made it clear that I was referring to the after sales service that so many find disappointing. It's as if Musk and his company feel they've achieved the objective of leading the way into EVs (there are several hundred different models worldwide now) and can "play around" with games, farts, yokes and the like with no duty to those who purchased cars. CARS! - it's worth repeating that word: Tesla fans bought into the Tesla world, but millions of prospective EV drivers will be watching ALL the manufacturers to judge which will deliver an ownership experience which is trouble free.

I hasten to add that my sole experience of a SC has been good - they fixed the cinch motor to the rear trunk - but actually getting to speak to someone is virtually impossible. It's the little things that your average Joe finds lacking.

I love my 2017 Tesla, best decision I ever made. I love my Enhanced AutoPilot too... but if anyone is actually trying to defend the way FSD was marketed and sold, in my opinion, they are blind followers! It was so obviously over hyped. Being in the industry, I knew for sure there would be not actual FSD, and chuckled when the sales guy told me "pending regulatory approval.. .probably just a few months away". LOL. For those with the $$ to spend on watching the improvements and marveling at the little animations and such, cool... I am just really happy I got grandfathered into Enhanced AutoPilot with Navigate on AutoPilot.. it does everything I need, including driving my commute about 80% for me! Love the car, but for those who aren't grounded in the tech, Tesla totally "lied", you bet they did. Like someone said, those who paid for it basically funded Tesla's development, that's it.

I love my car as well. I had one service issue, my mirror would no longer unfold properly. Tesla sent a ranger to the house and replaced the mirror, he was excellent. My only other issue is the yellowing of the perimeter of the screen. I bought a UV nail hardener on Amazon so I’ll alter that to make a UV source to attempt to fix the yellowing. My yellowing is prominent but doesn’t interfere with reading the information so I’ve been putting off making the device. I get issues every now and again with software but the next version usually fixes it. I like tech so I enjoy the updates. I do have the FSD but I got it during one of their sales and it includes a computer upgrade so I’m satisfied with that purchase as well. We tend to keep our cars, we just replaced a 2004 Honda minivan with a 2022 Kia Telluride SX. That Kia has the equivalent of the traffic aware cruise control and it’s also got the automatic steering that keeps the vehicle centered in the lane. Honestly those are the valuable parts of the Tesla autopilot system to me. The TACC isn’t quite as good as Tesla’s but the steering is more gentle. I don’t have enough miles on the Kia to see if it suffers from the sudden ghost braking that my Tesla sometimes does. There was little traffic last time so I let the ghost braking operate without taking over to see what happened, basically the car slows fairly suddenly to 15 mph below the previous speed then braking stops and it accelerates back up to the cruise control speed. I wouldn’t want it to occur with someone close behind me but I haven’t heard of rear end collisions from this. Anyway I’m confident that Tesla will fix it. I do enjoy being on the cutting edge and I really do enjoy all the updates. All my previous cars were static, the car remained just as it was when purchased. My Tesla is constantly updated. I always treat the car as if the software is a beta version so I never quite trust it. I’m quick to take over. That keeps me alert even on long trips. So I’m with you, I love the car.