Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is $10K too much?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Uber has been in the business of ride-hailing services for years and has not made any profit.

Tesla thinks if we don't pay for the human driver then we should be profitable.

That's what Waymo is doing now in Chandler, AZ: Eliminating human drivers while providing ride-hailing services. Waymo has never been profitable so far. It's doubtful it will be profitable any time soon with this new driverless system either.
I was talking about the Model 3 in particular being a bad robotaxi (my head hits the glass in the rear seat! My knees are in my face. The door handles would be hard for drunk people to operate. The doors do not automatically open and close. Etc.). I would much rather ride in a Model Y or the GM/Cruise Origin.
It will definitely be a profitable business, for the company making the software and hardware. Note that Tesla requires the use of their network if you use your car as a robotaxi.

I was talking about the Model 3 in particular being a bad robotaxi (my head hits the glass in the rear seat! My knees are in my face. The door handles would be hard for drunk people to operate. The doors do not automatically open and close. Etc.). I would much rather ride in a Model Y or the GM/Cruise Origin.
It will definitely be a profitable business, for the company making the software and hardware. Note that Tesla requires the use of their network if you use your car as a robotaxi.

I didn’t even think about the handles. Both inside and out are weird and require explanation to most people. I can’t imagine what a drunk person getting into a driverless version would do if they were in the back and didn’t notice the little button. They might freak out and kick out the window.

Didn't people who got 2.5 and paid for FSD, not EAP, get the HW3 upgrade free of charge?

Yeah, but most of them paid $3k more than the people who got EAP, and they purchased the same feature set up front (meaning all these people, EAP & FSD, had exactly the same functionality at the time of purchase, and indeed, the same until ~earlier this year or whenever the traffic light stuff, etc. came on line).

I'm just saying it wasn't a free upgrade. You just paid for it in advance. EAP owners don't get upgraded!

Yeah, but most of them paid $3k more than the people who got EAP, and they purchased the same feature set up front (meaning all these people, EAP & FSD, had exactly the same functionality at the time of purchase, and indeed, the same until ~earlier this year or whenever the traffic light stuff, etc. came on line).

OK that was before my time here, so I didn’t know the ins and outs of that deal. What I was referring to as "free" was that they didn’t have to pay extra at the time the hardware was actually installed. I don't think HW4 will be that way. I think even if you pay $10K for FSD next Thursday you'll still have to pay extra to upgrade to HW4 whenever that's released. Only way they're offering that upgrade for free is if they determine that it's impossible for them to deliver on their advertised functionality with HW3, which seems unlikely based on current beta.

...Shop around what other manufacturers are asking for their ADAS packages. 10K isn't big at all...

Others don't sell driverless features yet but they do sell L2 ADAS or Tesla Autopilot on freeway equivalent.

For 2020 Cadillac CT6, Super Cruise became standard on higher trims.

Now, Super Cruise costs $2,500 in 2021 Cadillac Escalade Premium Luxury Platinum and Sport Platinum while the basic ADAS (mainly Smart Cruise, Reverse Automatic Braking, Enhanced Automatic Emergency Braking...) is included ($3,650 for lower models or $6,150 total).

There's a $25/month connectivity fee after 3 years of a free trial but the Smart Cruise and Autosteer still work if you don't pay after 3 years but you do lose updated maps and GPS corrections for hands-free driving.

Others don't sell driverless features yet but they do sell L2 ADAS or Tesla Autopilot on freeway equivalent.

For 2020 Cadillac CT6, Super Cruise became standard on higher trims.

Now, Super Cruise costs $2,500 in 2021 Cadillac Escalade Premium Luxury Platinum and Sport Platinum while the basic ADAS (mainly Smart Cruise, Reverse Automatic Braking, Enhanced Automatic Emergency Braking...) is included ($3,650 for lower models or $6,150 total).

There's a $25/month connectivity fee after 3 years of a free trial but the Smart Cruise and Autosteer still work if you don't pay after 3 years but you do lose updated maps and GPS corrections for hands-free driving.

What's the price difference between a base model Escalade and the cheapest one with Super Cruise? That's what makes sense to compare.

Base Escalade is 76K, to get Super Cruise you need to get the Premium Luxury package which brings the cost up to 83K, and then the tech and super cruise packages that add another 6K.

So the price difference between the cheapest Escalade (Luxury package) and one with Super Cruise is 11K.

By that logic it actually costs $76,000 because technically you could get a Chevy Spark for $13k and would need to upgrade all the way up to an Escalade Premium to get super cruise. :rolleyes:

Base Escalade is 76K, to get Super Cruise you need to get the Premium Luxury package which brings the cost up to 83K, and then the tech and super cruise packages that add another 6K.

So the price difference between the cheapest Escalade (Luxury package) and one with Super Cruise is 11K.

Super Cruise is affordable for lower models which need 2 costs:

1) Driver Assist & Tech: $3,650
2) Super Cruise: $2,500
-------------------------------------------
Total $6,150

upload_2020-10-26_23-18-17.png

Like a lot of folks on the fence with the FSD upgrade at $8,000 going to $10,000 soon I was wondering what the value of the upgrade would be from the insurance coverage (premium and payout in case the car was totaled)
Call to my insurance (Progressive) and I was told they do show that the software upgrade is listed as an option for the car.
No changes to my policy would be required if I upgraded, but at the time of a claim the fact that the car was equipped with FSD would be noted (proof required at time of claim, which shouldn't be a problem as Tesla account would have that).
Good so far...
So I asked how the value of FSD would be determined if a claim was filed
That would be determined by the adjuster
Ok, could I call claims to get a hypothetical claim amount
Nope (could call but they wouldn't be able to give you the info)
But you can go on Kelly Blue Book site to see what that option would be, that is some of the type of information the adjuster would use
Ok, did that
Here is Kelly Blue Book value for my car

Trade in $42,316 (Autopilot only)
Trade in $43,570 (Autopilot and FSD)

While the values from KBB may be debatable in the real world the take away for me is their value for FSD is $1,254
Doesn't give me much hope on recovering much of the $8K on insurance claim if I upgraded before the price increase.

Still on the fence...

My car
2019 M3 Long Range Dual Motor, Grey w/ black interior, 18" aero wheels, 19,000 miles
East central Illinois location