Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance for the Signature Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm taking delivery of a Sig Model-X in a few days (hopefully)
I just called my insurance provider with the new VIN - USAA Insurance (only available to U.S. military and their decedents)

Sig Model X is replacing a 2013 MS 60kwh that we are trading-in
- Insurance premium increased $54.25/month - price different is $93k between the '13 trade-in value and new SigX

Registered in Los Angeles, California (I imagine LA is one of the more expensive cities to insure a vehicle)

Monthly Insurance rates:
$207.54 - 2016 Model X - Sig P90D ($1,245.24 / 6mon)
$202.72 - 2015 Model S - P85D ($1,216.33 / 6mon)
$153.29 - 2013 Model S - 60kwh ($919.77 / 6mon)
$36.35 - 2007 Prius - Basic Trim ($219.81 / 6mon) - Liability only

In California - USAA does not offer "New Car Replacement" nor Gap Insurance (varies by State)
- I believe GAP insurance is covered under Tesla Financial Lease Agreement
Windshield is covered under comprehensive ($500 deductible - no stand alone policy is avail)
- Agent said all glass is also covered under comprehensive: rear glass / sunroof / side windows (not sure about headlights)

300k/500k/300k injury person / injury total accident / property
300k/500k uninsured Motorist
10k medical
30/day / 900 total - rental car reimbursement
Towing and Labor is included
I carry a separate umbrella to cover excess risk

I receive a multi-policy discount (Home/Life/Multi-Car)
Two decades of customer loyalty
Clean Driving Record

At the risk of sounding like an ad, I've been very happy with USAA (a member for 20+ years)
- USAA paid promptly on my claims (stollen car, a few "not-at-fault" accidents) - no hassle, excellent service
- USAA returns excess funds to it's members as a dividend every year (around $120)
USAA is only available to Military and their decedents

Yeah, happy almost 30 year member of USAA here, would NEVER consider another insurance company even at lower prices. I had other insurance before I married into the privilege of being a USAA member and I've experienced first hand the difference in the claims experience between USAA and Allstate as well as a few other insurance companies.

I have insurance with Keystone AAA (Underwriter is actually CSAA). We live in NE Pennsylvania. They previously quoted me an estimate of $975 for a single policy for a Sig Model X with another $75 for full replacement value. My agent just called me today and said they now have the Model X VIN finally in their system and the quote is now $1,500 for the X by itself (that includes full replacement and our existing $500 deductible). He is looking into moving our other cars to the new policy since that would lower the X cost by about $400, but may raise the cost of our other cars. I hate insurance shopping almost as much as I hate car shopping. There are so many variables. We also have our home and an umbrella coverage with them.

thanks for the info on USAA. I'm a member as well and was planning on using them for whichever Tesla we decide on. Since I'm still technically a FL resident while on active duty I wonder how the Fl windshield replacement rule will influence the insurance quote. if you have comprehensive on a car in FL the insurer is required to replace the windshield with no deductible.

I priced my insurance with USAA a few years ago and they weren't competitive for the Tesla, and in VA, you can't exclude drivers and you can't have separate policies in the same household. I agree their service is great.

Not sure what the fuss is all about. Have had State Farm for
sig MS more than 3 years, quite reasonable. Expect same for MX, now configured. Main cost issue for auto insurance companies is personal injury claims by occupants injured in crash, far surpasses collision body damage claims. The MX probably safest vehicle for occupants ever produced. Expect insurance cost to reflect this.

Have had State Farm for sig MS more than 3 years, quite reasonable.

My State Farm agent says the X isn't in their system yet (should be in January). But then again, he says the only S that is in his system is the 70D for the 2015 model year.

The 70D quote he gave me for the 2015 model year was $100 more per six months than my existing 2008 Benz.

I'll touch base with him after January 1 to see what his computer tells him then.

Thanks for the warning. I actually have replacement coverage for the first 24 months, so it makes it a bit easier. This is what a new car costs with the same options... pay up. But your warning is valid, and another reason I like to finance 100% and then obtain gap insurance. If what the insurance company pays is less than the loan, the other insurance kicks in and pays it off. Gap insurance is usually very cheap. It might not make you 100% whole, but it at least you can't go negative on the equity.

I had Mercury insurance add a 2012 MS P85 and it was a bit high (double my X5). Am a bit concerned as to the Model X. I recently was informed that AARP has EXCELLENT Tesla rates. Good overall, but excellent for tesla. You can't apply for 90 days after enrollment, so I dont have exacts, but sounds promising!!!

I'm taking delivery of a Sig Model-X in a few days (hopefully)
I just called my insurance provider with the new VIN - USAA Insurance (only available to U.S. military and their decedents)

Sig Model X is replacing a 2013 MS 60kwh that we are trading-in
- Insurance premium increased $54.25/month - price different is $93k between the '13 trade-in value and new SigX

Registered in Los Angeles, California (I imagine LA is one of the more expensive cities to insure a vehicle)

Monthly Insurance rates:
$207.54 - 2016 Model X - Sig P90D ($1,245.24 / 6mon)
$202.72 - 2015 Model S - P85D ($1,216.33 / 6mon)
$153.29 - 2013 Model S - 60kwh ($919.77 / 6mon)
$36.35 - 2007 Prius - Basic Trim ($219.81 / 6mon) - Liability only

In California - USAA does not offer "New Car Replacement" nor Gap Insurance (varies by State)
- I believe GAP insurance is covered under Tesla Financial Lease Agreement
Windshield is covered under comprehensive ($500 deductible - no stand alone policy is avail)
- Agent said all glass is also covered under comprehensive: rear glass / sunroof / side windows (not sure about headlights)

300k/500k/300k injury person / injury total accident / property
300k/500k uninsured Motorist
10k medical
30/day / 900 total - rental car reimbursement
Towing and Labor is included
I carry a separate umbrella to cover excess risk

I receive a multi-policy discount (Home/Life/Multi-Car)
Two decades of customer loyalty
Clean Driving Record

At the risk of sounding like an ad, I've been very happy with USAA (a member for 20+ years)
- USAA paid promptly on my claims (stollen car, a few "not-at-fault" accidents) - no hassle, excellent service
- USAA returns excess funds to it's members as a dividend every year (around $120)
USAA is only available to Military and their decedents

I pick up our X this morning and added it to my USAA last night using the iPad app. Entered the VIN, answered a couple of questions and done. Took about five minutes and air printed the insurance card. Absolutly painless. I have 16 cars ( mostly collector cars ) on the policy so after adding the X and reducing the annual miles on two other cars the monthly premium went up by $120.00 on the total policy cost. After the annual rebate the increase is probably less than $100.00 to add the X.

I have insured all my cars and houses with USAA for 40 years. I have two Model S and now one Model X on the policy. I have never had any problem insuring a Tesla with USAA. Painless.

I should clarify that I don't do any of the extras like towing and rental cars. I also set comprehensive at the highest deductible allowed. I only want insurance for liability and major loss coverage.

I pick up our X this morning and added it to my USAA last night using the iPad app. Entered the VIN, answered a couple of questions and done. Took about five minutes and air printed the insurance card. Absolutly painless. I have 16 cars ( mostly collector cars ) on the policy so after adding the X and reducing the annual miles on two other cars the monthly premium went up by $120.00 on the total policy cost. After the annual rebate the increase is probably less than $100.00 to add the X.

I have insured all my cars and houses with USAA for 40 years. I have two Model S and now one Model X on the policy. I have never had any problem insuring a Tesla with USAA. Painless.

I should clarify that I don't do any of the extras like towing and rental cars. I also set comprehensive at the highest deductible allowed. I only want insurance for liability and major loss coverage.

sounds great.... but how do you join asaa without a family member in the miltary?

Agreed. It seems to be pretty obvious that USAA is clearly the best insurance company. But for those of us who do not qualify for USAA, what's the second best? I think that's really the question in play at this point.

So if you don't/can't qualify for USAA, which insurance company offers the best rates for the new X?