Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Info on Autopilot + v7

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And what's the distinction between Autopilot and autonomous driving?

- Autopilot = highway automation (car keeps in its lane and maintains speed in accordance with traffic flow and speed limit) + driver required to keep attention at all times and take-over in case of any technological failure. Car can't be expected to manoeuvre through junctions, traffic lights or avoid any unexpected traffic situation.

- Autonomous driving = type in a destination into the SatNav and sit back and relax until you arrive at your destination. Car will navigate junctions and traffic lights safely detecting other road users, road anomalies and traffic restrictions.

- Autopilot = highway automation (car keeps in its lane and maintains speed in accordance with traffic flow and speed limit) + driver required to keep attention at all times and take-over in case of any technological failure. Car can't be expected to manoeuvre through junctions, traffic lights or avoid any unexpected traffic situation.

- Autonomous driving = type in a destination into the SatNav and sit back and relax until you arrive at your destination. Car will navigate junctions and traffic lights safely detecting other road users, road anomalies and traffic restrictions.

Exactly. In states it was legal I believe you could even sit in the back seat and fall asleep while the car took you to your destination with full autonomous driving.

Very interesting report. Thanks, footbag. Hope you and your wife had a wonderful vacation overall.

About the mothership notifying the car about dodgy areas vis-a-vis autopilot reliability, I'm sure it'd be based off a database that'd be constantly updated, that too with customer cars navigating through those areas providing upto date feedback to the mothership about condition changes. All anonymized, of course, in order not to compromise customer privacy.

Probably a deliberate leak.

To what end?

I was thinking the same thing.

And I'm not attaching any negative connotations to that. If Tesla occasionally, for whatever reason, wants to give those of us who read these forums religiously little bits and pieces of information unofficially, I think that's fine.

As to the "to what end" comment, obviously they can't be held to anything gleaned from this conversation, which is a positive for them. On the other hand, the information released could go a long way towards calming the waters that have been getting stirred up.

Knowing how tight-lipped Tesla employees who actually have inside information normally are, as compared to this exchange really makes me think there was a conscious decision made to allow this information out. Again--I'm not being critical of that. I'm just saying, among other things, that I don't think anyone needs to be concerned that this employee is going to get in trouble.

Edit: I forgot to thank Footbag for taking the time to write it all up for us! Thanks very much, Footbag!

Last edited:
Cool write up. This is pretty much in line with the Tesla employees I have had the opportunity to candidly pester on the matter as well, with only a few exceptions probably partly because your information is a hair more recent than mine.

I won't go into too much detail of my conversations since some were in implied or explicitly requested confidence, but I'll just stick with saying that the above post being pretty much in line with that I've heard.

I was thinking the same thing.

As to the "to what end" comment, obviously they can't be held to anything gleaned from this conversation, which is a positive for them. On the other hand, the information released could go a long way towards calming the waters that have been getting stirred up.

Knowing how tight-lipped Tesla employees who actually have inside information normally are, as compared to this exchange really makes me think there was a conscious decision made to allow this information out. Again--I'm not being critical of that. I'm just saying, among other things, that I don't think anyone needs to be concerned that this employee is going to get in trouble.

Good points. this probably means that Tesla has made a conscious decision to not be as tight lipped as normal, in the hopes that someone like footbag would then provide a nice write up for us on the forum. I wonder if we will start seeing more experiences like his and more people willing to write up their experiences..

either way, I am glad it happened and thankful for Footbag for the writeup.

20150719_153039.jpg
u
20150719_153203.jpg
20150719_153126.jpg
Great news. I just hope you didn't cost this Tesla employee his job... :)

Or is that her...

- - - Updated - - -

About the deliberate leak. No. People can vouch that I have no association with Tesla myself. The individual certainly may have chosen to share info, but I can't see how they would have expected that I would be on the forums. I've chatted to many owners at Superchargers, and none this far are on TMC, so I can't see Tesla expecting a random fellow (me) to be the one guy out of a bunch on the forums.

Just chatted to another MFG driver at the Vacaville SC just now. His car had wheel sensors. I was taking pictures when he returned to his car. Will share them in a bit. He also takes to me, but only for a couple of minutes. The wheel sensors were to test driving dynamics and efficiency at different air pressures.

His car was badged 60 but had 85 on the IP. It also was running v7, same build (by stated build date) as the other person. He told me he was directly told not to talk about it, which I was going to respect. I did ask specific ally about the lock icon I mentioned before since I could see it from out side. He confirmed it locks and unlocks the doors. He let me glance inside, and I can confirm the navigation on the IP looks different but mainly because it is dark, not light like we have. The last thing he offered up was that there is now going to be a screen that will show brake light status while driving.
20150719_153135.jpg

Last edited:
About the deliberate leak. No. People can vouch that I have no association with Tesla myself. The individual certainly may have chosen to share info, but I can't see how they would have expected that I would be on the forums. I've chatted to many owners at Superchargers, and none this far are on TMC, so I can't see Tesla expecting a random fellow (me) to be the one guy out of a bunch on the forums.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I certainly didn't mean to imply that you were anything other than helpful, and certainly in no way part of any sort of coordinated effort to have the information leak.

As for your point as to how leaking to a random person at a supercharger would result in the info making it to TMC, while it may not be efficient, I'd respectfullly suggest that if Tesla were to repeat that process enough times at enough superchargers, there would be a very high likelihood of the information making it onto TMC.