Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'Indian' vs 'Native American'

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

nwdiver

Feb 17, 2013
United States
I found this interesting. When I was at Standing Rock I considered the word 'Indian' to be a (very) mild slur and I felt uncomfortable using it. Never occurred to me that some of the Sioux might prefer 'Indian' over 'Native American'...

I was recently at Yulara, and asked an aboriginal bush tucker guide about "black boy grass tree". Its not local to that region, so he did not have first hand experience with that plant, but he did comment that he had spoken with someone who was, and they only called it black boy, (not grass tree). The plant itself likes to 'flower' as a response to fire, so if you see it, you know the area burns.

As a person of Indian ancestry (the country India) who grew up in an area of very few minorities, I have a special interest in this topic. People (in retrospect mostly ignorant ones) would always be confused as to “what kind” of Indian I was.
India has taken back a lot of the names given to it by the British Empire, such as cities and roads. I wonder why Native Americans would want to keep a name forcibly and incorrectly given to them by a conqueror. As mentioned here, I think “Indigenous” is a great alternative.