Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Navigation Starting to Make me Nervous

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In plenty of places, your u-turn was illegal.

It’s probable, that in order to route you to that closer SC, it would have to take a longer route, because it won’t use that u-turn.

How many miles would you have to drive if you were to take the next exit to turn around to get to the ”closer” SC?
Of course the U-turn was illegal. And of course the GPS would not route me to an illegal U-turn. I needed to take it to get back on my route without going many miles out of the way and find a closer charging station.

I will generally review the list of charging stops before I head out. The good news is that you can do this on the app now, and even adjust the starting SOC to what you'll have when you leave home. You have a few options in terms of avoiding a stop you don't want to make. You can charge up a little extra at each stop prior, or do a deeper charge at the stop prior to the one you want to avoid. Or, you can simply navigate to each charger in turn rather than putting in your final destination. Then, when you arrive at the first charger, put in the next one, etc. I've done this when I want to stop at a particular charger because I know the amenities are better than one it wants me to stop at.

I'm curious as to which one in NJ was 40 miles out of the way? Do you recall? I travel from Central NJ to MA pretty frequently so am pretty familiar with this route.
Actually the route was from Great Barrington MA to Allentown PA. It was the first time I was doing it with a non-Telsa driver in the car. So he had no clue how to manage it! I've only done the route once. The charging station was 20 miles off the route and 20 miles to get back on the route. I'm not sure why it was a suggestion on the navigation route. I'm hoping the software has gotten better since that trip. But in the future I'll do as you suggest. Thanks!

Reactions: DanDi58