Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In-car Hard Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't see it in the owner's manual. How do you load your songs?

the website state below - so it is there, but hasnt been 'released' with a software update yet. When i spoke to Factory Service, they didnt have any news of its impending release.. unlike the phone app, which they knew about , and said were working on.

200 watt, 7 speaker stereo system includes AM/FM/HD Radio, dual USB ports, and storage for up to 500 songs.

Does anyone know if the in-car USB ports, 2.0 or 3.0?

Found below post by Vall on another forum :

Vall | DECEMBER 1, 2012 NEW
USB 3.0 is backwards compatible with USB 2.0 and tesla is very unlikely to have support for USB 3.0. Even if you plug in a USB 3.0 flash drive in a 2.0 port, you will still get a reasonable transfer rate, up to 30 MB/s read and write depending on the drive. The higher transfer speeds of 3.0 don't really benefit model S in any way, since it has no internal memory to speak of, it had something like 2 or 4 GB if i remember correctly, which probably means the write and read speeds are around 6-10 MB/s based on experience with mobile phones, the NAND chip inside can't be much different. So even if your stick was 3.0 and the car had a 3.0 port, and you wanted to copy to or from the car, the bottleneck is the internal NAND flash. Playing content directly from a USB 2.0 port is also a non-issue, even bluray video has a bitrate of 4.5 MB/s, plus 4MB/s for uncompressed LPCM audio... and you can't even play the video part. It is also very unlikely that tesla will add support for DTS-HD Master audio, with bitrate of 25 Mbit/s (3 MB/s) used on bluray. Even if they did it would be well in the specs of usb 2.0

Source