Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Impression after spending a day with my MS in Hong Kong

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think many of these discussions are useful, but they are now under a thread which is quite impossible to relate to and hence difficult for retrieval in the future. I think we need another named thread for all these discussions.

Most of these concerns are covered in quite a few threads throughout the forum and you should be able to find the answers you seek through the search bar. However in case you cannot I will try to hit on the concerns I see posted in here to help some of you out :)

I have driven almost 400km.

Here is my thought (mostly negative,) on the car:

340km is the realistic range for a 85%... That translates to around 211 miles, on an 85% charge you should be able to hit 225 miles. The default is 90% which should be 239 miles. Both of these are totally doable and relatively easy to achieve even at highway speeds over relatively hilly surfaces and with the AC on. When I say highway speeds I mean 60MPH (100km/h) - 70MPH (115km/h). The key to this is cruise control. You kill your range with the variable driving habits of using the pedal. While technically it would be more efficient to use the downhills to coast and gain speed and then coasting back to the original speed, in practice this is quite hard when dealing with a lot of traffic around you and takes a lot of focus. Even commuting in the morning with some decent traffic, I find myself trying to lock in say 75MPH (what most people drive) and the doing full clicks on the cruise up or down as traffic speeds change. Even doing that I am getting around 315wh/mi (I don't have a quick conversion for you here, but our energy target is usually anything sub 300wh/mi) while driving that fast, which is pretty good all things considered. On longer roadtrips doing the speed limit (65-70) I have easily hit the sub 300wh/mi mark making my range hit pretty close (within a mile +/-) of the ratings. This target is even easier if you are driving slower... the key is getting a *fixed* speed. Variable speed will kill you every time. Especially stop and go traffic.

However, the exterior of roof is crazily hot. -> Is this out of the normal for a car? You have an almost black object baking in direct sunlight. All cars I have had in the past if it was really hot outside, would do this, regardless of roof type. What I will say is a negative, the handles in direct sunlight. Ouch! Maybe they should make these out of something that doesn't absorb heat so much next time?

Back seats are not really good for long trips. -> Supposedly the seats in general are to be getting a change out if you are talking about a seat cushion comfort level. If you are talking about rear leg room, I believe they are also talking about getting an extended wheel base for this request. Specifically because your country likes the roomier leg space.

Tires noise seems to be a problem as it is the only noise the car makes on highway. -> Just wait until you hear the A/C from outside the car... This has been brought up before, I believe the suggestion has been that they need to add just a bit of sound proofing to the car. They didn't do too much it seems because they weren't trying to block out the engine noise.

I tried both Cantonese and English, but Voice control doesn't work. -> Accent issues? Did you do the command correctly? "Listen to...", "Call...", "Navigate to..." I don't think I have heard of this issue before. I would also make sure it says "Recording" on the display before you say anything, Don't just start speaking when you press the button. If non of that helps I would take it up with your local service center to see what the deal is.

Auto Toll doesn't really work. -> The other suggestions made should fix your issue. Either behind the nose cone or to the right of the mirror. All of the windows have a coating on them which in turn absorbs/blocks wireless signals.

On the other hand, the brakes on the car is not that good. -> As compared to...? These breaks are about as good as can be put on a car. The Brembo breaks are about as close as you can get to racing breaks without actually getting official racing breaks (that Nascar and Formula 1 and such uses). It has a 108 foot stopping distance from 60-0mph (I have no clue on the shift to 100-0km/s sorry). As a comparison the 2014 Mercedes S-Class has a 115 foot stopping distance and the Tesla is a much heavier car.

Today, when it rains, there are some water trapped between the rubber seal and the driver's window. It makes a squeaking noise when I open/close it. Does anyone else have it?

Also, at the last bit of braking, just before the car stops, there seem to have some noise coming from the suspension...

Yes, I have complained about this before, they cleaned the window, which fixed the issue until it rained the next time... blah!

About the wheel noise, I assume this is actually the breaks. This is because you really need to use your breaks more, and since they aren't getting used, they don't really get broken in correctly. You can fix this if you really want to, stick regen to low and use your break more. You will see quite a range hit doing this though. I read somewhere to do this for like the first 5k miles. Good luck... I couldn't last 5 minutes in low regen...

Yes, it really is that easy.

The Back seats isn't comfortable compare to an Audi S5 sportback (which has a similar fastback style). The problem is not the leg room or the cushion, but the angle of the back support.

The pads may need time be broken in, but as is for now they are worst than a Maserati Quattroporte (I guess they are more or less have the same weight and size and have the weight bias at he back) which I previously own.

I just tried the voice control using the correct command. You stated, It works! (Listen to Greenday) using "play Greenday" doesn't work for me
Where can i find a list of available voice control in the manual?

I am not trying to make up or exaggerate anything bad about this car, just sharing the thought I have after driving over 400km

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to discourage or dissuade your options or your dislike for certain things about the car. I have had my own gripes to be certain. I was just trying to help give some feedback on what I could based on what I know in order to help you out!

I believe the manual has them, but if I am not mistaken those are all of the commands. There may also be a "dial..." Command to input a phone number manually. I would love to see them expand the voice commands further but for now that is what we have.

I don't spend much time in the back seat... My only experience is as I clean the car. So I really don't know what to say there. What I do know is that the difference between my Vin and a recent loaner car I had was better all around in the seat department. That includes the back seat. I know this because I generally have a full car since I carpool and we always use mine. That wasy first question to them when we got in the loaner.

That said, you should have a very recent Vin since you just took delivery so I doubt you are missing anything. So all I can hope for is that they take the feedback and continue to improve the seating all around. It has been a sore point for them for a while to the point where it has been directly brought up to Elon and he has talked about it in a public forum.

Given your low miles that was why I wanted to take some time as well to explain driving habits to help you get the most out of the car. Have fun with it for sure but if you want to get the full range try those tips I provided. My first 2-3k miles were so bad that now being over 10k I have only just gotten my overall average to 312wh/mi... So it is normal to drive it pretty crazy for a while. And if you look at some people's reported stats they are even worse. So it really comes down to what is important to you. As long as you are enjoying the ride!

The Back seats isn't comfortable compare to an Audi S5 sportback (which has a similar fastback style). The problem is not the leg room or the cushion, but the angle of the back support.

The pads may need time be broken in, but as is for now they are worst than a Maserati Quattroporte (I guess they are more or less have the same weight and size and have the weight bias at he back) which I previously own.

I just tried the voice control using the correct command. You stated, It works! (Listen to Greenday) using "play Greenday" doesn't work for me
Where can i find a list of available voice control in the manual?

I am not trying to make up or exaggerate anything bad about this car, just sharing the thought I have after driving over 400km

So for the time being, so you think an addition of thigh support will work?
http://priuschat.com/threads/covered-seat-cushion-more-thigh-support-less-than-10.68358/

My maiden Super Charging @Hopewell.

Screenshot_2014-08-06-16-08-37.png
Screenshot_2014-08-06-16-57-07.png

I found it really nice and relaxed. Plugged in and go to 17/f have a coffee, read a few emails and took about 50mins to charge. Nice afternoon sneak out :tongue:

Would be perfect if the app could send an alert when charging completed :cool:

Last edited:
My maiden Super Charging @Hopewell.

View attachment 55663 View attachment 55664

I found it really nice and relaxed. Plugged in and go to 17/f have a coffee, read a few emails and took about 50mins to charge. Nice afternoon sneak out :tongue:

Would be perfect if the app could send an alert when charging completed :cool:

Hi ekwng, I guess you are using the Tesla Model S Beta on Android, right? Did the login name and password come automatically during delivery or you had to set it up yourself? I am getting my ms this friday so I hope I can use this app by then. Thanks a lot for your advice :)

Hi ekwng, I guess you are using the Tesla Model S Beta on Android, right? Did the login name and password come automatically during delivery or you had to set it up yourself? I am getting my ms this friday so I hope I can use this app by then. Thanks a lot for your advice :)

It is the same username and password as the one you used on the Tesla official website to login to your portal.

Yes, I have to download it from US Google Play. As Capt666 said, login is the same as "My Tesla" login :smile:

and you have to wait 48 hours after delivery. I think they need to activate and upload something to server

A few observations after my first day.
Love the car.
Took delivery on a rainy day. when I got home noticed that headlights wee fogged up. Called tesla - very helpful - said if it did not clear in 20-30 minutes then it is not normal and to let them know. They said to keep headlights on. Anyway it cleared. My BMW lights also fog up so this must be "normal".
I had a charging cable installed a couple of months ago but when I got home yesterday the button on the connector to open the port did not work. Called Tesla. They sent someone today to check - confirmed problem. Left a spare (new connector) and promised to send electrician saturday to install. Charging works fine (can open port from display) so no rush.
Noticed a rattling sound coming from rear when driving downhill or over slightly bumpy road. Seemed like it was coming from glass cover of trunk but not sure. Tesla picking up car tomorrow fro check it out.
GREAT service and responsiveness (even though some of these issues should not have happened). But when everyone is so polite and apologetic - I do not have a problem. As long as they fix it.
Did not notice any 3G issues today (others have reported) but maybe it was resolved by the time I used the car.
Am checking the auto toll issue (have placed on right corner bottom of windscreen). Tesla willing to place under nosecone but will not take responsibility on whether it works or not. Fair enough.

A few observations after my first day.
Love the car.
Took delivery on a rainy day. when I got home noticed that headlights wee fogged up. Called tesla - very helpful - said if it did not clear in 20-30 minutes then it is not normal and to let them know. They said to keep headlights on. Anyway it cleared. My BMW lights also fog up so this must be "normal".
I had a charging cable installed a couple of months ago but when I got home yesterday the button on the connector to open the port did not work. Called Tesla. They sent someone today to check - confirmed problem. Left a spare (new connector) and promised to send electrician saturday to install. Charging works fine (can open port from display) so no rush.
Noticed a rattling sound coming from rear when driving downhill or over slightly bumpy road. Seemed like it was coming from glass cover of trunk but not sure. Tesla picking up car tomorrow fro check it out.
GREAT service and responsiveness (even though some of these issues should not have happened). But when everyone is so polite and apologetic - I do not have a problem. As long as they fix it.
Did not notice any 3G issues today (others have reported) but maybe it was resolved by the time I used the car.
Am checking the auto toll issue (have placed on right corner bottom of windscreen). Tesla willing to place under nosecone but will not take responsibility on whether it works or not. Fair enough.

The supercharger bay 3A @hopewell also failed to open the port (It worked before..), a bit embarrassing when I was trying to show-off to my son :mad:

Anyway, good to know they provide great services :smile:

The supercharger bay 3A @hopewell also failed to open the port (It worked before..), a bit embarrassing when I was trying to show-off to my son :mad:

Anyway, good to know they provide great services :smile:

I would request (if you didn't already) that you make sure to report these issues with the superchargers to the appropriate contacts. Some things they can see is an issue from their system, but others will not show up for them and needs someone to report the issue to them. I have called them twice and they were very appreciative when I reported an issue with the system.

Same here, it is better than I thought. The interior quality is far superior to the demonstrator I drove, and it seems more refined. I do have some questions...
Is there a way to display lifetime energy use, I'm just using trip A right now?
I have yet to have lane departure warning work, has anyone else noticed it?
I went to the Kai Tak Supercharger and got 260km/h charge rate. Is this normal? Does it get higher?
Will it do a software upgrade without wifi, mine shows a weak signal at the car while my phone is full bars?
Why do we not have speed assist?

i can wait till the active cruise control works, not to mention the AP! Love the car....

Same here, it is better than I thought. The interior quality is far superior to the demonstrator I drove, and it seems more refined. I do have some questions...
Is there a way to display lifetime energy use, I'm just using trip A right now?
I have yet to have lane departure warning work, has anyone else noticed it?
I went to the Kai Tak Supercharger and got 260km/h charge rate. Is this normal? Does it get higher?
Will it do a software upgrade without wifi, mine shows a weak signal at the car while my phone is full bars?
Why do we not have speed assist?

i can wait till the active cruise control works, not to mention the AP! Love the car....

Yesterday was day 1 for my Tesla, drove back and forth for over 100km since I forgot to bring the autotoll tag. They said the windscreen is new and tag probably work if I placed it under the black edge at the top. I tried with my hand holding the tag on the way back, it didn't work, it's in nose cone now. I have yet to slow down a bit in toll booth to see the green light!

I won't give it a thumb for the interior quality especially the wheel (the stitches) I think after extensive use replacement/repair is needed. The rubber on the door seal looks cheap as well but time will tell. For car with this price tag I expected better.

The 2 sticks on the left is different from the test-drive unit but it's better.

I went to try supercharger at cruise terminal, like others said here, the pot didn't open from the cable. Never mind that minor issue really. The funny experience is that I drove 100km, took me only 20 minutes to top it up to 90% (limit recommended by Tesla), I was told that charging is slow when it's nearly full? I'm impressed with the charging speed.

What's the point charging at home?

PS: about that lane changing thing, I think it was working and I didn't like it. It felt like steering wheel shaking (very lightly but noticeable) but I can't tell if it was it or came from the road. I felt it a few times when I was just banking along Lung Cheung Road rather than changing lane.

Last edited: