Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm looking around for 2nd hand MCU2 though unsure of this one small question lol

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are the MCUS year depndanrt?

My car:
2017 MS 75

Is this compatible?

Or would I certainly need to buy this one?
Only reason I'm asking....

Tesla JUST now told me, they won't hve one in for me until March.

It is not compatible. You currently have MCU1. MCU2 went into production 1-March-2018. Now Tesla can upgrade an MCU1 vehicle to MCU2, but the retrofit kit includes a new instrument panel, main display, and a much faster CPU. It may also require some wiring adapters. The cost is $1750 to 2250 (varies a bit depending on the vehicle) and includes labor. I'd strongly consider replacing it with the retrofit. I did it to my 2016S, and it makes it feel like new and you get access to a lot of other new features. Performance is also a major step up. Lots of other features, but you will lose FM/XM radio, as the old analog radios are not compatible. You can get the new digital radio replacement for $500 more, but you don't have to do it at the same time if you're on a budget.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
It is not compatible. You currently have MCU1. MCU2 went into production 1-March-2018. Now Tesla can upgrade an MCU1 vehicle to MCU2, but the retrofit kit includes a new instrument panel, main display, and a much faster CPU. It may also require some wiring adapters. The cost is $1750 to 2250 (varies a bit depending on the vehicle) and includes labor. I'd strongly consider replacing it with the retrofit. I did it to my 2016S, and it makes it feel like new and you get access to a lot of other new features. Performance is also a major step up. Lots of other features, but you will lose FM/XM radio, as the old analog radios are not compatible. You can get the new digital radio replacement for $500 more, but you don't have to do it at the same time if you're on a budget.
Then this one SHOULD be both complete and compatible for my 2016 right?.... As for the radio, I am not interested in that at all. The reason I'm even looking on Ebay is Tesla is telling me 2 months or so wait.

BTW I also have the tools, and software to do something to this MCU2 that we're not supposed to discuss here....my main concern is whether I need additional wires or not.
Having done this and AP3 upgrade myself on a 2018, I would recommend just paying tesla to do it. If you can root your MCU2, then it will be significantly faster though and might be worth it to DIY.