Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm living proof the Model S is the safest car ever made!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very glad to see that you were completely safe in the driver's seat. My closest call occurred a few months ago, only about 10 miles north of the Fremont SC/Plant. I was the second car at the stop light at the Industrial Blvd exit in South Hayward coming off the Nimitz Fwy (I880) going south in the left turn lane. The light turned green and the car in front of me proceeded to cross the intersection turning left. After the car crossed, and I was next to go, an 18 wheeler flew through the red light from my left directly in front of me. Fortunately, my still reasonably quick reactions and solid brakes of my Model S stopped me in time. The truck kept on going!

Do not forget that the Model S real world stopping ability is also potentially life saving. I narrowly missed broadsiding someone who pulled out of a small side road in front of me. If I had been driving any other car I would have hit him. The Model S protected me by slowing down when I lifted my foot off the accelerator and then applied world class breaks.

Remember that you will likely become stiff and sore over the next three days from the accident.

I always assume someone is going to run Stop signs and Lights. Saved me from more than 1 accident. Of course driving in the Boston area means extra precautions anyway.

No doubt. The drivers in Austin are HORRIBLE, and I see people running lights, stop signs, etc almost everyday.

There is so much traffic and congestion here now, since everyone and their mother are moving here (150 per day--and no infrastructure to accommodate).

I wish Texas would ban texting and talking while driving (talking would have to be done with Bluetooth).

I can always tell when one is texting, and they typically are doing 5-10 MPH under the speed limit, and driving all over the road.

I would also like to echo what everybody already expressed. I am glad you made it out of the accident unharmed and hopefully the other driver as well. I am originally from Germany so I have the direct comparison. The number of fatalities per 100,000 registered vehicles in the US is roughly twice as high as in Germany (15 vs. 7.2, see List of countries by traffic-related death rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and that despite the fact the traffic is much more dense in Germany and that still there is no speed limit on many of the highways. I also view my MS as an insurance policy.
On another note, I was upset yesterday to read that in one of the reports on the MS fire the writer mentioned the fact that the other driver had received a loaner as some special treatment of this driver, almost as if Tesla was trying to bribe this guy. Your story proofs what I felt all along, that this is a standard courtesy of Tesla to its owners, to any of us. Good to know we are in such good hands.

On another note, I was upset yesterday to read that in one of the reports on the MS fire the writer mentioned the fact that the other driver had received a loaner as some special treatment of this driver, almost as if Tesla was trying to bribe this guy. Your story proofs what I felt all along, that this is a standard courtesy of Tesla to its owners, to any of us. Good to know we are in such good hands.

What other driver? There was only 1 car involved. Perhaps you misunderstood? It was the MS sig owner that got the loaner...

I was a little irritated that the owner received a loaner after this very publicized accident. After my accident, before my car was a total loss, I asked repeatedly for a loaner and was told that they were for warranty and extended service work only. I wound up driving a 12 year old, manual transmission Jetta for a month and a half.

Although one could make the case that the loaner was in exchange for allowing Tesla to study the wreckage in Fremont.

Well, maybe they are able to pump out loaners a little quicker now. Back in may I remember people were struggling to get loaners for any reason. I can't remember, did they help expedite your new car? I remember seeing it at teslive in early July. It was beautiful. Clearly now they are doing a similar favor here to a similar accident as yours, so the car fire isn't getting special treatment at this point in time.

mep, which story is that? You should send the author a link to this story and how the car fire guy isn't the only one getting a loaner.

I was a little irritated that the owner received a loaner after this very publicized accident. After my accident, before my car was a total loss, I asked repeatedly for a loaner and was told that they were for warranty and extended service work only. I wound up driving a 12 year old, manual transmission Jetta for a month and a half.

Although one could make the case that the loaner was in exchange for allowing Tesla to study the wreckage in Fremont.

It makes some sense. This one accident cost them $600 million in stock value in one day so getting their hands on the car probably important. Would be nice if they could give loaners to everyone in the same situation but there aren't even enough for people taking the car into service. Something they need to work on.