Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you were not getting a Model S what would you get

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you aren't getting a Model S, what would you be looking for. From what I gather this car is pulling shoppers from many pools. I wouldn't have thought I would spend $65k MSRP on a car. And I may even end up splurging on the 60kWh pack when it comes down to putting in my order.

Personally the Model S is much more costly (up front), and much bigger than any other car I would consider. If the Model S didn't exist I would be looking at medium sized hatchbacks.

A Jetta Sportwagen TDI. Which would cost me about $27k MSRP.
A Subaru WRX STI 5 door. Which would cost me about $37k MSRP.
A BMW 328 Sport Wagon. Which would cost me about $42k MSRP.

Just my hunch is that I would be disappointed in the STI turbo lag (I was last year when I test drove one), and lack of size (for my doggies in the back). The BMW would feel like an ideal car, but I wouldn't be able to justify the extra $15k MSRP, and higher operating costs versus the Jetta. Plus I have wanted a TDI Jetta Wagon since I was in high school. And I would end up getting the Jetta Wagon.

In reality I wouldn't get rid of my VW GTI for any of those cars (at least not yet). And am actually having second thoughts about trading in my perfectly good (except for the fact it burns gasoline) car for the Tesla. But I am sure those apprehensions will go away as soon as I actually see a Model S. I can't imagine what driving one will do.

EDIT: All of those cars having manual transmissions.

Last edited:
Four years ago I'd have bought a Model S in a heartbeat, though it is a much bigger car than I really need. If the Nissan Leaf had been available, but not the Model S, I'd have bought the Leaf. Since neither was available, I bought the Zap Xebra. You can tell from that, that I was determined to get an EV, regardless of what compromises I had to make. Now that I have the Roadster, I'm set.

I'd have kept my previous car ('04 Acura TL) that I sold last November when it needed a ~$2K repair job. Have no interest in buying another gasser ever.

Would have gone for something like the Infiniti LE or BMW ActiveE if I desperately needed to buy a car and something like that had become available; not happy with the Leaf's range/performance/looks and wouldn't buy a 'hybrid-in-EV's-clothing' like the Volt.

I would keep my '04 VW R32 and maybe look for something along the lines of a mid range Audi. I'm not a fan of any other EV on the market right now other than the roadster but the R32 is almost to small to be practical. I am looking forward to the extra space I will have with the S.

I need something in the Model S's size range for cargo and passenger capacity, so in that respect it's right on the money.

If the S wasn't around, I would hold on to my current car (Grand Marquis - don't hate me, I know it's a guzzler), or buy a similar, used car for much much less money than the S. If there were used Model Ss on the market, I wouldn't even think of buying a new one.

The only reason I'm considering the S is for the EV aspect. If it had been a gas car it would never be on my radar.

The fusion energi would probably be on my short list. Tesla is the only EV manufactuer to make a car with the range I need. The volt is simply to small, so I would probably be forced to go with the fusion energi. Luckily I have a Model S reservation, so I can avoid the ICE altogether.

I would not buy another car. I already drive a Tesla Roadster about 75% of the time.

My Infiniti G37 is more than sufficient for the other 25% of my driving; however, I believe the Model S will better meet my needs and allow me to be 100% electric for daily driving and most road trips. There isn't another EV in existence that can do that.

I would probably keep driving my 06 Subaru Legacy GT, maybe trade up for a non-turbo Subaru without the turbo lag. I'll keep my Syncro Westy for road trips either way and us the electric Beetle for around town. Can't have too many cars.