Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you were not getting a Model S what would you get

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2010 Infiniti G37X

While I will miss the AWD during our long winters, I sure won't miss the throttle lag!! (otherwise I really like the car though)

JP

Funny, I have the same car... also to be replaced by a Model S. You're sure right about the massive throttle lag.

(Also you could probably do the round-trip from there to here and back on a single charge.)

Sold my 2003 Honda Accord v6 EX-Leather Coupe for $10k, bought TSLA with the money and have already made enough on paper for a couple upgrades... :) Most likely however I will end up just getting a bigger car loan to cover the cost of my Model S and keep the stock as I believe in this company!

And, there goes your 40 kWh pack battery warranty in just 5 years if you are getting that and if you keep up your 20K miles/year pace!

Well I've been running on my GTI for 40k miles with no warranty (except the paint, and a recall warranty extension on the cam follower). I am hoping that my 40kWh battery lasts me 8 years ~150,000 miles. Then I will either get a smaller Tesla or a new battery.

Right now I am planning on the 40kWh pack. But when it comes down to it I am hoping I can get the 60kWh.

Or will you?

Instantaneous electric drive no only totally eliminates throttle lag (like my cool sounding Imfiniti) but it also acts like an AWD in many respects.

VFX,

The last 3 cars I have owned (Volvo XC70, Subaru Legacy and G37X) have been AWD, and I publicly swore to friends and colleagues that I would never go back to FWD.

Driving RWD (ICE) cars in winter in Montreal borders on lunacy, especially higher-performance ones, winter tires / traction-control / sand bags-in-the-trunk or not. The fact that my workplace is at the top of a hill where people often lose traction (i.e. start going sideways +/- backwards) if they get there before the road clearing crews during snow storms significantly influenced my decision.

The fact that I am even considering getting this car at all in its current single RWD engine configuration speaks volumes about how different I consider Tesla's design and tech to be compared with existing vehicles... especially since a model X would also be a good match (I have 4 young kids currently being lugged around in an ... AWD ... Sienna). Yes, I am getting the rear-facing seats :wink:

This blog entry and accompanying videos also considerably affected my decision in favor of the S:

Owning the Tesla Roadster 2.5 Fearless Bit

Not sure I would go as far as saying that the electric drive acts like AWD though... as good as the Tesla TC is, you still have only two powered wheels. Starting after having stopped in thick snow / slush (with or without underlying ice created by rapid-spinning FWD / RWD tires) is usually where this is most apparent. Not that this would ever be an issue in your neck of the woods (I hope!) :cool:

JP

VFX,

The last 3 cars I have owned (Volvo XC70, Subaru Legacy and G37X) have been AWD, and I publicly swore to friends and colleagues that I would never go back to FWD.

Driving RWD (ICE) cars in winter in Montreal borders on lunacy, especially higher-performance ones, winter tires / traction-control / sand bags-in-the-trunk or not. The fact that my workplace is at the top of a hill where people often lose traction (i.e. start going sideways +/- backwards) if they get there before the road clearing crews during snow storms significantly influenced my decision.

The fact that I am even considering getting this car at all in its current single RWD engine configuration speaks volumes about how different I consider Tesla's design and tech to be compared with existing vehicles... especially since a model X would also be a good match (I have 4 young kids currently being lugged around in an ... AWD ... Sienna). Yes, I am getting the rear-facing seats :wink:

This blog entry and accompanying videos also considerably affected my decision in favor of the S:

Owning the Tesla Roadster 2.5 Fearless Bit

Not sure I would go as far as saying that the electric drive acts like AWD though... as good as the Tesla TC is, you still have only two powered wheels. Starting after having stopped in thick snow / slush (with or without underlying ice created by rapid-spinning FWD / RWD tires) is usually where this is most apparent. Not that this would ever be an issue in your neck of the woods (I hope!) :cool:

JP

Here is Cinergi's thread with videos of him driving in the snow: My Roadster in the snow Post #5 in the thread has a comparison of his Subaru vs his Roadster.

-Shark2k

I think I understand what he means about AWD. The Roadster handles like one in snow.

I've owned RWD, FWD, 4WD, and AWD cars, and a Roadster, and I've driven all of them in horrible snow conditions.

The Roadster drives nothing like an old-fashioned RWD car.

An old-fashioned front engine RWD car has very little weight on the drive wheels. You squeeze the gas pedal on slick snow and the back end kicks out sideways. If you have the ill fortune to get stopped on a steep uphill, one squeeze of the gas pedal and you're sliding sideways down to the bottom.

The Roadster has plenty of weight on the drive wheels, so you have good traction. Even so, if you try to exceed the available grip the phenomenal traction control keeps everything in line. And of course it has ABS. It drives nothing like a conventional RWD.

(There used to be another problem with RWD cars. I first started driving in the 70's, and back then if you forgot to pump the brakes you lost all steering control. ABS fixed that. A 1992 vintage RWD minivan I used to have didn't have this problem at all, and neither does the Roadster.)

The Roadster certainly doesn't drive anything like an FWD. For one thing, neither acceleration nor "engine braking" breaks the front wheels loose. FWD was an improvement over old RWD cars, but it has its own problems.

That leaves 4WD and AWD. 4WD lacks a front-back differential, which is great for grinding off-road but annoying driving in snow. The wheels all go the wrong speed when you turn sharply, so they wiggle like a pig around corners.

My current gas car (and the previous one) is AWD. AWD handles much better in snow than 4WD. It's better than FWD, too. I usually avoid driving the Roadster in really bad weather, just because I don't want to get it all covered in salt, but this winter I managed to get caught miles from home in a nasty blizzard. I wasn't happy about that, but I couldn't complain about how the car handled the conditions. I never had the slightest trouble with the back coming out, or with the steering, or anything else.

I guess I'd have to agree that the Roadster drives a lot like an AWD under winter conditions.

I'm dropping my 2007 GTI but mine will hit 100,000k miles today!

Well it ended up being this morning on the way to work. I didn't have km to miles correct in my head (my car is always in km, unless it is getting serviced, emissions, or pictures taken for 100,000 miles). Here is the only picture of the 7 I took where there isn't a fully obscuring glare over the miles.

100000.jpg

Oh and with pollen season still hitting pretty hard I am going through about 1 gal of water in my washers every 2 days. And my TC is turned off on purpose.

Ha! Cool!

Bonus points to you for actually planning for the event of your odometer turning over. I usually notice about 5 miles after it happens, and then I say "well, I'll wait for a palindrome or other pattern."... then never do.

:).

/Mitch.