Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you were buying a Roadster today, would you aim for a 1.5, 2.0, or 2.5?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First, thank you so much for everyone who has responded. I've learned a lot from this thread. Ignoring the things that appear to be a wash, that we don't have evidence of, or that aren't as important to me, it seems like I can distill the differences down to:

1.5 Advantages
Much cheaper (leaving money for the 3.0 upgrade)
Physical shifter (I strongly prefer this option)

2.0 / 2.5 Advantages

New Bumper (2.5 only) (which I love) (potentially nullified by the 3.0 upgrade)
Double DIN dash (2.5 only) (I wonder how a single DIN aftermarket unit with a pop out display would look on the 1.5s)
Quieter ride (potentially nullified by some aftermarket work on the 1.5)
Wider selection of tires
Center info screen
Power gauge on instrument cluster
Premium seats
Lower interest rate on loan

More Comprehensive list:

1.5 Advantages
Much cheaper (leaving money for the 3.0 upgrade)
Physical shifter (I strongly prefer this option)
Higher quality contractors?

2.0 / 2.5 Advantages
New Bumper (2.5 only) (potentially nullified by the 3.0 upgrade)
Double DIN dash (2.5 only)
Quieter ride (potentially nullified by some aftermarket work on the 1.5)
Wider selection of tires
Improved HVAC
Center info screen
Power gauge on instrument cluster
Premium seats
Glove box
Lower interest rate on loan

Hopefully that list will also help others that stumble across this thread in the future who are having the same analysis-paralysis that I am. After making it I was surprised how many advantages I actually had down for the 2.x, but I was also surprised at how minor they were compared to the price difference.

A lot of this is personal preference... I personally like the metal rail over the glove box, I like the side VDS positioning over the center, I like the RPMs on the instrument gauge...

I swapped my 1.5 seats for 2.5 seats, upgraded to double-DIN, dynamat'd for quieter ride.

Bring on 3.0, I'm ready!

Reactions: AtAge19
Nicholas, I think that is a fair summary though you left out the improved HVAC unit in the later cars, the glove box in the later cars, the higher quality contractors in the 1.5, and the "tire learning" feature in the later cars that allows the use of more tire types. You wrote: " I wonder how a single DIN aftermarket unit with a pop out display would look on the 1.5s"Can you provide a link to a unit of that type?
Here's a pic of #783 with the Pioneer AVH-P6300BT (single DIN unit) - had backup/front camera, iphone app display (can watch netflix/waze, etc), plays movie dvd's and remote. A much better unit than the stock JVC with the 2.5s - the screen covers the forward vents but you can have it flip down and retract into the unit if you really need the air.

Attachments

• photo 1 (1).JPG
    photo 1 (1).JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 212
Here's a pic of #783 with the Pioneer AVH-P6300BT (single DIN unit) - had backup/front camera, iphone app display (can watch netflix/waze, etc), plays movie dvd's and remote. A much better unit than the stock JVC with the 2.5s - the screen covers the forward vents but you can have it flip down and retract into the unit if you really need the air.

Thanks Augkuo; that's really helpful! Are the two middle vents usually needed, or do the side vents and floor provide sufficient airflow? I imagine the vents won't get much use in the winter as heat will be sent to the floor, but in the summer how cold and strong does the A/C blow?

@augkuo, thanks for the link to that Pioneer single DIN unit. I read about it on the Pioneer website. No mention if it is capable of accepting video in from a rear view camera, which is what I would really like. I don't need it for nav or music as I already use my iPhone for that and it works fine.

EDIT: I missed this on the Pioneer website, under Specifications it does state it has one "composite A/V input". I don't know much about video. What does "composite" mean?

@augkuo, thanks for the link to that Pioneer single DIN unit. I read about it on the Pioneer website. No mention if it is capable of accepting video in from a rear view camera, which is what I would really like. I don't need it for nav or music as I already use my iPhone for that and it works fine.EDIT: I missed this on the Pioneer website, under Specifications it does state it has one "composite A/V input". I don't know much about video. What does "composite" mean?
Yes I had #783 with front and rear cameras that fed to the Pioneer unit.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Augkuo; that's really helpful! Are the two middle vents usually needed, or do the side vents and floor provide sufficient airflow? I imagine the vents won't get much use in the winter as heat will be sent to the floor, but in the summer how cold and strong does the A/C blow?
For me the side vents are enough - if the middle vents are closed you just get more airflow coming out of the side vents. I'm in California with maybe some 90 degree days so usually the AC isn't blowing that hard to begin with.

I normally drive with the middle vents closed, and the side vents angled up. In summer, that blows hot air over the roof, and seems to keep the cabin cool (I worry more about my torso than my legs). In winter, it works well to boost the heat up near the windows.

I put 28k miles on my original Roadster (#414) before deciding to pick up a 2.5 sport. My observations after 6k miles on the 2.5; better seats (much more supportive), the new instrument/entertainment panel works much better, adjustable suspension less harsh than the stock 1.5 setup (adjustable was not averrable when I purchased), much quieter inside due to sound deadening and while I know its a preference thing, I do like the exterior cosmetic upgrade. However, is it really work the price difference? probably not, the sport motor really doesn't feel any more powerful than the 1.5 and I can't say I have anymore fun in the 2.5 vs 1.5, they are both fabulous cars to drive and I would be just as happy with either.

Having had a 1.5 non-sport and now a 2.5 non-sport the thrill of the drive is equally amazing! I actually felt the G force more in my 1.5 for whatever reason. I do like some of the creature comforts of the 2.5 as mentioned earlier and the double din which you can install in a 1.5. In my 1.5 I had the single din that had a larger flip out screen . I prefer the double din to the fold out. Body wise they are both beautiful. I do like the 2.5 changes but the simplicity of the 1.5 stands out as well.

my advice: get the cheapest 1.5 you can find, then upgrade it to a 3.0
the only real downside of the 1.5 is the TERRIBLE SEATS

How do you find them terrible? They're quite comfortable and sit you down into the car, not raise you up like the 2.x seats. The 1.5 seats have real pneumatic adjustable lumbar supports, the 2.x's you have to add your own pads by either buying from Tesla or making your own.

I personally didn't like the 2.x seats. Had a 2.0 loaner for over a week.

I'm 6' and 170lbs, so possibly its dependent on your size/weight on how comfortable a seat is.

I found the 2.x is very noisy/loud when charging. The 1.5 is substantially quieter.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Excellent advice! The differences between the various Roadster versions are fairly minor, in my opinion. But the difference between the original battery and the new 3.0 battery is major. Unless you plan to only use your Roadster for trips of less than 100 miles, the new battery seems worth it to me.

the only real downside of the 1.5 is the TERRIBLE SEATS
I have to agree with Wiztecy, I thought the 1.5 seats would be terrible when I was shopping for a Roadster. But I LOVE them. I'm 5' 10" 155 lbs and they fit me like a glove. They are firm, but comfortable.

If I were looking right now, I'd still go with a 1.5, because I can't afford a 2.5 Sport. If money wasn't a factor, I'd be looking for one of the "Final Five" USA Roadsters. :) Tesla Roadster Final Edition, limited to 9 cars worldwide