Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ICEd Superchargers - Next Steps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My point exactly.
Could you look more stupid?

So you are saying if there are two superchargers open, and one is marked "Tesla only" and the other is marked "general parking allowed 30 min.", you think we should park in the "Tesla only" spot because that's the designated one and keep the one remaining supercharger space available for an ICE car to potentially park there, rather than parking in the "general" spot and leave the one remaining supercharger space available for a Tesla to charge? If so I think that is the situation in which the Tesla driver looks stupid, not the other way around. The world is covered with parking spaces for ICE cars.

So you are saying if there are two superchargers open, and one is marked "Tesla only" and the other is marked "general parking allowed 30 min.", you think we should park in the "Tesla only" spot because that's the designated one and keep the one remaining supercharger space available for an ICE car to potentially park there, rather than parking in the "general" spot and leave the one remaining supercharger space available for a Tesla to charge?
Yes, that's what I'm saying.

Just to elaborate:
When you're disabled, do use the 'reserved for handicapped' seats on the bus.
It's foolish to leave people standing in a loaded bus with an empty 'handicapped-only' seat.

Yes, that's what I'm saying.

Just to elaborate:
When you're disabled, do use the 'reserved for handicapped' seats on the bus.
It's foolish to leave people standing in a loaded bus with an empty 'handicapped-only' seat.

I disagree with this philosophy, and the analogy. If you are on a bus, and no one is using the handicapped assigned seats, you may sit down, and then immediately get up if they are required by someone in need. There is no inconvenience to anyone.
If you take the Tesla only spot, then an ICE comes along and takes the empty general spot, that means if 1 minute later another Tesla shows up, they are stuck for 30-60 minutes until the ICE leaves, and that's IF the ICE really cares about the time limit. They're not anxiously waiting around for a Tesla to show up so they can move their car.

Yes, I am being selfish here. But to protect our ability to charge, I would lean towards going for the generalized spots first, so as to save the Tesla only spots in case others show up. Of course, I reserve the right to change my mind and be "more courteous" if there are multiple spots available and nobody else is around.

I'm not convinced. How could you look more stupid as an EV driver, not even parking in a purposely DESIGNATED space?

Well it is designated for Supercharging because there is a big Supercharger right in front of the spot. The spot just isn't exclusive for Supercharging. It's first come first serve so a Tesla has just as much right to 'block' that spot as an ICE. Not sure why you are upset about this.

Saw these on FB,
10704260_786116661431832_3351359119010172534_o.jpg

Right now the mentality of some people is that why should we not park in these spots reserved for only those people that can afford this expensive car. They look on Tesla as something that the wealthy can afford and really do not look at anything else. I think that once the Gen 3 comes out at as an affordable vehicle that is more main stream this kind of thinking will be less of a problem.

Right now the mentality of some people is that why should we not park in these spots reserved for only those people that can afford this expensive car. They look on Tesla as something that the wealthy can afford and really do not look at anything else. I think that once the Gen 3 comes out at as an affordable vehicle that is more main stream this kind of thinking will be less of a problem.
Maybe you are right, Merrill. I will not try to determine the thinking processes of those who choose to do this, but my supposition is that those in my part of the world probably think: "Oh look! A close parking place." (Thought process ended.) The process just might include: "Wonder what a Tesla is???"

Well it is designated for Supercharging because there is a big Supercharger right in front of the spot. The spot just isn't exclusive for Supercharging. It's first come first serve so a Tesla has just as much right to 'block' that spot as an ICE. Not sure why you are upset about this.

+1

Also, I've seen sites where 1A and 1B are Supercharging Only, while 2B and 2A are "General Parking." If someone is charging in 1A, who in their right mind would take 1B if 2A and 2B are available?

+1

Also, I've seen sites where 1A and 1B are Supercharging Only, while 2B and 2A are "General Parking." If someone is charging in 1A, who in their right mind would take 1B if 2A and 2B are available?

You'd be surprised. I've seen Tesla owners that appear to be unaware of A/B charger sharing several times now. I was at the Grants Pass, OR SC and a Tesla owner drove in and parked in a B slot when the A slot was occupied. I said hello as he was getting out and he just glared at me so I didn't bother explaining.

Next time please give a little more information rather than just linking to an interesting thread somewhere, especially if you're starting a new thread about a topic that has hundreds of posts here already (ICEing). For those interested, it's about an ICE being ticketed for parking at a supercharger in Arizona.

The whole concept of shared spots does not make a whole lot of sense to me. If Tesla is going to make the investment to install Superchargers they should find spots that allow dedicated parking. I also don't understand why Tesla does not paint the parking spots in red or green paint so there is no uncertainty about the spot being reserved for Tesla Supercharging

You'd be surprised. I've seen Tesla owners that appear to be unaware of A/B charger sharing several times now. I was at the Grants Pass, OR SC and a Tesla owner drove in and parked in a B slot when the A slot was occupied. I said hello as he was getting out and he just glared at me so I didn't bother explaining.

That's why I always start with, "Do you understand about pairing?" I have found that only about one in five have ever heard of it. Who reads the manual? Is it in the manual? Why didn't my DS tell me?

"That charger is impaired," might slow them down. A hello with a smile might mean you want to discuss Tesla for the next half hour.

Yeah that is a shame. Blink! made some messages you could leave under people's wipers. Perhaps peppering them will help some. These all allude to "EV Only" (with the harshest toned one the least so weirdly). You can find them here: http://prod.blinknetwork.com/file/7741/Blink+Courtesy+Notices.pdf

View attachment 50534
View attachment 50533
View attachment 50532

Late to the party here, but I felt the need to drop in and say that it doesn't at all surprise me that Blink management signed off on those placards. It's a reflection of general ineptitude.