Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ICE car parked in supercharger spot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla on ICEd Superchargers:

On the southbound side, a nonelectric
Saab 9-5 was occupying one of two spaces marked with signs reserving them for people charging the Model S, the only car able to use the stations. “We can’t forbid nonelectrics from using the parking spaces,” Shanna Hendriks, a Tesla spokeswoman, said. “We can only hope that people respect the signs.”

Tesla Begins East Coast Fast-Charging Corridor - NYTimes.com

I assume the Tesla spokeswoman was specifically referring to Conneticut. Other states have laws prohibiting gasoline vehicles from parking in EV parking spaces.

I also find it difficult to believe that if a firm has arranged for private parking that they couldn't enforce towing of violating vehicle regardless if they were EVs or ICEs. I guess it really depends on the terms of use that Tesla has negotiated with the site host.

Larry

Just supercharge the ground around it and make the ground electrified too. It shuts off when a Tesla pulls on top of it and the fob deactivates it. One step out of a non-Tesla car and ZZZAAAAPPPPP they get shocked. heh heh heh....that'll teach them a lesson.

I assume the Tesla spokeswoman was specifically referring to Conneticut. Other states have laws prohibiting gasoline vehicles from parking in EV parking spaces.

Larry

She was, and the governor of Conneticut was very very proud to be first in the Northeast to host the Tesla SuperChargers.

I wonder how he would react to their usage being blocked by callous ICE drivers? I bet he would welcome an opportunity for "revenue enhancement" to assist with this issue. Who writes well, and knows buerecratic lingo (speaks their language)? I bet if approached with a well worded letter on the issue, Connecticut would have a law or ordinance on the books within months, the governor is an EV fan.

Another option...

Introduce inductive charging to the Model S in a form that will ignite if attempted on an ICE vehicle.

A headline like "Parking in a Tesla spot will make your ICE explode" will get some attention quickly.

Might solve the hybrid problem too.

They could just use a pass and one of those anti ram posts that come out the ground (see Anti rampalen en anti parkeerpalen | Minten Toegangscontrole Boekel) (sorry Dutch website). The Netherlands is filled with these to prevent cars from getting.. well anywhere. But they work reliably in snow & ice, rain and sunshine. You could then also make the charging system paid for non-Tesla or something.

--edit-- Added concept:

Schermafbeelding 2013-01-15 om 11.24.12.png

--edit2-- You could also let it stay in the ground normally but come upwards after parking, locking in the icehole :D

Last edited:
I think we will be doing EV's and ourselves good to gently remind people. I place the following flyer on car windows if they park in a charging spot.

"Please do not park in the places for electric vehicles. At the moment there are not many places to charge an electric car and many of us early adopters plan our routes on how and where we can charge. If we arrive and all parking spaces are full we could be left stranded.

By having people drive electric vehicles it helps you by helping to keep a lid on the demand and price of gasoline. If demand for gasoline drops then the prices can stabilize, but if we all use more gas we can be sure the prices will continue to rise.

So please help keep these spaces open for those people that need them.

Thank you"

Another option is to place a parking cone in the spot. 99% of the people who do this do it becase it is easy (they are lazy). If they have to jump out and move a cone they pass. It has worked well in out small town.

Maybe if Tesla made supercharging stations look more like gas stations, people would have an easier time understanding the analogy.

Sadly I have known many people who will park at a gas pump and not actually purchase gasoline. They go into the store and buy whatever, then walk back out to their car at the pump. And almost all of the people I know who do this, have done this with all the pumps taken up. I am amazed at the ability of people to care about no one but themselves some times.

"Severe tire damage will occur if you attempt to park a non Tesla SuperCharger equipped vehicle in this space!"

This would be great. Even if there are not any tire mauling devices present. Tesla owners could provide their own tire destruction devices (knives) and destroy the tires for Tesla. It would be great.

Tesla on ICEd Superchargers:

On the southbound side, a nonelectric
Saab 9-5 was occupying one of two spaces marked with signs reserving them for people charging the Model S, the only car able to use the stations. “We can’t forbid nonelectrics from using the parking spaces,” Shanna Hendriks, a Tesla spokeswoman, said. “We can only hope that people respect the signs.”

Tesla Begins East Coast Fast-Charging Corridor - NYTimes.com

In this case, they may not be able to forbid it, because they are using spaces at an Interstate rest stop, and the state probably has rules about that.

Where they build the Superchargers on private parking lots, they certainly can forbid nonelectrics.

- - - Updated - - -

Sadly I have known many people who will park at a gas pump and not actually purchase gasoline. They go into the store and buy whatever, then walk back out to their car at the pump. And almost all of the people I know who do this, have done this with all the pumps taken up. I am amazed at the ability of people to care about no one but themselves some times.
Good grief. Every gas station I've ever seen has some parking spots specifically for people who are not buying gasoline, and people do this anyway? Wow.