Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ICE car parked in supercharger spot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I doubt that is correct - at least not in WA state.

One of my favorite LEAF charging spots is in the basement garage of a public library. The five EVSEs are as far as you can get from the stairs and elevator, and I have never seen them ICEd. There are handicap spaces next to the elevator. OTOH, at a large high end mall where the EVSEs are next to the sky bridge into the mall, the slots are frequently occupied by ICEs or Volts and LEAFs not plugged in.

I think Jerry was referring to something more common in Texas - large parking lots and big box or mini-mall stores. In these cases it might be harder to run the lines out to a far place from the main building.

I visited the new Tesla Supercharger station on I-95 in Milford, CT the other day (southbound side). One of the two stations was occupied by a Honda Accord. I'm afraid this will become a fairly common occurrence, since these are premium spots near the convenience store/dining, even though the spots are clearly posted as for Tesla vehicles only. A couple came out and got in their car a few minutes later. I wanted to make a snappy comment guaranteed to shame this guy, but I was at a loss. Anyone have any ideas for rebukes that aren't likely to cause a fistfight? I've attached a pic of the culprit.
You didn't attach the picture.
Mods ... can you change thread title to "car".

I like the idea of having it gated somehow that only a Tesla FOB would open it. At a minimum, in addition to if there is signage is already there for Tesla/EV's only, there should definitely also be big white paint saying TESLA / ELECTRIC PLUG-INS ONLY on the pavement. and signs that say "non-ev's towed at owners expense."

I finally got the attachment to work. Here is a pic of the license plate AND the culprit returning to his car!
DSC3036.jpg

Attachments

• DSC3036.jpg
    DSC3036.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 470
I would hestitate about angrily confronting people or leaving hostile notes on vehicles that have ICE'd you. There is already some hostility and resistance towards EVs out there, and any aggressive behavoir in this type of situation could be very costly and counter-productive.

I would definitely leave one of the sample notes from upthread on the ICE. If I was on a roadtrip and desperate for a charge, I would consider parking in such a manner as to block the ICE if necessary, and then I would stay with the Tesla as it charged, until the ICE driver returned. I really hope Tesla can come up with a better solution for this issue.

Still worried that you couldn't legally tow until the car was classified/deemed abandoned

Ah yes, Tesla would need to designate those spots as private, then they could get the tow away signs up pretty easily and then tow anyone w/o a Tesla badge. But, that just creates more friction for Tesla.

I think the best way to do this is to make these spots as unappealing as possible by putting them far away from other spots :( Unless they can get some kind of barrier system installed...

Surprising that the spaces would not already be considered private property, given that Tesla clearly must own the space. It would really only need a small sign stating such and the risks of parking. We could then snap a picture and send it to them for enforcement. Either way, I don't think that the jackhole who would do this would be Tesla's target demographic anyway (was that smug?)

It's very obvious it's meant for someone OTHER than the people who are using these spaces with their ICE vehicles, if you can't see the giant TESLA charging stand with cable, when you pull in, their is signage you MUST see, as it's in your face.

Towing isn't the solution, much more effective would be to issue citations, similar to parking in a handicapped parking spot.

If these "drivers" are issued $250 fines (that must be issued by the local or state police, so that if not paid your license or insurance isn't renewed), they won't do it twice. State and local police are often to be found at these rest areas, and we could probably locate one quicker and easier than dealing with a towing company. What is needed is a local law or ordinance so they can be issued a citation, better yet if they decide to "fight it" it now wastes their time showing up in court, of course I would snap pictures and close ups of the signage and email it to the citing officer or court for backup on the case.

Tesla on ICEd Superchargers:

On the southbound side, a nonelectric
Saab 9-5 was occupying one of two spaces marked with signs reserving them for people charging the Model S, the only car able to use the stations. “We can’t forbid nonelectrics from using the parking spaces,” Shanna Hendriks, a Tesla spokeswoman, said. “We can only hope that people respect the signs.”

Tesla Begins East Coast Fast-Charging Corridor - NYTimes.com

Will the cable reach if you pull behind them blocking them in? You'd have to stay near your car in case they come back.

I can't believe Tesla has no power to protect their own charging spots. I guess it is not private property.

Saab 9-5 was occupying one of two spaces marked with signs reserving them for people charging the Model S, the only car able to use the stations. “We can’t forbid nonelectrics from using the parking spaces,” Shanna Hendriks, a Tesla spokeswoman, said. “We can only hope that people respect the signs.”

Yes I've seen that article. They could "gate" the spaces, "treadles" that retract when a Model S is nearby, if you drive into it with an ICE car, bang, 4 blown tires. There is a creative solution to every problem. Even something much simpler such as a gate or chain blocking the space would probably be enough... The Model S driver wouldn't mind getting out to move the chain, these human slugs would move on to an easier to use parking space :)

If that's the deal, it's NEVER gonna work. It's just gonna get worse and worse as regular ICE drivers realize they can use the spots. If this is really the case, the only answer is to make the spots bad spots. Very far away from where the ICE driver wants to be.