Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging waiting makes my friends angry

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why did you put up with his *sugar* attitude? He can drive himself.
Well, I didn't expect that he get that angry. Because we did the same trip last year and he didn't get mad, but he got mad this trip.

But we are okay now, it's been over a month so I'm over it and we still talk. But if I do a road trip again with him or someone else, I hope they are aware of charging and being okay to do things next to supercharging.

Like my other friend I went to Lake Tahoe, while we came back from North Star and going back to the Ballys South Lake Tahoe hotel, I told him lets eat at this pizza place while the Tesla charges. He agreed and did what I instructed. If we ate food and supercharged separately, that would have been annoying.

My other arcade friend however likes to make a bunch of random stops that have no charging options. Hopefully next time if we do another long haul trip he will do things around the Tesla's charging needs. If I'm lucky and have a home base for overnight charging near the hotel, that would make commuting much easier, I'll bring my electric scooter if I must access a free L2 charger a mile away. This worked very well when I visited him at his apartment in (Glendale) Phoenix AZ, he lived near a giant shopping center with free L2 chargers and I used my scooter to get back to his apartment and left my car a mile away. And every morning I had a 100% charge, no other car parked there overnight.

I did a road trip from Southern CA (Orange County) to Northern CA (Sunnyvale) with my arcade friend. And wow everytime we had to supercharge he will vent his frustration and anger every time we had to do it. He will say why not do it later I don't want to do it now. But he also doesn't want to help put in some research on good places to stop that have supercharging so I had to do all that work to try get the car charged up every arcade or destination we stopped at. Since we are mostly doing arcades, mostly the big chains like Dave and Busters and Round1 have Tesla superchargers or free level 2 charging because they were in malls. My first plan was to find a home base to charge near our hotel while sleeping that was within a 5 minute E-scooter ride distance, but there was nothing open to the public. So I was forced to hopefully plan a charging route while we stopped at these arcades so we didn't have to wait separately for charging.

On New Years, we went to watch fireworks in San Francisco but I decided we should get a full charge to around 70%-80% on the way back because we would need it the next day as the car was going to be at 20% when we left SF. But my friend started complaining so hard about having to charge at night. But I said it's better to do it at night because it's a little cheaper and there will be less Teslas charging therefore faster charging. He insisted we should just do it next day during day time and said I was being so cheap over it. I got so mad over I started yelling at him because it was either he gets at me now or later. We found a charger that was a 150w, but I sensed it was charging kind of slow because it's a 150w and it was completely full because it was like 8-10 chargers. I decided we should go to a 250w station that was on the way to the hotel, but my friend got so mad about my decision to go to another supercharger, but I kept telling him it should be faster because it's 250w and it had more stations.

Next day we traveled from Sunnyvale, Daly City, Pacifica, Santa Cruz, back to SunnyVale, I successfully got all our charging done while we were doing something. Also charging at night previous day helped eliminate us waiting for supercharging in the day. Like when he wants to go to a chuck e cheese to film a YouTube tour for 10-15 minutes I could go charge since supercharger was across street. Then we got to Dave and Busters Daly City, there was a 72w supercharger but it was fine because we were gonna be there for 30-60 minutes so it got from 70 to 95 percent slowly but worth doing since we were doing something. And that supercharger was kind of far from Dave and Busters, I brought my electric scooter so I could easily go across the mall and not be constrained by a longer walking distance and lock it somewhere. That day he didn't get mad or argue with me because all of our stops had charging while we did something. Topping off in Daly City allowed us to go to Santa Cruz, back to Sunnyvale (hotel) around 50%-60%, then the next day to make it to Modesto CA with 20% left.

Then on our way back from North CA to Southern CA he got a little more annoyed and upset about the supercharging. So I started getting so annoyed by it and all his views about EVs, I started telling him then how gas is making people poor and struggling to pay for gas and they are ignorant to not choose a cheaper source of energy even if it takes longer. And I told him how he should help me plan out the charging route and install the plug share app, he just says that's stupid to find EV charging and gas stations are better. Or that he should choose restaurants next to superchargers instead of an In n Out where we had to wait for 20 minutes with no charging. He didn't mind waiting in long lines at In n Out but he will start complaining so much if we did that same wait at a supercharger.

In the end about arguing about supercharging and how we should plan our restaurant stops next to superchargers, he states "I don't want a car to control my life" so therefore all the places he wanted to stop without supercharging added up to our waiting time. Alot of restaurants he wanted to go to were not along supercharging routes so I was annoyed by it but I compromised because he really wanted In n Out and offered to buy me In n Out because he knew his decision was going to affect our supercharging waiting. Because if he didn't buy me food, I probably just tell him how waiting 30 min at a crowded In n Out (no charging) will mean we will have to wait 30 min at another supercharger later.

He also hates the autopilot when it does random phantom braking or swerves during a lane change. He vents his frustration about the autopilot and says it's my fault for not paying attention although I was paying attention. I am aware if the Tesla autopilot has some errors and I will be ready to take over it something weird happens like phantom braking. But if the Tesla phantom brakes he will get really upset about it. But even though the autopilot has some imperfections, it's a minor inconvenience to have a huge convenience of being to have more energy to drive long distance.

He also has alot of republican style views. He has puts FBiden on the Space Invader leaderboards at all the arcades. Even though Biden is promoting EV and giving tax credits. He refused to get a COVID shot back in 2020-21 and said "I don't know what is in it". Not caring if it meant being refused entry from some arcades like Dave and Busters and me telling him why not just get it if you can get into more places? He won't admit to me if he is a pro-republican but it seems if something is controlling his life he will not have it. He rather have gas prices control his life than an EV. He rather be refused entry to a good arcade that he could profit just to not get a COVID shot. He drives a 2019 Honda Civic that gets 40 mph. Which is decent, but I probably argue that a 40 mph car is less fun to drive and has no autopilot or cool tech features like a Tesla. He is 20 years old but has old man ideas because he hates electric scooters and EV charging. He has very little interest about how to plan the best EV charging route and if I tell him to help me out on this, he will just say it's your responsibility and he has no interest in EVs. So because he wouldn't help me, I was forced to plan everything. And it's also frustrating because he wanted to make many random stops to like Taco Bell or In N Out and refusing to eat at any restaurant next to a supercharger when we had so many options to do so. I think because he is a republican / pro trump kind of guy that thinks EVs are stupid.

But in the end, he never offered to just say "lets drive my Honda Civic because we don't have to charge". He knows gas is expensive so that's why he didn't propose to drive his car and I just end up driving. He offered to pay his half in hotel in prizes he won from key master and I justified not asking him to pitch in for EV charging because he spotted me 5000 D&B tickets and helped me win jackpots on my card. He won me maybe over $100 retail value for $25 (I paid for) at one arcade we visited because they had no games I could win. Since I drove the Tesla, I felt it was cheap enough to not really care how we split it as long as it seemed fair. If we drove my parents Lexus GX which my parents have offered to let me borrow, I may start demanding more out of him and I don't know if he would really be down to split the bill on an SUV that gets 20 mpg. But then it has no autopilot so it make it harder for me to drive so long.
He sounds like a lot of fun.

Well, I didn't expect that he get that angry. Because we did the same trip last year and he didn't get mad, but he got mad this trip.

But we are okay now, it's been over a month so I'm over it and we still talk. But if I do a road trip again with him or someone else, I hope they are aware of charging and being okay to do things next to supercharging.

Like my other friend I went to Lake Tahoe, while we came back from North Star and going back to the Ballys South Lake Tahoe hotel, I told him lets eat at this pizza place while the Tesla charges. He agreed and did what I instructed. If we ate food and supercharged separately, that would have been annoying.

My other arcade friend however likes to make a bunch of random stops that have no charging options. Hopefully next time if we do another long haul trip he will do things around the Tesla's charging needs. If I'm lucky and have a home base for overnight charging near the hotel, that would make commuting much easier, I'll bring my electric scooter if I must access a free L2 charger a mile away. This worked very well when I visited him at his apartment in (Glendale) Phoenix AZ, he lived near a giant shopping center with free L2 chargers and I used my scooter to get back to his apartment and left my car a mile away. And every morning I had a 100% charge, no other car parked there overnight.
I'd just put my foot down. As in, either he drives, or we eat at restaurants close to DC fast chargers. Stopping for food and not charging, then stopping for charging separately, is painful, and is the big limitation of EVs right now because not every parking lot has DC fast charging in it. If I want to stop where there's no DC fast charging, I'd rather take an ICE vehicle. So either he drives and pays for gas, or he saves on gas and is restricted in where the food stops are -- that's the tradeoff. You can't have it both ways. So he should make a decision before the trip begins, and I'd let him make the decision. But I'd be clear that whatever decision he makes, I don't want to hear any complaining, since he got to choose which car we take. And with regard to charging during peak hours: "Pay me the difference in the costs, and I won't complain about it."

Last edited:
I'd just put my foot down. As in, either he drives, or we eat at restaurants close to DC fast chargers. Stopping for food and not charging, then stopping for charging separately, is painful, and is the big limitation of EVs right now because not every parking lot has DC fast charging in it. If I want to stop where there's no DC fast charging, I'd rather take an ICE vehicle. So either he drives and pays for gas, or he saves on gas and is restricted in where the food stops are -- that's the tradeoff. You can't have it both ways. So he should make a decision before the trip begins, and I'd let him make the decision. But I'd be clear that whatever decision he makes, I don't want to hear any complaining, since he got to choose which car we take. And with regard to charging during peak hours: "Pay me the difference in the costs, and I won't complain about it."
When I go places with friends in my car, I get to decide where we eat.

I'd just put my foot down. As in, either he drives, or we eat at restaurants close to DC fast chargers.
Yeah, I don't think it needed NEARLY this much discussion or detail in the story. Since he doesn't want to drive and use his gas, but wants to mooch off my car, he can STFU and not complain or stay at home.

So my arcade friend / rival has been disrespectful to me / the Tesla and less generous in helping me out win arcade tickets in exchange for coming with me in my Tesla to all these arcades. We are both advantage players and we can profit from ticket redemption games.

On a day trip we could commute like from Orange County to LA and back, so it's like 100-200 mile round trip to hit up a bunch of arcades. And I'm the one who is driving all the time, he never offers to drive, but he usually will win me tickets at a profit. But he is becoming disrespectful to me and dissing the Tesla autopilot stating that he is not lazy and doesn't need a robot car and saying how stupid supercharging / charging is because it's slow and not as fast as gas. However, the main thing I'm angry at him for is he has been getting infinite mobile coupons for Dave and Busters called $25 for $25 which is the best rate you could get. And he won't tell me where he gets nor shares any with me even though I drive him everywhere and he is saving money on gas. And it has come to the point I'm cutting him off from my Tesla so he will be forced to drive his Honda Civic and pay the high gas prices in CA.

He claims his 2016-18 Honda Civic is cheap to drive and he doesn't care because it's like 40mpg and he knows how to hack gas apps, which he may be right, but he could also be full of *sugar*. His car gets around 40mpg. Gas in CA is about $5 / gallon but he never told me his exact cost with whatever gas hacks he knows, I think it's only like $1 off from Chevron which is well known he just needs more phone numbers. But the fact he needs gas discounts shows he still relies on coupons when he insults me for looking for a fast food coupon I stash in my car and saying I'm cheap.

Anyways, my goal is to force him to share those infinite Dave and Busters coupons with me or he gets no more rides with me in the Tesla. He claims he isn't lazy and doesn't mind driving his Honda Civic, but I don't how true this is because he literally never offered to drive, only win tickets for me. He says his car is really good on gas but at $5 / gallon in CA and getting 40 mpg. If he got 20mpg I could be very confident that will cut into his profits, but I don't know about 40 mpg in a Honda Civic.

However his ex-friend says he isn't very nice, and most likely is refusing to let me have coupons just because he enjoys denying people stuff.

I only do this arcade stuff for fun but I'm not under pressure to sell my stuff to get fast money, I will refuse to sell any big prize for any massive discount just to get money faster, but my friend will sell himself out just to get money faster. I focus on keeping my prizes or giving to my family. I rather give iPads / consoles to my dad to send as gifts to the factory managers in China than to sell at a massive discount to strangers. Because doing so, maybe the managers will think for the company more which means more money to buy more Teslas and maybe another house.

Last edited:
Here is the main question that related to: "cars & transportation"

Is driving a Tesla cheaper than a gas car like a Honda Civic if your hobby is profiting from arcades. And is it worth my friend to deny me infinite D&B coupons (that may cost him nothing and he may have enough of) at the cost that I can cut him off from getting free rides in my Tesla and now he must drive his Honda Civic / pay gas.

Here is the main question that related to: "cars & transportation"

Is driving a Tesla cheaper than a gas car like a Honda Civic....

You can stop right there and answer your own question. Seems like a simple cost per mile exercise based on energy rates for both vehicles. That gets you 90% there. The other half of it is what is your profit per hour average and then calculate your loss based on additional time spent charging.

I am guessing your friend only does this hobby for fun as well or he would have figured all this out as well.

This is, by far, the weirdest and most head scratching thread on this whole forum.

I concur!

I wonder if couples had arguments that came about because one the partners hated waiting for charging. Alot of angry political / social ideas were argued when my friend started complaining about supercharging.

I said it's the people's fault in the Bakersfield area for not adopting EVs & supercharging because they believe the way he does and are pro gas stations. Because we traveled on CA-99 and there was one huge gap that required us get get over 80% in Viscilia CA to not have to backtrack to the out of way Bakersfield supercharger and make it to Tejon Ranch which was on the way. There is no supercharger in the Bakersfield area along the CA99 route, it's only on the I-5 part.
Read my day-1 nightmare trip when I picked up my 2014 MS60 and foolishly decided to take it beyond it's range to a concert.... A cautionary tale! The wife handled it pretty well but now is, understandably, very gunshy about taking it for anything beyond a relatively short trip! 😂😝😘

Read my day-1 nightmare trip when I picked up my 2014 MS60 and foolishly decided to take it beyond it's range to a concert.... A cautionary tale! The wife handled it pretty well but now is, understandably, very gunshy about taking it for anything beyond a relatively short trip! 😂😝😘

What does that mean, like you ran out of battery with no charging options available? Thankfully that has never happened to me of owning a Tesla since Jan 2019. I live in Southern CA and I have only traveled to places that are within a one day commute and stayed in that area. Phoenix AZ is probably the worst cities within a day commute to supercharge when staying in the area.

What does that mean, like you ran out of battery with no charging options available? Thankfully that has never happened to me of owning a Tesla since Jan 2019. I live in Southern CA and I have only traveled to places that are within a one day commute and stayed in that area. Phoenix AZ is probably the worst cities within a day commute to supercharge when staying in the area.
No, I just severely overestimated my range and underestimated the slow charging rates at destination chargers. I went to a concert and planned on leaving the car charging during the concert, which would have worked as planned, but the charger was in a sketchy area so I didn't.

Then when we got out of the concert we had a low SOC and a long drive home, and had to stop at several destination chargers along the way. I knew enough not to run the battery down to zero, so we had to make several stops literally ALL NIGHT LONG until 6am the next morning.

Oh man I hope you got a smoking deal on that non-supercharging 60. Like, literally on fire, flames 1,000 ft in the sky smoking deal. The supercharger network is the only reason I put up with Tesla's shenanigans...

Did you check if you can use 3rd-party fast charging, such as Chademo with the adapter? Also if you have noticed, american L2 chargers on a 250v (non-industrial) line will charge 17% faster than a charger on a 208v (industrial) line, assuming the same standard 40 amps at each.

You still have regen, so have a friend pull you up a mountain, then coast down... over and over hahaha

Last edited:
Reactions: vickh