Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ICE car parked in supercharger spot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Supercharger spots aren't EV spots. They are Tesla spots. Which makes it a bit more confusing for the average law-man.

With all due respect I don't follow your reasoning. They are certainly EV spots. They may or may not be Tesla private spots depending on what Tesla negotiated with the host site. However, are you really suggesting that if a state law was passed that prohibited ICE vehicles from parking in EV parking spaces that law enforcement wouldn't figure what to do? We've got a lot of Floridiots in our state, but I have no doubt that both ICE drivers and law enforcement know what they should be doing in an EV parking space with proper signage and markings.

Larry

With all due respect I don't follow your reasoning. They are certainly EV spots. They may or may not be Tesla private spots depending on what Tesla negotiated with the host site. However, are you really suggesting that if a state law was passed that prohibited ICE vehicles from parking in EV parking spaces that law enforcement wouldn't figure what to do? We've got a lot of Floridiots in our state, but I have no doubt that both ICE drivers and law enforcement know what they should be doing in an EV parking space with proper signage and markings.

Larry

I was simply pointing out that designating a supercharger spot as EV only wouldn't stop Leafs/Volts/etc from parking there. Different problem, but similar.

My point exactly...... They need to label them obviously so they can be enforced!
You can't put up a sign threatening to tow someone if you don't have the legal right to tow them. As noted by others, what's needed is a concerted lobbying push to make parking a non plug-in vehicle in an EV charging spot a ticket+tow offense. Of course, then you get into the messy details, as we've seen in California: if I park my Model S in an EV spot but don't plug in, should I be towed? What if I did plug in, but then someone unplugs me (either to borrow the plug after I'm done, or just to be malicious)? Sticky issues here that have been discussed at length on other threads.

Well, they're caught. They probably DO have the legal right to tow, but also (if they're thinking) don't want to get a reputation for towing. I can see the headline, "Tesla Tows Single Mom Picking Up Milk for Kids". Or maybe they tow who would have been their next new customer.

If it becomes a real problem over the long-term, they'll have to act. But let's give the general public a little bit of time, with education and proper signage (that needs to be fixed pronto), to do the right thing.

And well today on my penultimate tank fill up (I'll have to fill up before I return my friends truck) I went to a QT and there were 6 pumps, and 6 cars. There was *ONE* person pumping, who started as I was creeping around the pumps. They finished and drove off quickly (because they actually looked, and saw me waiting). Then the person, who was already at a pump, pulled forward into the new spot I was lined up at. I drove around to the recently vacated spot. All this time there was NO ONE pumping but all the slots filled. I started pumping gas, as well as another person. I finished. The lady who took my spot still had not started pumping. As I was turning out the lady finally got out of her Tahoe and swiped her card.

All in all I waited for someone's full fill up. Then did my full fill-up (20 gallons worth). And at all 6 pumps there were 3 people who filled up, or even had a nozzle in their car the whole time. And there were no empty slots the entire time.

I am so glad I won't have to deal with gas stations ever again.