Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I test drove Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL RWD (short review)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to see how I liked the 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL RWD as my EDD is not until mid May, so maybe get into a new car sooner. I very much liked the styling. As a matter of fact, I like the overall looks better than the model Y. Seat covers are very nice design, and very comfortable. I liked the 2 separate 12" dash screens, with the speedometer directly behind the steering wheel. Tremendous amount of headroom.

EF32A1DA-08ED-400C-A129-A259CC874FE8.jpeg

I drove the non-glass roof version. You have to upgrade to highest level (Limited) to get glass roof like the Y. Car had good acceleration, and was quiet. It had some features not available on the Y, such as side view mirror, blind spot detection, and had an almost perfect view through rear view mirror - much better than Y.

Frunk had almost zero space to put anything but perhaps the portable charger/cable in there. Also, rear cargo space was visually smaller than the Y. Rear seats are on tracks so you can move them forward or back, and also have recline adjustment (nice feature). The at-home charger supplied with the Ioniq is just 115v, with no option available.

Meaning you must buy your own 220v charger, which I saw online, priced around $400 - $500. Hyundai does give you 2 years free charging at Electrify America, but there are hardly any in my area, the closest being about 30 minutes away.

That was enough to rule out buying the Ioniq 5. Imagine taking a trip and having to rely on chargers that are not abundant, and I have read are often inoperable. Another minus is setting regenerative braking. It must be set each time you start the car - it doesn't stay in the mode when it was turned of - big negative. Sticker price was around $47k. I asked the salesman if they sell at msrp and he said they add $3k to sticker, plus $799 dealer fee. I later called another dealer under the same ownership, and they add $1,799 to sticker, plus dealer fee - a $1,200 savings. SEL models come with 19" wheels, while Limited has 20".

I asked my CPA about getting the $7,500 rebate, and he said I would qualify for part of it based on last years tax return, but didn't know if I could get remaining balance the following year. I thought I read that you could, so if anyone knows for sure, please leave a comment below. The dealer knew nothing about the rebate except that it is $7,500. Considering the rebate, the price of the car comes out to around $42k which I feel is a great deal on this car, if you are willing to put up with charging headaches. And our gov't. in all its wisdom, does not offer an instant rebate, therefore making you pay tax on that $7,500 rebate. I think we will be seeing a lot of these on the road soon. They have really just started to deliver them, so limited availability at this time, but they're on their way.

It will be good for Tesla to have some real competition, especially at this price point, which Tesla cannot touch. One last thing... paint colors. They have a nice variety of colors available. I'm so tired of seeing the same Tesla
colors, year in - year out. Hyundai does offer the top level trim Limited model with full glass roof (with retractable electric cover) , ventilated seats, AWD, and a lot more, but those are priced at around $55k or more and reflect a more direct comparison to the model Y. But minus $7,500.

I hope this review is helpful to those considering an Ioniq 5.

“Hyundai Ioniq 5 NE white (6).jpg” by Damian B Oh is licensed under CC BY-ND 4.0.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, the RAV4 Prime is a nice piece, I seriously considered it (although it does have aspects that telegraph it being on the low-end of the Toyota lineup). But $10k over MSRP was an immediate no. I literally told the Toyota dealer that for $58k I could go buy a Tesla... and then I did so. Vastly better car in almost all ways except for the rare case where you need to use gasoline for range in some weird rural area.

There's no way I'd own an EV if I couldn't charge at home.

I'm really looking forward to test driving an Ioniq5. But having to use a traditional dealership again is going to be miserable.
Consider this from my perspective: I live in a part of Pennsylvania where there is no nearby service center. My choices for service or repair are limited. If I hit a deer or need a serious repair, there’s no loaner available. Ioniq comes with two years of free EA charging, and I already have a charging station at home. To add insult to all this, my state’s laws won’t let Tesla inspect my car and put a sticker on it. So I’m buying a Hyundai.

Consider this from my perspective: I live in a part of Pennsylvania where there is no nearby service center. My choices for service or repair are limited. If I hit a deer or need a serious repair, there’s no loaner available. Ioniq comes with two years of free EA charging, and I already have a charging station at home. To add insult to all this, my state’s laws won’t let Tesla inspect my car and put a sticker on it. So I’m buying a Hyundai.
Whaaat?

Sounds like a Hyundai would make more sense for you. It seems like a decent car from the little I’ve read.

Out of curiosity, what’s the issue with Teslas in PA?

Sounds like a Hyundai would make more sense for you. It seems like a decent car from the little I’ve read.

Out of curiosity, what’s the issue with Teslas in PA?
Tesla can't do PA state inspections because any site that is authorized to do PA state inspections has to also be set up to do emissions testing. Obviously Tesla does not want to waste money or shop space on that. I can think of a number of reason to prefer the Ioniq 5 over a Tesla, but this one is not one of them :)

• Informative
Reactions: Ormond and tm1v2
Tesla can't do PA state inspections because any site that is authorized to do PA state inspections has to also be set up to do emissions testing. Obviously Tesla does not want to waste money or shop space on that. I can think of a number of reason to prefer the Ioniq 5 over a Tesla, but this one is not one of them :)
Do the inspections have to be done by the dealer? We don't have inspections in MN. When I lived in NY you could go to any garage that was licensed by the state to do the inspection.

Do the inspections have to be done by the dealer? We don't have inspections in MN. When I lived in NY you could go to any garage that was licensed by the state to do the inspection.
No, any authorized state inspection location can do it. Some will not 'because Tesla', but plenty will. Hell, your local Hyundai/Toyota/Ford/Nissan dealer service center will probably even do it for you.

And you joined this forum why ?????????????????

Can’t you just get it inspected at any auto mechanic shop? I know in NY you can. I have seen lots teslas in PA, they must be getting inspected somewhere.

Reactions: WhiteWi and tm1v2
Can’t you just get it inspected at any auto mechanic shop? I know in NY you can. I have seen lots teslas in PA, they must be getting inspected somewhere.
That’s part of the point. I want a seamless relationship with my vehicle, including good service. I am a stockholder and have done well so far. Good company, great technology in the vehicle. But I don’t want to run all over the place.

• Funny
Reactions: WhiteWi
That’s part of the point. I want a seamless relationship with my vehicle, including good service. I am a stockholder and have done well so far. Good company, great technology in the vehicle. But I don’t want to run all over the place.
I understand good service, but what does that have to do with getting an inspection? Just go to the nearest and most convenient auto mechanic to get it done annually. No different than any other car.

Is mobile service not an option? Here in Northern CA we have a lot of service centers, but usually, the Tesla guys can come out in a week or two to your home or work, and fix what I need, replace tires, etc. Nothing is better than having your car worked on while you attend to business.

Not sure how using the dealer for an annual inspection is required for a ‘seamless relationship.’ I would classify a seamless relationship as one where I never see the dealer, but whatever. If you only want to take your cars to a dealership then you need to buy a make that has a dealer near you and there’s no point in even looking at anything else.

I thought states with this issue and Tesla were working on exemptions for Tesla Service centers. The issue seems to be that Tesla SCs do not have smog checking certification and equipment (gee, no kidding).

Not sure how using the dealer for an annual inspection is required for a ‘seamless relationship.’ I would classify a seamless relationship as one where I never see the dealer, but whatever. If you only want to take your cars to a dealership then you need to buy a make that has a dealer near you and there’s no point in even looking at anything else.

Yeah, in 25 years of owning cars I have never brought one to my dealership unless I absolutely had to for warranty work or recalls. Have always preferred the convenience, service, and prices of an independent mechanic that I trust.

First I have ever heard of this as part of a car buying decision.

Some dealerships have great snacks. My Porsche dealership has drinks, cookies, chips, etcetera. At Tesla, the choices are water, coffee, and a mint. :) YMMV

I do have salesmen that I know fairly well from hanging out at the snack bars. The Tesla sales advisors don’t tend to stay long.

I also like the Hyundai, but I haven’t seen one in person yet. I have too much self-respect to go to a Kia or Hyundai dealership for food. I prefer the high-end dealers.