Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I-40 — Marching Towards OKC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry, no more info than the table, Applebee's Ambiguity... If you find out anything more about Santa Rosa, please report it here.

Texans will have multiple ways off the island soon!

There's an Applebee's adjacent to a Holiday Inn Express near the I-40/I-25 interchange - that might be the first place to try.

I tried calling the front desk at the Santa Rosa Holiday Inn Express and was piped through to a generic voice mail greeting.

There's an Applebee's adjacent to a Holiday Inn Express near the I-40/I-25 interchange - that might be the first place to try.

I tried calling the front desk at the Santa Rosa Holiday Inn Express and was piped through to a generic voice mail greeting.

That looks like a really good location: Holiday Inn Express/Applebee's - Google Maps

There appears to be plenty of room there to build more parking spots/charging stalls, it's right at the I-40/I-25 interchange, and there are shadows of 3-phase power lines in the Google Maps aerial view.

I'm heading to Lubbock in a couple of weeks. I'll keep an eye out for activity in Santa Rosa.

I'm not saying I should have credit for it, but I emailed the suggestion page about a year and a half ago saying Santa Rosa would be a prime location, because it would allow people to cut across on US 84 to Lubbock, and then on to Dallas. Much quicker than north to OKC to get on I-40 heading west.

Time to updated the table, lots of progress:

SUPERCHARGERDESTINATIONMILESSTATION STATUSCOMMENT
Gallup, NMOklahoma, OK693 I-40 as of Feb 18th — Gallup, NM to Oklahoma City, OK - Google Maps
Gallup, NMGrants, NM58Complete Start
Grants, NMAlbuquerque, NM80Speculation 2015 Map
Albuquerque, NM Santa Rosa, NM 114 Pre-permit Reliable Source — Tesla "Opening Soon" Map — Applebee's
Santa Rosa, NM Tucumcari, NM 59 Construction Supercharger - Santa Rosa NM — Holiday Inn Express
Tucumcari, NM Amarillo, TX 115 Permit Supercharger - Tucumcari, NM — Holiday Inn Express
Amarillo, TX Shamrock, TX 96 Permit Supercharger - Amarillo, Texas
Shamrock, TX Weatherford, OK 96 Complete Shamrock Texas SuperchargerU-Drop Inn - Wikipedia
Weatherford, OK Oklahoma City, OK 70 Construction SuperCharger - Weatherford, OK
Oklahoma City, OK End Speculation 2015 Map

Added Albuquerque. The only locations without confirmation are now Grants, NM and OKC:

Gallup, NMOklahoma, OK693 I-40 as of March 5th — Gallup, NM to Oklahoma City, OK - Google Maps
Albuquerque, NM Santa Rosa, NM 114 Permit Supercharger - Albuquerque NM — Applebee's/Holiday Inn Express
Santa Rosa, NM Tucumcari, NM 59 Construction Supercharger - Santa Rosa NM — Holiday Inn Express
Tucumcari, NM Amarillo, TX 115 Permit Supercharger - Tucumcari, NM — Holiday Inn Express
Shamrock, TX Weatherford, OK 96 Complete Shamrock Texas SuperchargerU-Drop Inn - Wikipedia
Weatherford, OK Oklahoma City, OK 70 Construction SuperCharger - Weatherford, OK
Oklahoma City, OK End Speculation 2015 Map

Only Grants, NM remains unconfirmed. Santa Rosa, NM and Weatherford, OK completed. When Albuquerque and Amarillo open this route will be drivable via Superchargers only!

Gallup, NMOklahoma, OK693 I-40 as of March 5th — Gallup, NM to Oklahoma City, OK - Google Maps
Albuquerque, NM Santa Rosa, NM 114 Permit Supercharger - Albuquerque NM — Applebee's/Holiday Inn Express
Santa Rosa, NM Tucumcari, NM 59 Complete Supercharger - Santa Rosa NM — Holiday Inn Express
Weatherford, OK Oklahoma City, OK 70 Complete SuperCharger - Weatherford, OK
Oklahoma City, OK End Permit Supercharger - OKC Oklahoma

Only Grants, NM remains unconfirmed. Santa Rosa, NM and Weatherford, OK completed. When Albuquerque and Amarillo open this route will be drivable via Superchargers only! <snip chart>
Keep it to 60 or less in ideal conditions, and evtripplanner shows you can make it nonstop between Shamrock and Santa Rosa, or Santa Rosa and Gallup in an S85/19"; it's easier eastbound (downhill). Not that I'm suggesting anyone should try it, because there's little margin of error.

Seeing as how I-10/20 between Phoenix and Texas isn't supposed to complete until next year, I've got to wonder if Tesla will install SCs in Wichita Falls and Childress along U.S. 287 in the interim, as that knocks 120 miles off the Dallas - Amarillo leg by cutting out the OKC dogleg. 2 extra SCs this year for westbound travel is a lot better than a bunch in 2016.

Seeing as how I-10/20 between Phoenix and Texas isn't supposed to complete until next year, I've got to wonder if Tesla will install SCs in Wichita Falls and Childress along U.S. 287 in the interim, as that knocks 120 miles off the Dallas - Amarillo leg by cutting out the OKC dogleg. 2 extra SCs this year for westbound travel is a lot better than a bunch in 2016.

Neither Wichita Falls nor Childress appear to be on TM's immediate horizon.
Probably not until 2017.

Baby steps.

Eventually there will be a more direct route from Dallas to Colorado, but I will be able to get there without benefit of an RV Park.
In the meantime, I am humbled and grateful just to able to do some significant traveling using solely Superchargers.

Neither Wichita Falls nor Childress appear to be on TM's immediate horizon.
Probably not until 2017.

Baby steps.

Eventually there will be a more direct route from Dallas to Colorado, but I will be able to get there without benefit of an RV Park.
In the meantime, I am humbled and grateful just to able to do some significant traveling using solely Superchargers.
I know they're not on the map, but they've changed their minds before owing to public comment/demand, so might as well mention it. Sometimes the people doing the work are too close to the trees to see the forest, and this appears to be low-hanging fruit to me (have I mixed enough metaphors?).

I know they're not on the map, but they've changed their minds before owing to public comment/demand, so might as well mention it. Sometimes the people doing the work are too close to the trees to see the forest, and this appears to be low-hanging fruit to me (have I mixed enough metaphors?).
At the same time that the west Texas Superchargers went away, the east Texas Superchargers were added. As painful as having Wichita Falls delayed is, IMO, being able to get to Atlanta & Little Rock more than makes up for it.

At the same time that the west Texas Superchargers went away, the east Texas Superchargers were added. As painful as having Wichita Falls delayed is, IMO, being able to get to Atlanta & Little Rock more than makes up for it.

Amen to that: I-20 and I-30 headed East and Northeast from DFW are way more important than a direct path to Colorado.
There still is a path, it just won't be direct.
TM is aware of the desire for a diagonal path to Colorado, it just won't happen in the foreseeable future.

I have reached out to TM, and pointed out a couple of things on the current I-10 trajectory.
I still see "Disneyland to Disney World" on I-10 as having a great degree of merit.

I think probably the cheapest way for Tesla to open a more direct route to Colorado from DFW given their already planned supercharging routes would be to place one in Lubbock. That way you can take US-84 from Sweetwater to Santa Rosa pretty easily, then drive to Las Vegas and keep taking I-25 to Denver. Granted the stretch from Lubbock to Santa Rosa is on the edge of the 60 rated range. Still one supercharger instiallation would cut significant time off of the Oklahoma I 40 west route to Colorado.

I think probably the cheapest way for Tesla to open a more direct route to Colorado from DFW given their already planned supercharging routes would be to place one in Lubbock. That way you can take US-84 from Sweetwater to Santa Rosa pretty easily, then drive to Las Vegas and keep taking I-25 to Denver. Granted the stretch from Lubbock to Santa Rosa is on the edge of the 60 rated range. Still one supercharger instiallation would cut significant time off of the Oklahoma I 40 west route to Colorado.

Totally agree, would love to see that!!

I'd like to point out a few facts here on driving to Colorado.

If you are starting from DFW, then US87 via Vernon/Childress makes way more sense. Dallas to Denver is 791 miles that way. Routing via Lubbock and Santa Rosa would be 946 miles. That's not trival.

Temple, TX is about where the line is for choosing via DFW/Childress/Amarillo vs Sweetwater/Lubbock/Amarillo . Points south of Temple would be shorter going via Lubbock, Temple and points north do better through Amarillo.

And in almost no case does it make sense for an 85 to go up I-25 via Santa Rosa and Las Vegas vs going through Amarillo and Raton. Even if you have to stop for an hour charge at a KOA (which you probably won't) , you will be faster driving through Clayton than going through Santa Rosa and Las Vegas.

In my dream world I'd add SCs in Clayton, Vernon, and Lubbock.

As far as traffic, and expected SC utilization, I'd say that Vernon would get used more than Lubbock. There is a lot more traffic between Amarillo-DFW than Sweetwater/Midland-Amarillo. The SC is a bridge between two points, and isn't designed to serve the locals.

Look at : Historical Traffic Counts - NCTCOG.org to see traffic counts

The SC isn't for the local people it's for folks in between destinations.