Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I-10 — Along the Gulf Coast — A Causeway Connecting the Island of Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is the updated table. Slidell, LA and Mobile, AL will make travel from TX to FL possible on Superchargers, but will still require hypermiling and/or L2 top ups. When Tallahassee, FL and something near Baytown, TX are in place, the I-10 route will be complete from San Antonio to Jacksonville!

SUPERCHARGERDESTINATIONMILESSTATION STATUSCOMMENT
Columbus, TXLake City, FL898 Causeway to fill as of Nov 17th - Detailed Google Map
Columbus, TXBaytown, TX93Complete Start
Baytown, TX Lake Charles, LA 122 Speculation Need something near here to fill gap between Columbus and Lake Charles. Nothing on Tesla Maps...
Lake Charles, LA Baton Rouge, LA 131 Complete Supercharger - Lake Charles, LA
Baton Rouge, LA Slidell, LA 87 Complete Supercharger - Baton Rouge, LA
Slidell, LA Mobile, AL 103 Speculation On the Tesla Map as "Opening Soon."
Mobile, AL DeFuniak Springs, FL 138 Pre-permit Reliable Source — NEXT UP: Supercharger Network in SOUTHEAST - I-85. On the Tesla Map as "Opening Soon."
DeFuniak Springs, FL Tallahassee, FL 121 Complete Supercharger - Defuniak Springs FL
Tallahassee, FL Lake City, FL 104 Speculation Icon on Tesla 2016 Map
Lake City, FL Complete Finish

The North Causeway is confirmed

It seems the Northern way out of TX is the first confirmed causeway (at least for a 60):
Denton, TX - Licensed
Ardmore, OK - In construction
Perry, OK - Licensed
Wichita, KS - Online
This seems to be tight enough that even a 60 can do it once all four are online.
Plus the New Mexico connection is popping up:
Weatherford, OK - In construction
Shamrock, TX - Online
Tucumcari, NM - Licensed
Still needs two more to get to Albuquerque on a 60.
The east causeway needs Mobile, AL online for an 85 to go through, and another SC between Baton Rouge and Mobile for a 60 to go through, plus another one around Talahassee,FL for direct FL access.
Which causeway will be fully online first ?
Hopefully by summertime this will all be sorted out !

It seems the Northern way out of TX is the first confirmed causeway (at least for a 60):
Denton, TX - Licensed
Ardmore, OK - In construction
Perry, OK - Licensed
Wichita, KS - Online
This seems to be tight enough that even a 60 can do it once all four are online.
Plus the New Mexico connection is popping up:
Weatherford, OK - In construction
Shamrock, TX - Online
Tucumcari, NM - Licensed
Still needs two more to get to Albuquerque on a 60.
The east causeway needs Mobile, AL online for an 85 to go through, and another SC between Baton Rouge and Mobile for a 60 to go through, plus another one around Talahassee,FL for direct FL access.
Which causeway will be fully online first ?
Hopefully by summertime this will all be sorted out !

Regarding the East Escape Route, Mobile is permitting and Slidell is all but officially confirmed. Once those are online you will at least be able to turn north at Mobile and head to Atlanta and points beyond in a 60 or 85.

And it's back on the "coming soon" map...

But that thing is kind of screwy. It shows a supercharger in Alexandria, LA in 2015 but it disappears if you click 2016...

Both Slidell and Erie Pa disappeared for a few days from the map. When Slidell and Erie reappeared so did the completed Syracuse, NY icon which is now live.

I'm guessing Slidell does not have any online permits that we can search?

I do note that there are two icons between Columbus and Lake Charles on the 2015 map south of Houston. Could one of those be Baytown?

Yes. Or pretty close, it's on I-10 east of Houston.
The other one appears where I-69 "ends" (continues as TX 59, connects Columbus and Baytown to the other 2015 sites Victoria and Corpus Christi). Will be a big SpaceX corridor! :)

There is s new addition to Tesla's destination charging program in Orange Beach, Alabama. The location has not yet shown up on the Find Us page on the Tesla website. The Gulf restaurant in Orange Beach, Alabama now has at least 2 Tesla HPWC's and a third J1172 available. I called the restaurant directly and they verified that the chargers are indeed live. I hope to be able to post pictures soon. These charging stations are certainly a nice addition to the network.

Yes. Or pretty close, it's on I-10 east of Houston.
The other one appears where I-69 "ends" (continues as TX 59, connects Columbus and Baytown to the other 2015 sites Victoria and Corpus Christi). Will be a big SpaceX corridor! :)
That would be welcome news. I seem to recall talk of a supercharger in the Sugarland area. I'm not sure that mid Houston icon is anywhere near Baytown.

That would be welcome news. I seem to recall talk of a supercharger in the Sugarland area. I'm not sure that mid Houston icon is anywhere near Baytown.
Two different ones, both on the 2015 map now.
"Sugar Land" is out a notch farther than Sugar Land... on 59 about where it stops being I-69... could be Richmond, Rosenberg, Greatwood, or even Beasley (to really reduce the temptation to local-Supercharge).
The eastern one, I agree with you... is definitely on I-10, but it's further west than where the exact Columbus-Lake Charles midpoint would be in Baytown. Could be Northshore, Channelview, Cloverleaf... or Busch Gardens LOL!
I have gone out and checked about a third of the I-10 hotels between I-45 and TX146 for signs of trench prep, so far nothing!

Rick

Last edited:
With the Slidell supercharger being delayed (the supercharger team confirmed it will not likely open this summer), the Best Western La Place HPWCs on the west side of New Orleans will probably see a lot of summer I-10 traffic. They are for guests only as destination chargers typically are, and appropriately so. Has anyone stayed at that motel? Or does anyone have experience accessing a 120V outlet at any of the Slidell area hotels?