Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hypothetical: How long until wireless car charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@NeverFollow I agree, the advantage of wireless charging is it is more resistant to vandalism in public spaces. When the ice fleet goes ev maintaining the cables on the necessary public networks is going to be a nightmare. You will have people not putting the cables back, people running over the cables, vandalism, ect... With the Tesla charging port on the driver side this is going to be a nightmare in places where only parallel parking is available.

That said, I wonder how well the wireless charging pad will hold up to snow plows ;-)

They're thinking about installing demonstration projects in Illinois:

Illinois Tollway Considers Wireless EV Charging

But I'm in the never camp. The benefits don't justify the cost/investment. For the money it'll take to bury one section of charging in a lane, you could build dozens of Superchargers, or put level 2 charging at every space along a city block or two - each of which is more useful for the EV revolution and doesn't waste all the extra electricity.

This article says wireless charging will be ready 2024-2026. If wireless charging does get off the ground, does anybody have an idea of whether it will be possible/feasible to retrofit the “older” teslas so that they can accept wireless charging? If the effort involved is anything more than nominal, I guess I would just wait until it was time to buy a new car…

Easier than a plug: Wireless EV charging gets ready for prime time — Ars Technica

This article says wireless charging will be ready 2024-2026. If wireless charging does get off the ground, does anybody have an idea of whether it will be possible/feasible to retrofit the “older” teslas so that they can accept wireless charging? If the effort involved is anything more than nominal, I guess I would just wait until it was time to buy a new car…

Easier than a plug: Wireless EV charging gets ready for prime time — Ars Technica
There was some testing made for the Tesla Roadster where the wireless system
was plugged into the EV receptacle, so there was no changes made to the car.

fulton-innovations-2011-01-06-600-08.jpg fulton-innovations-2011-01-06-600-10.jpg

But in the case of Fast charging (Such as WiTricity 75 kWh, see above article) the wireless module
will need to be connected within the High Voltage harness of the car, which will require more work.

Also, having a camera under the car, or a special software allowing to display the correct alignment
between the two coils would certainly an other major implementation.

Last edited:
Really? It's in comment #2 in this thread.

This thread is largely from 2018, where as the article I have linked to is saying that a satisfactory standard for wireless charging didn’t start to get developed until 2019. Now they seem to have the standard in place, and I didn’t even know where the plugless people would fit with it. Their FAQ projects that in 2022 an installation of a car receiver and floor power transmitter would likely cost between $3,000 and $4,000. That gives me a ballpark idea, but what I really would like to know is how much would it cost to install just the receiver part, for the car.

Sorry if I came across as stupid and lazy to you, stud.

Last edited:
There was some testing made for the Tesla Roadster where the wireless system
was plugged into the EV receptacle, so there was no changes made to the car.

But in the case of Fast charging (Such as WiTricity 75 kWh, see above article) the wireless module
will need to be connected within the High Voltage harness of the car, which will require more work.

Also, having a camera under the car, or a special software allowing to display the correct alignment
between the two coils would certainly an other major implementation.

Thanks Watts_Up. I really agreed with this statement from the first article you linked to:

“This form of charging is 80 percent efficient, but the company estimates that with a more integrated system (mainly deleting the converter) they could get to 89 percent efficiency. The wired charger? It clocks in at 96 percent efficiency, meaning for any given voltage the charging time would only be about 7 seven percent slower going wireless -- a potentially small price to pay for the ability to turn an entire parking lot into a charging station without having to worry about wires or vandalism or semi-inadvertent electrocution of curious people who decide to see what happens when terminals get licked.”

So yeah, wireless charging in public places might turn out to be more useful than wireless charging at home…

Reactions: Watts_Up
This thread is largely from 2018, where as the article I have linked to is saying that a satisfactory standard for wireless charging didn’t start to get developed until 2019. Now they seem to have the standard in place, and I didn’t even know where the plugless people would fit with it. Their FAQ projects that in 2022 an installation of a car receiver and floor power transmitter would likely cost between $3,000 and $4,000. That gives me a ballpark idea, but what I really would like to know is how much would it cost to install just the receiver part, for the car.

Sorry if I came across as stupid and lazy to you, stud.
You literally asked if it would be possible to put this on older Model S cars, and that is literally what Plugless Power has been selling and installing for several years and was mentioned as the first response in this thread.

So I just wondered why you hadn't read the previous answers in this thread where you posted the question. Sorry if that was unkind.

You literally asked if it would be possible to put this on older Model S cars, and that is literally what Plugless Power has been selling and installing for several years and was mentioned as the first response in this thread.

So I just wondered why you hadn't read the previous answers in this thread where you posted the question. Sorry if that was unkind.
Well actually I read each response in the thread but I did not follow the 3-year old link that was only explained as follows: ”I've seen these people at events... “ The plugless website has a number of references to what plugless plans to do in 2022, which again, seems dated to me right now in September 2022, and thereby casts everything else I read on that site into a bit of doubt. If I could find some mention of the new standards and an indication that Plugless is on top of those, I might feel dumber for not having followed the link.

I don’t really have any idea if some public machine built by another company would be compatible with a power receiver built by Plugless. And as well, I have no idea what the breakdown in cost might be, between the power receiver installed in the car, and the power transmitter, which on their website, they are “predicting” will together cost between $3,000 and $4,000 in 2022.

Another thing that I find confusing comes from the article Watts_Up posted, because it shows a jerry-rigged Tesla setup that allows the car to receive wireless charge. Part of it consists of some kind of a gizmo hanging out of the charging port.
9C15EE3B-545A-4689-ABDC-4D7B04FA1CEE.jpeg

The thing that confuses me is that this article makes no mention of Plugless, even though Plugless would likely have a much more advanced (and elegant) power transmission setup. Perhaps there is no mention of Plugless because plugless is offering much lower transmission speeds?