Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hydrogen powered cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t really follow hydrogen fuel cell cars having decided BEVs are the way to go but saw this article in CNet back on 9/6/19 about the plight San Francisco Bay area owners of hydrogen fuel cell cars like those of the Toyota Mirai and Honda Clarity were having. Back in June there was an explosion at the Santa Clara hydrogen plant of Air Products. As of beginning of September sounded like they still weren’t up and running causing a hydrogen fuel shortage for owners, many unable to drive them as a result. Haven’t seen any further news stories. Any Bay Area owners have an update on the situation?

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/hydrogen-fuel-cell-car-california-explosion/

• Funny
Reactions: Brando
I was surprised to see a Funny rating to my post (#61 above with article) about the explosion at the Santa Clara Air Products plant and effective shut down of a hydrogen fuel source for fuel cell cars here in the SF Bay area. Sometimes you scratch your head wondering what the person was relating to in your post.

For the owners of these cars to go without a reliable source of fuel for months (beginning of June for at least 3 months and maybe longer) is no laughing matter. As the article pointed out people were making payments for cars they really couldn't drive and it sounded like a dealership took back/traded in cars for something else in some circumstances. I know this is the risk of going with a new technology that doesn't have widespread acceptance. With a source plant explosion it's not like you're just taking out one "gas" station but affecting a wide delivery area instead. I do applaud the dealerships (or manufacturers) for working with owners but sure it's been a nightmare for them.

As to the other linked thread, I was able to see 3 related posts to this situation, but after reading pages and pages of posts since May 31, I don't think it was a topic discussed since. And as @Electroman stated above the linked to thread really is focused on more technical battery aspects, not the predicament some hydrogen car owners are faced with. I'd still be interested to hear from some of those bay area owners if they are reading the threads here.

For the owners of these cars to go without a reliable source of fuel for months (beginning of June for at least 3 months and maybe longer) is no laughing matter.

Yes it is funny.

Applying some very basic common sense should have told these owners that buying a Fool cell car is a fool's errand. Especially when perfectly reasonable alternatives exists in CA in the form of BEVs. Most likely they were naive, or they simply were suckered in by the "H2 is the next big thing to sliced bread and EVs take 8 hours to charge" nonsense that many in the main stream media were spouting.

Fools deserve what they get.

• Funny
Reactions: Brando and nwdiver