Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since P = I^2 * R, others have pointed out you can cut heating in half by reducing the current by sqrt(2). So 56A is half the heat of 80A, and still exercises/tests both chargers (in my older dual charger car).

That's the same charging strategy I use on our 100A circuit / 80A max 1st generation HPWC. I charge our 2015 P85D with dual chargers at 60A since this charge rate generates much less heat in the HPWC plug & Tesla connector than charging at 80A. This 60A charge rate still provides plenty of time to charge during our SCE Super Off-Peak charge window (10:00 PM to 8:00 AM) since the 60A charge rate charges at ~ 40 rated mph x 10 hours Super Off-Peak = 400 rated miles... WAY more than even a 100% recharge would require for our P85D (253 miles) or any of the 100D Teslas with dual chargers.

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman
The new charger is installed, new copper #3 run, and everything looking good. I plan to dial down my charging rate on both vehicles, unless it's needed.

This thread is a great example of TMC at its best. Helpful responses, technical discussion and debate, and a resolution inspired by the contributions. Thanks again to everyone.