Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One Year in....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On 1st March 2023 I proudly took delivery of my MY, with 14 miles and 39% battery. One year later it has covered 15,760 miles at an average of 224Wh/mi

During that time the only issues I can recall have been:
  1. Picked up a slow puncture which required a new tyre after only 6 months.
  2. Returned to car one night to find that the screen had frozen - after a second or two of panic, I remembered the two button reset so gave that a go and it was fine.
  3. Driving through Manchester a week ago the Sat-Nav threw a total strop and meltdown and had me positioned off the road, along the canals, and going through buildings - It just seemed to be completely clueless. Thankfully it sorted itself out after 30 mins with no other intervention.

After a year with the MY I have spent £772.19 on home charging, an average of £64.35 a month (compared to my previous car using about £2100 of diesel annually). In addition to this I have used a Tesla supercharger three times and one other rapid charger once, so probably another £60 or so on public charging.

Overall, it's been a brilliant car and one that I've been proud of. I hope all the new '24 plate owners enjoy an equally rewarding year.

Photos taken on delivery day a year ago and a grubbier version of the same car this morning (while the sun was trying to show itself at 6.45am, before it decided to hammer with rain!)....
20230302_130937.jpg
20240301_065159.jpg

congrats!

you home charging looks rather expensive (800 for electricity compared to 2100 for diesel) - which is just less than 3 x difference.

my M3 cost per mile is ~3p now. diesel should be 15p per mile (on 45 mpg car) so - 5 times dearer

are you on some wrong tariff or what?

On 1st March 2023 I proudly took delivery of my MY, with 14 miles and 39% battery. One year later it has covered 15,760 miles at an average of 224Wh/mi

2. Returned to car one night to find that the screen had frozen - after a second or two of panic, I remembered the two button reset so gave that a go and it was fine.
  3. Driving through Manchester a week ago the Sat-Nav threw a total strop and meltdown and had me positioned off the road, along the canals, and going through buildings - It just seemed to be completely clueless. Thankfully it sorted itself out after 30 mins with no other intervention.

After a year with the MY I have spent £772.19 on home charging, an average of £64.35 a month (compared to my previous car using about £2100 of diesel annually). In addition to this I have used a Tesla supercharger three times and one other rapid charger once, so probably another £60 or so on public charging.

Overall, it's been a brilliant car and one that I've been proud of. I hope all the new '24 plate owners enjoy an equally rewarding year.

Photos taken on delivery day a year ago and a grubbier version of the same car this morning (while the sun was trying to show itself at 6.45am, before it decided to hammer with rain!)....View attachment 1023572View attachment 1023573
between your story and Footer you provide some interesting information but it would be more useful if you told us what sort of Model Y it is.
I am going to assume a RWD since 224wh/m seems on the low side for an dual motor.

🤷‍♂️ My off peak rate is 15p per kw, which I know isn't as cheap as some have managed to bag, but as far as I can find, a cheaper off peak rate would result in a higher peak rate than i'm paying so it seems to cancel each other out in the bigger picture.

If my charging cost divided by my mileage is to be believed, then my cost per mile is 4.9pence. Whether that's good, bad or indifferent, I've saved £1300 on fuel in yr1 so i'm happy!

🤷‍♂️ My off peak rate is 15p per kw, which I know isn't as cheap as some have managed to bag, but as far as I can find, a cheaper off peak rate would result in a higher peak rate than i'm paying so it seems to cancel each other out in the bigger picture.

If my charging cost divided by my mileage is to be believed, then my cost per mile is 4.9pence. Whether that's good, bad or indifferent, I've saved £1300 on fuel in yr1 so i'm happy!
Whilst it’s not the cheapest peak/off peak deal, understandably, it has to work with powering your home at the best rate you can find.
It’s still a comfortable saving over diesel and that’s great.
If you’re happy, and you clearly are, that’s what counts 😁

My off peak rate is 15p per kw, which I know isn't as cheap as some have managed to bag, but as far as I can find, a cheaper off peak rate would result in a higher peak rate than i'm paying so it seems to cancel each other out in the bigger picture.
From experience and assuming electricity prices remain high, my honest opinion is that the way forward is to install a house battery. Correctly sized, it will pretty much remove your use of peak rate electricity by charging it on off-peak overnight. Your circumstances right now may not permit it but it will be a good move when the time is right. I know they generally go hand in hand with solar panels but panels alone for working families don’t help much if you’re not there to use the power generated. Your home may not be suited to sufficient panels to be useful.

I’ve had panels for 9 years but only added one battery 5 years ago followed by a second, 4 years ago. Adding batteries means that out of 9000kWh used annually, only 60kWh are at peak rate, much of that is batteries balancing against the grid. My tariff is about 40p/kWh for peak rate and 7.5p off-peak. My panels provide about 8MW p.a. and grid about 2MW. I export 1MW. Whilst the bonus is of course free power, it’s the batteries that take out the need for peak rate power. It may work differently for others of course!

Right now, it’s early days and maybe times will change. Many people with house batteries are filling them overnight at cheap rate and not using peak rate. Is that sustainable for power companies? Who knows!

Have you looked at OVO anytime? 7p for charging the car and Peak is the standard rate.

Have you looked at OVO anytime? 7p for charging the car and Peak is the standard rate.
We have gone a bit off topic here ( but whats new :) )
I am on intelligent and despite not really doing that many miles maybe 10K a year I find that I can easily shift 45%+ of my usage into the night rate. Washing machine , tumble drier, dehumidifier ( for drying laundry) dishwasher, (not yet convinced the family that midnight is a good time to eat dinner but still working on it).
Point I am making is that for the rates where you only get cheap rate for charging not ALL usage I think you are missing out and the increased day rate does not change the calculation as much as people think.
Last month I was 424kwh night and 318kwh day i.e. 57% night so about 17p/kwh average

Not everyone has the same usage pattern so there will be people like me who are better off with lower charging rate.
Currently only about 25% of our monthly electricity is used on charging the car, I've always assumed that overnight rates wouldn't benefit me as majority is daytime usage, but it seems like this OVO anytime would be an improvement on standard variable. I'll look in to that, thanks.

Reactions: init6
Currently only about 25% of our monthly electricity is used on charging the car, I've always assumed that overnight rates wouldn't benefit me as majority is daytime usage, but it seems like this OVO anytime would be an improvement on standard variable. I'll look in to that, thanks.
25% is surely enough for Octopus to make sense?
I am not sure what the price cap is right now but my Octopus intelligent rates are 29.9p/7.5p. if I was using 25% at night then the average rate would be 24.3p. are there flat rates better than that?
in addition most people have a background usage of between 250-500 wh. so that is 1.5-3kwh that also ends up on the cheap rate without you doing anything at all.
If you run a dishwasher daily and schedule it to start at 23:30 then that is 1-2kwh's
My wife does at least one load of washing a day so often the washing machine and or tumble drier is also run over night which is another 1-3kwh

and before you know it you are averaging under 20p

Edit: referral codes are available 😁

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: GT_M3
congrats!

you home charging looks rather expensive (800 for electricity compared to 2100 for diesel) - which is just less than 3 x difference.

my M3 cost per mile is ~3p now. diesel should be 15p per mile (on 45 mpg car) so - 5 times dearer

are you on some wrong tariff or what?
With my electric rate mine only costs a little over 0.01 cent per mile, or $1 per 70 miles, that’s if I’m diligent about charging only during off peak hrs though

I messed up a few times last month and charged during peak

Photos taken on delivery day a year ago and a grubbier version of the same car this morning (while the sun was trying to show itself at 6.45am, before it decided to hammer with rain!)....View attachment 1023572View attachment 1023573
What did you put on the alloys? Some cover or changed the alloys? It looks marvellous!

What did you put on the alloys? Some cover or changed the alloys? It looks marvellous!
They are wheel covers that come the whole wheel including the rim. They are pretty common.

e.g.

Reactions: TheShepherds