Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Repurchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Tesla bought back my Model Y back after 17 service appointments in the first two years. Mostly QC issues, however, the final straw was the HV battery shorting out and requiring entire replacement.

After one week of negotiating repurchase price and then an additional two weeks waiting for Tesla to get the paperwork together, I surrendered the vehicle seven days ago and have all of the signed documents, DMV paperwork, etc. My question is - none of these state any timeline requirements for paying off the remainder of the loan and cutting me a check for the remaining repurchase price - just that they will. How long can I expect this to take and if they fail to do this in said reasonable amount of time, who is now my point of contact? I was dealing with the Service Manager, but now this is in the hands of a Team above them. Note - the vehicle was not financed through Tesla.

Appreciate any insight from those who have been through this painfully slow process.

Thank you!

Hello,

Tesla bought back my Model Y back after 17 service appointments in the first two years. Mostly QC issues, however, the final straw was the HV battery shorting out and requiring entire replacement.

After one week of negotiating repurchase price and then an additional two weeks waiting for Tesla to get the paperwork together, I surrendered the vehicle seven days ago and have all of the signed documents, DMV paperwork, etc. My question is - none of these state any timeline requirements for paying off the remainder of the loan and cutting me a check for the remaining repurchase price - just that they will. How long can I expect this to take and if they fail to do this in said reasonable amount of time, who is now my point of contact? I was dealing with the Service Manager, but now this is in the hands of a Team above them. Note - the vehicle was not financed through Tesla.

Appreciate any insight from those who have been through this painfully slow process.

Thank you!
You’ll get your check right after the windshield wipers and FSD are fixed.

Congratulations, assume you used California’s Lemon Law to force a buyback? Were lawyers involved of did you do this on your own?

You’ll get your check right after the windshield wipers and FSD are fixed.

Congratulations, assume you used California’s Lemon Law to force a buyback? Were lawyers involved of did you do this on your own?
Hah! Koolaid jokes. No lawyers involved (yet). I'll give them a few weeks to follow through on what they agreed to do. Unfortunately, not my first rodeo with CA LL. This would have been a very easy case, but by Tesla agreeing to a repurchase we were able to circumvent that whole process.

How the wipers haven't been recalled or evolved into a class action yet is beyond me. It was suggested that I just actuate them manually with the button each time I needed them. Don't even get me started on FSD. EVERY other car manufacturer can figure out auto wipers.. "Transitioning to neural nets, vision, beta.. just drink the koolaid already!"

The auto wiper function is not working on my $80k car. "So why does this really bother you?" - Actual quote from TSC.

I'll get off my soapbox. Thank you for the laugh.

Also, love your pic. I'm in a similar club.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: fholbert
Hello,

Thank you!
How did Tesla arrive at their repurchase price?
I’m at the beginning of this process. They agreed to buy it back since it’s been to service 6 times in about 6 months.

Reactions: Happy Hippo