Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to tell if lifetime supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an order in for a new M3, but have been watching sales of used Teslas.

I noticed some sellers advertise that the car comes with lifetime supercharging, others do not. I understand that the lifetime supercharging program ended around 2017, but is there a way to tell if a private purchase of an older MS would have the benefit still attached to the car and is transferable?

I have an order in for a new M3, but have been watching sales of used Teslas.

I noticed some sellers advertise that the car comes with lifetime supercharging, others do not. I understand that the lifetime supercharging program ended around 2017, but is there a way to tell if a private purchase of an older MS would have the benefit still attached to the car and is transferable?

I would say the safe bet is to have it documented in the Motor vehicle Purchase Agreement. If it's absent in legal documentation, there's no guarantee because it could be a policy, promise, promotion, courtesy... that is not legally binding.

upload_2020-9-29_15-19-22-png.593555

Reactions: 2101Guy
I would say the safe bet is to have it documented in the Motor vehicle Purchase Agreement. If it's absent in legal documentation, there's no guarantee because it could be a policy, promise, promotion, courtesy... that is not legally binding.

upload_2020-9-29_15-19-22-png.593555

The problem is that even if it says "Free Unlimited Supercharging" it doesn't indicate if it's transferable to the next owner. I have a 2016 Model X and that one is transferable, however my 2017 Model S is not. I know that becuase I have scree shots of My Tesla screen from years ago that indicate as such, but no where does Tesla list this that I'm aware of now.

This has been asked a bajillion times - including by me. Here are the questions / criteria I developed when I was looking, after googling the sh!z out of this issue (which you should also do - the info below is free and worth exactly what you pay for it)

- Was the car ordered before 1/15/2017 and delivered before 4/15/2017? (source) Note: After that point any FUSC will be limited to the original owner.
- Has the car not been through Tesla’s hands since July 2019? This means not having been sold used by Tesla, auctioned or otherwise disposed of by Tesla, or sold by a third party dealer. (source 1 source 2) - Be careful here, there are cars on dealer lots that display ‘no recent supercharging’ but you’re on borrowed time; Tesla may remove the FUSC in a future ‘audit’ and there’s very little you can do about it
- Does the car include ‘SC01’ in its option string? (source)
- Is this a private sale, car registered to the seller in their Tesla account?

As above, though, none of these are authoritative. Tesla can and will do whatever they please, and unless you have ‘transferable FUSC’ in writing you’re SOL if they decide to take it away. (And no, I’m not defending them - that one’s been done to death on other threads).

There’s also the question of ‘No recent supercharging’ on the ‘Charging’ screen. BUT this applies equally to cars with other kinds of time-limited, kWh-limited or owner-limited free supercharging which have codes other than the coveted SC01.

My own S is a 2015 85D so produced well before the 2017 cutoff. It was sold by Tesla to the second owner in May 2019, so also before they started removing FUSC from their used inventory (as an aside - they have added FUSC back on occasion but it will not be transferable). The owner transferred the car directly to me via his Tesla account, the transfer was quick and seamless and my account has shown ‘Free Unlimited Supercharging’ since day 1.

That said: do the math and decide if it’s really worth it ... for me it was a ‘nice to have’ but not a ‘must have’. It’ll save be a bit of $$$ on road trips but, at the reduced supercharging speeds of my battery, I doubt I’ll use it all that much. I suspect I’ll upgrade in a year or two to a car with faster supercharging speeds, and at that point I’ll likely need to pay for my supercharging (unless I can find a P100DL with FUSC ...) - but that’s a while down the track.

The problem is that even if it says "Free Unlimited Supercharging" it doesn't indicate if it's transferable to the next owner. I have a 2016 Model X and that one is transferable, however my 2017 Model S is not. I know that becuase I have scree shots of My Tesla screen from years ago that indicate as such, but no where does Tesla list this that I'm aware of now.

The Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement is legally binding so it doesn't matter which owners are, those items were paid and must not be unilaterally removed by Tesla without the current used owner's consent.

If it lists a full-size 5th tire as a spare included, it cannot go to a current used owner and wants the tire back (even just because a Tesla worker made a mistake and failed to realize that Tesla doesn't supply a spare tire).

If it lists 7 seat interior, it cannot go to a current used owner and wants the last row back to reduce the seating number to 5.

If it lists 22" Turbine Wheels, it cannot go to a current used owner and switch out to the standard 20" wheels....

The Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement is legally binding so it doesn't matter which owners are, those items were paid and must not be unilaterally removed by Tesla without the current used owner's consent.

If it lists a full-size 5th tire as a spare included, it cannot go to a current used owner and wants the tire back (even just because a Tesla worker made a mistake and failed to realize that Tesla doesn't supply a spare tire).

If it lists 7 seat interior, it cannot go to a current used owner and wants the last row back to reduce the seating number to 5.

If it lists 22" Turbine Wheels, it cannot go to a current used owner and switch out to the standard 20" wheels....

Yes, we know what a VPA is, however please see the image above. All it says is Free Unlimited Supercharging, but the T&C for FUSC are NOT part of the VPA, so you have no idea if it's transferable or NOT (in my case, one Tesla is transferable, and the other, even though both VPA state Free Unlimited Supercharging.

Yes, we know what a VPA is, however please see the image above. All it says is Free Unlimited Supercharging, but the T&C for FUSC are NOT part of the VPA, so you have no idea if it's transferable or NOT (in my case, one Tesla is transferable, and the other, even though both VPA state Free Unlimited Supercharging.

Would you please clarify: I understood that one of your Teslas is transferrable but what about the other?

Although the other also has Free Unlimited Supercharging on VPA, do you mean it transfers or not or unknown?

Would you please clarify: I understood that one of your Teslas is transferrable but what about the other?

Although the other also has Free Unlimited Supercharging on VPA, do you mean it transfers or not or unknown?
I have two Tesla (both have FSD Software, HW3 and MCU/2 Infotainment Ugrade Package (without the radio option retrofit)).

2016 Model X - Free Unlimited Supercharging and it IS transferable to the next owner when I choose to sell it to a new owner.
2017 Model S - Free Unlimited Supercharging and is it NOT transferable. Once I sell it, it will be removed by Tesla when the vehicle has been transferred to the new owner in the Tesla system.

These were disclosed on the web site when I placed my order for both vehicle. Both VPA shows "Free Unlimited Supercharging".

Note: If I were to choose to sell/trade-in the Mode X to Tesla, and they take ownership of the vehicle, they will remove Enhanced Autopilot, FSD Software and Free Unlimited Supercharging before selling it again to the next party/person (as we've seen and well documented on TMC and other Tesla User Forums).

I was not aware that there may be an option code difference between the two Tesla (as linked in one of the above replies). I will be checking my option codes to confirm this where possible.

Good News. The methods above to get my option code didn't work, but I did grab them and decode them using other methods.

Looks like it's confirmed by way of my option code.

My 2016 Model X Option Code for "Free Unlimited Super Charging" looks like this

Screen Shot 2021-04-19 at 7.17.34 PM.png

My 2017 Model S Option Code for "Free Unlimited Super Charging" look like this.
Screen Shot 2021-04-19 at 7.13.17 PM.png

Good News. The methods above to get my option code didn't work, but I did grab them and decode them using other methods.

Looks like it's confirmed by way of my option code.

My 2016 Model X Option Code for "Free Unlimited Super Charging" looks like this

View attachment 655258

My 2017 Model S Option Code for "Free Unlimited Super Charging" look like this.
View attachment 655259
Interesting, thanks! My Model S 100D (MFD 03/2017, Registration in Switzerland 06/2017) has the code SC04 and is also "Fee unlimited Supercharging (1st owner)...

Would be interesting to know if there are SC01, SC02 and SC03 and what that means.

Interesting, thanks! My Model S 100D (MFD 03/2017, Registration in Switzerland 06/2017) has the code SC04 and is also "Fee unlimited Supercharging (1st owner)...

Would be interesting to know if there are SC01, SC02 and SC03 and what that means.

so what we know is this. Would be great to get the other two (SC02 and SC03). I have to assume that one of them will be "Euro - Free Unlimited Supercharging - Transferaable".

SC01 - NA - Free Unlimited Supercharging - Transferable
SC02 - ???
SC03 - ???
SC04 - Euro - Free Unlimited Supercharging - 1st Owner
SC05 - NA- Free Unlimited Supercharging - 1st Owner

• Informative
Reactions: All In
Interesting, I’d seen the following:

SC00 - No supercharging
SC01 - FUSC transferable
SC02 - ???
SC03 - ???
SC04 - Pay per use supercharging
SC05 - FUSC first owner
SC06 - FUSC time-limited

Not sure what the authoritative source is, though

where do you fine the codes?

(1) Log into your Tesla Account.
(2) I use Safari on Mac, so I bring up "Inspect element Screen" by right clicking on the web page and selecting it from the menu
(3) When in your Tesla Account, go to see the details of your Tesla by clicking on Manage. You must wait until it fully loads
(4) On the Inspector Screen in Safari, click on Source
(5) On the right side expand XHR and look for the Vehicle Details and click on it
(6) You will see a bunch of Key Value Pairs on the right side. One of the first few will be called Image followed by most of the option code for your Tesla.

Look for the SC## where the ## are a two digit number. That's where you will find what supercharging feature set you have with your Tesla.

Or if you're familiar with CURL, here is the direct URL (authentication may be required prior to running this XHR file). Make sure to replace the [place_RN#_here] with your RN number that you were originally assigned during ordering.

https://www.tesla.com/teslaaccount/ownership-api/vehicle-details?rn=[place_RN#_here]&locale=en_US

• Informative
Reactions: drklain and JimmyB
I have a 2015 P85D with transferrable FUSC. I'm the original owner. Nowhere does it say I have it. The purchase agreement just says "supercharging cable". My account used to say FUSC transferrable but no longer does. I asked Tesla and they responded in email telling me that it is IS FUSC and transferrable but that's the only documentation I have that says it.

• Informative
Reactions: JimmyB
You can also go to your ‘My Tesla’ page and right click to get the URL of the picture - the codes are there, too.

That worked for me:

BP00,ADPX2,GLFR,AU01,DA02,APH1,APD1,X028,BT85,P85D,BS00,BC0R,CH01,CW00,COUS,IDHG,X027,DRLH,AF00,FG02,X007,X011,PI00,IX00,X001,LP00,LT1T,X037,MDLS,DV4W,X024,X003,ZCST,PMNG,PA00,PS01,PK00,X031,PX00,PF01,TM00,BR05,RENA,RFPO,USSB,X01325T,ME02,QNLT,SR01,SP00,X021,SC01,SU02,TP02,TR00,TIMP,WTX1,DSH7,MT85P,UTAB,WT19,WR00,YF00,CPF1

Reactions: thecloud and zanary
FYI my experience with this on my 2017 MS.
Original owner had 'SC05 - FUSC first owner', it took Tesla about 9 months to change it to 'SC04 - Pay per use supercharging' once the ownership changeover to me happened. I have no idea why it took so long....surely this isn't done manually by someone?