Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to setup Tesla app for free nights in Texas and suggestions of plans.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been an Amigo customer for 13 years and they have been great. Their Empower Plan with no TDU or Base Fee has worked out great for me with its fixed rate of 12.2c/kwh (when I started it used to be 7c!). Depending on your use, it actually beats out some of the Free Night plans out there. Even with the M3 charging every night 15-30kw it's only $7 more than Free Nights right now for me. You have to ask about the Empower Plan when you call because it's not on their website.

Solar changes that equation a bit and when it's installed I will probably switch. My system will be quite small though so having second doubts about it, especially since Tesla wants me to go with 2 PW's to have full home backup. *Sigh*
yes solar changes everything as with solar and 2x powerwalls i can run the home during the day using no grid and at night do the free nights to run the home from the grid. at same time having some of the solar that is going back to the grid be bought by the provider is good too to pad the bill incase you have to pull from grid during day. I am not a fan of giving back to the grid free energy. we are technically a power plant attached to the grid. We should be paid something for it.

Reactions: niveknow
I have free nights via Amigo’s 9pm-7am plan. I set up a custom plan in the app with the daytime pricing and $0 during the off peak free time. Everything automatically happens after that. Powerwalls cut off at 9:00pm sharp and then come back on at 7:00am or earlier. My power bill has been effectively $0 using this strategy.
How did you set up the free nights? In my custom plan I have to enter at least $0.01 for the off-peak cost. It won't allow $0.00. It's only a penny, but it's data dirt that affects my numbers over time. I haven't tried yet, but it could impact my system's decisions on when to use the batteries in time-based mode.

Reactions: niveknow
How did you set up the free nights? In my custom plan I have to enter at least $0.01 for the off-peak cost. It won't allow $0.00. It's only a penny, but it's data dirt that affects my numbers over time. I haven't tried yet, but it could impact my system's decisions on when to use the batteries in time-based mode.
The app accepted zero $ pricing for me? There is no price listed in my off peak period for my custom plan.

Didn't accept zeros for me either. had to do 0.01

On latest app version and the best I can do is below. Will give me an error and force a non zero number before it allows me to continue. 0.01 is not significant if used to calculate a projected cost, but does lend to data inaccuracy. I just hope the 0.01 doesn't change the algorithm enough to impact how it best uses the Free Nights.

41F519A3-87B7-450C-98CC-B239058B05F6.png

BTW. Does anyone know how to disable export? Under the free nights and low daytime consumption right now thus exporting a significant amount. I'm not expecting any $ from it because i don't have a export plan. Fine with it as a donation to the grid, but at the same time I don't want any extra attention to any grid provider's reporting that I have solar. This may kill our free nights plan in the future as they see a pattern of homes with solar on these plans.

I just switched to a truly free nights plan and was trying to set my Tesla app to show 0.00 for nights. I was having the same problem as everyone else on my iPhone but figured out a workaround that may help others if they have access to an Android phone.

I sideloaded an old version of the Tesla app on the android phone from APKmirror. Logged into the old app set the plan to 0.00 successfully and it now reflects as 0 on my iPhone on the latest version.

I do kick my pool equipment on during high peak days to increase load whereas it usually runs only at nights now, but that's a very manual effort. I wish there was a set-it-and-forget-it option for us through the electricity plan configuration instead of involving manual intervention.

I ended up calling Tesla and there's some "restriction" on my account that they need to remove before that option is available to me. They said backlog with work, so could take up to 2 weeks for that option to be available. A bit odd explanation, but what do I know. Will stand by for now unless someone has a plan configuration level recommendation to disallow export. Thanks!

1. I have JustEnergy Free nights. I set the off peak buy pricing to .04 even though it is actually free so that my powerwall charges more with my generated solar. Did I do this correctly?
2. Can I charge my Powerwall for free at night (grid charging)? I do have the option but it is currently set to No. is there any tax implications as My install was last month?

Attachments

• 38CB6230-CEFC-44E0-A472-D484B197CF02.png
    38CB6230-CEFC-44E0-A472-D484B197CF02.png
    200.3 KB · Views: 34
I have free nights via Amigo’s 9pm-7am plan. I set up a custom plan in the app with the daytime pricing and $0 during the off peak free time. Everything automatically happens after that. Powerwalls cut off at 9:00pm sharp and then come back on at 7:00am or earlier. My power bill has been effectively $0 using this strategy.

Hi all!
I have a 14.3 kw system and 1 pw2.
I am about to switch to free nights.
I was thinking of going with amigo as well, but they have pretty bad customer ratings. How long have you have been with them with your free nights plan? Any issues? With barely any usage and just the $4.95/month, any minimal usage fees?
I read their app is pretty buggy and has no usage information

Did anyone try direct energy? They have free nights from 9p to 9a and free 2 years of amazon prime. But $9.95 base charge.
Their app seems as solid as reliant.

I had Amigo for a year. No complaints, although I am but one data point.
Thanks.
Can you share what line items you see on your bill, please?
the ETL which I attached shows the below:
Energy charge: 21.4c Kwh. Includes all supply and TDSP delivery charges
The base charge of $4.95
But no mention of the $3.42 monthly delivery fee I have from ONCOR. (the Day time delivery is 3.5899 cents/kwh is included in the 21.4 cents energy charge)

Thanks!

Attachments

• Amigo EFL_Energy Fixed_English_Residential_20230410122311.pdf
    147.1 KB · Views: 47
Not sure about the ONCOR service area, but I would pick a plan that goes "free" at 8pm. Reliant has a plan that goes 8-6 which so far has been awesome for me. My monthly electric bill has been basically the connection charge over the past 5 months. This is with 2 PWs and an EV both charging at nights for free. Summer is around the corner so we'll see how all this holds up, but I can get through the entire day so far even through the stormy and very low production days lately where I'm producing less than 10 kWh for the day.. That's why the 8pm is important to charge the PWs up at the earliest opportunity.

Hi all!
I have a 14.3 kw system and 1 pw2.
I am about to switch to free nights.
I was thinking of going with amigo as well, but they have pretty bad customer ratings. How long have you have been with them with your free nights plan? Any issues? With barely any usage and just the $4.95/month, any minimal usage fees?
I read their app is pretty buggy and has no usage information

Did anyone try direct energy? They have free nights from 9p to 9a and free 2 years of amazon prime. But $9.95 base charge.
Their app seems as solid as reliant.