Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to gracefully disengage FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if this is a simple question and has been answered before. Searching didn't turn up a simple answer. I recently subscribed to FSD for a month and did a 2400 mile road trip with. I found it very valuable for many hours of driving per day, but untrustworthy in town or around traffic. During that time, I could not find a way to turn off FSD without generating an a warning indicating that I had done something wrong. If i took control of the car manually, I'd get the (paraphrased) "What Happened? Please report this to Tesla" error message. If I pushed up on the gear selector, same alert. I tried ending the trip in the nav, but that didn't turn off FSD. My son found this hilarious, I found it slightly annoying. So, what is the right way to end a FSD session without the car producing this warning/nag?

TIA

Apologies if this is a simple question and has been answered before. Searching didn't turn up a simple answer. I recently subscribed to FSD for a month and did a 2400 mile road trip with. I found it very valuable for many hours of driving per day, but untrustworthy in town or around traffic. During that time, I could not find a way to turn off FSD without generating an a warning indicating that I had done something wrong. If i took control of the car manually, I'd get the (paraphrased) "What Happened? Please report this to Tesla" error message. If I pushed up on the gear selector, same alert. I tried ending the trip in the nav, but that didn't turn off FSD. My son found this hilarious, I found it slightly annoying. So, what is the right way to end a FSD session without the car producing this warning/nag?

TIA

The car will always give you that warning about a disengagement. It is standard now. It is designed to give you an opportunity to report an issue if FSD did something bad so that Tesla can pull a video clip to train the NN to make FSD better. It does not mean that you did anything wrong.

My suggestion is to either tap the brake or push up the gear selector. Both will disengage FSD. And ignore the warning unless you want to give Tesla a voice note about FSD doing something bad to help them improve FSD.

The car will always give you that warning about a disengagement. It is standard now. It is designed to give you an opportunity to report an issue if FSD did something bad so that Tesla can pull a video clip to train the NN to make FSD better. It does not mean that you did anything wrong.

My suggestion is to either tap the brake or push up the gear selector. Both will disengage FSD. And ignore the warning unless you want to give Tesla a voice note about FSD doing something bad to help them improve FSD.
I appreciate the response. If this message is expected, then I find it misleading. It is asking why it disengaged, but in the situations i described, it already knows the answer: I turned it off on purpose via the lever or I took control of the vehicle. I would expect this message if the system disengaged unexpectedly.

Reactions: navguy12 and mspohr
I appreciate the response. If this message is expected, then I find it misleading. It is asking why it disengaged, but in the situations i described, it already knows the answer: I turned it off on purpose via the lever or I took control of the vehicle. I would expect this message if the system disengaged unexpectedly.

Yes Tesla knows that FSD disengaged because you pressed the lever but Tesla wants to know why YOU disengaged FSD, ie why did you take control? Tesla is interested if you disengaged FSD because FSD did something unsafe or bad so that they can improve FSD. The idea is to collect data on disengagements to reduce disengagements in the future. If you disengaged FSD for some other reason that has nothing to do with FSD, then you can ignore the message. But if you disengaged because FSD did something bad, then it is an opportunity for you to give some feedback on what FSD did that was bad.

Yes Tesla knows that FSD disengaged because you pressed the lever but Tesla wants to know why YOU disengaged FSD, ie why did you take control? Tesla is interested if you disengaged FSD because FSD did something unsafe or bad so that they can improve FSD. The idea is to collect data on disengagements to reduce disengagements in the future. If you disengaged FSD for some other reason that has nothing to do with FSD, then you can ignore the message. But if you disengaged because FSD did something bad, then it is an opportunity for you to give some feedback on what FSD did that was bad.
My answer is simple: because there is no way to disengage FSD gracefully. Not every disengagement is a valid reason to bother the operator with "what went wrong?". In many cases, nothing has gone wrong. This is a very small problem of course, so please don't think is very personally important to me. Its a forum and we dig into tiny things.

Reactions: mspohr
My answer is simple: because there is no way to disengage FSD gracefully. Not every disengagement is a valid reason to bother the operator with "what went wrong?". In many cases, nothing has gone wrong. This is a very small problem of course, so please don't think is very personally important to me. Its a forum and we dig into tiny things.
The AI is advancing, and soon will be able to read your mind and realize you disengaged for no reason and won't bother you. No way to disengage gracefully? Just put your foot over the accelerator and press the button on your yolk, or pull up on the stalk. Couldn't be any smoother.

Whether disengagements are graceful or not is subjective. Personally, I think the gentle brake tap or gentle pull on the gear stalk and the little ding sound is graceful. What I don't like is when FSD gives me the big "take over immediately" warning on the screen and loud warning sound suddenly out of the blue for no apparent reason. That is not graceful. But my voluntary disengagements are always very graceful IMO.

To your other point, Tesla has no way of knowing the reason for your disengagement unless you tell them. That is why they ask for feedback.

The AI is advancing, and soon will be able to read your mind and realize you disengaged for no reason and won't bother you. No way to disengage gracefully? Just put your foot over the accelerator and press the button on your yolk, or pull up on the stalk. Couldn't be any smoother.
Thanks. I have done that, but it still generated the "what went wrong" alert and sound. I see that question and sound as ungraceful. Others may find this appropriate and/or graceful. To be clear, my definition of gracefully exiting FSD is: an easy method to turn an FSD session off while driving and not result in the car asking me "what went wrong". It seems that this is not currently possible, but since this is a UX choice, Tesla could make a different choice in the future.

an easy method to turn an FSD session off while driving and not result in the car asking me "what went wrong".

In the past, Tesla did not have the automatic "what went wrong" message every time you disengaged. Instead, it used to be a button on the screen that you would tap to report a FSD issue. Tesla changed it to the automatic message and the voice command as a way of getting better feedback. Personally, I think tapping the button on the screen to provide feedback was unsafe because it required taking your eyes off the road to look at the screen. Being able to record a voice memo without taking your eyes off the road is a much better way to provide FSD feedback IMO.

Reactions: E90alex
Thanks. I have done that, but it still generated the "what went wrong" alert and sound. I see that question and sound as ungraceful. Others may find this appropriate and/or graceful. To be clear, my definition of gracefully exiting FSD is: an easy method to turn an FSD session off while driving and not result in the car asking me "what went wrong". It seems that this is not currently possible, but since this is a UX choice, Tesla could make a different choice in the future.
I think all you need is a way to turn off that message. It isn't needed, but serves as a reminder to the driver that Tesla would like to know if there was anything noteworthy about the current disengagement.

I think all you need is a way to turn off that message. It isn't needed, but serves as a reminder to the driver that Tesla would like to know if there was anything noteworthy about the current disengagement.
Maybe rather than asking "What went wrong?" it could just ask "Do you want to leave a comment?"
I've disengaged multiple times and never left a message. Some of these might have been worthy of a comment but I'm too busy driving to be distracted by leaving a message.
For instance, I disconnected yesterday when the pickup truck bozo in the next lane drifted into mine. FSD should have moved over but didn't.
Another time, FSD didn't move into the left turn lane but straddled it. I was too busy recovering control to leave a comment.
Also, the "What went wrong?" message goes away too quickly even if I wanted to leave a comment. It might be better to just have a way to recall these messages at a later time when it is safe to leave a comment.

To your other point, Tesla has no way of knowing the reason for your disengagement unless you tell them.
Except...
It used to be that you wouldn't get the "Why did you disengage?" message if you disengaged within a certain distance (500 feet or so?) of your destination. Now I find that I always get the message even if I've disengaged because I've reached my destination and FSD has come to a full stop.

Tesla should know that FSD has stopped because the destination was reached and shouldn't display the message in this case. I find this one instance quite annoying but I always leave a message like "Destination reached. FSD stopped moving." just in case Tesla is clueless.

I agree with OP, there needs to be a simple off switch for FSD/AP, like old school cruise control
Sure, forced disengagement (steering wheel/brake) needs to have sound and feedback option but if i decided to drive by myself, it should quietly turn off and not annoy the driver...
For feedback Tesla should add the option to the app AFTER you park. Like they do for Supercharging sessions. Much better option imho.

if i decided to drive by myself, it should quietly turn off and not annoy the driver...

The sound isn't for when you knowingly and intentionally disengage AP!

It's for the (rare) case somebody accidentally hits the wrong button on their yoke and (less likely) knocks the stalk unintentionally. There's not much feedback, other than the sound in those cases, and you don't want to risk the driver not realize they've disengaged.

Do you really want the system to just silently stop steering the car?

Reactions: E90alex and Dewg
Except...
It used to be that you wouldn't get the "Why did you disengage?" message if you disengaged within a certain distance (500 feet or so?) of your destination. Now I find that I always get the message even if I've disengaged because I've reached my destination and FSD has come to a full stop.

Tesla should know that FSD has stopped because the destination was reached and shouldn't display the message in this case. I find this one instance quite annoying but I always leave a message like "Destination reached. FSD stopped moving." just in case Tesla is clueless.
I do the same thing, leave a message that destination was reached. I understand why Tesla puts up the “what happened?” prompt by default and think that’s a reasonably good mode of operation. But it would be even smarter to have a different way of disengaging FSD when you have reached your destination, as it would clearly label those disengagements as not needing to be reviewed. In essence, fewer false positives for their system to look at.

Last edited:
The auto manufactures that don't have a sound when their version of AP disengages are the ones doing it wrong. Tesla is doing it the safe way by having the sound anytime it switches on or off. I can't believe anyone thinks not having a sound is a good idea.

As far as the popup goes, I don't even look down at it anymore....I know it will happen and I don't really care. I'm not wasting my time talking to my car and telling it that I disengaged because the map data is off by a few meters from my actual home address or I have to enter my underground carpark at work.

Reactions: gsmith123
The sound isn't for when you knowingly and intentionally disengage AP!

It's for the (rare) case somebody accidentally hits the wrong button on their yoke and (less likely) knocks the stalk unintentionally. There's not much feedback, other than the sound in those cases, and you don't want to risk the driver not realize they've disengaged.

Do you really want the system to just silently stop steering the car?
Sound is definitely NOT there to wake u up lol
Aren't u suppose to keep ur eyes on the road n hands on the steering wheel at ALL times ;)😅

and you don't want to risk the driver not realize they've disengaged.
Sorry but these kind of drivers shouldn't even be allowed to have any kind of Auto Pilot lol