Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to convince a wife that a tesla is a great addition to my garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree that this definitely needs to be a team decision.

My wife is not crazy about spending a huge amount of money on a car. However, she has agreed to let me purchase a Tesla (S or X, preferably with AWD) after we meet certain financial goals. In essence, we are being very conservative financially, and among other things, we have agreed that no debt whatsoever shall be incurred in any vehicle purchases. This will enable her to be as comfortable as possible when we do make the purchase.

By the way, I agree that "money is cheap" in terms of interest rates being low, but you still have to repay the principal...

You can also go the route of Safety...

http://www.teslamotors.com/about/pr...-safety-rating-all-categories-model-year-2014

NHTSA Reaffirms Model S 5-Star Safety Rating In All Categories For Model Year 2014

Monday, December 23, 2013

PALO ALTO, Calif. – The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has reaffirmed the 5-star safety rating of the Tesla Model S overall and in all subcategories for Model Year 2014, confirming the highest safety rating in America. While Tesla is awaiting feedback from NHTSA regarding their investigation of recent fire incidents, the German Federal Motor Transport Authority, Kraftfahrt-Bundesamt (KBA), recently concluded its review of the incidents, finding no manufacturer-related defects or need for further action.

It is worth noting that a Tesla vehicle is over five times less likely to experience a fire than the average gasoline car and that there have been zero serious injuries or deaths for any reason ever, fire or otherwise, in a Model S. Over the course of more than 100 million miles driven in almost every possible terrain, weather and crash conditions, the Tesla Model S has consistently protected its driver and passengers, achieving the best safety track record of any car on the road.

Or the original Press Release from August

http://www.teslamotors.com/about/pr...hieves-best-safety-rating-any-car-ever-tested

Tesla Model S Achieves Best Safety Rating of Any Car Ever Tested

Sets New NHTSA Vehicle Safety Score Record

Monday, August 19, 2013

I agree that this definitely needs to be a team decision.

My wife is not crazy about spending a huge amount of money on a car. However, she has agreed to let me purchase a Tesla (S or X, preferably with AWD) after we meet certain financial goals. In essence, we are being very conservative financially, and among other things, we have agreed that no debt whatsoever shall be incurred in any vehicle purchases. This will enable her to be as comfortable as possible when we do make the purchase.

By the way, I agree that "money is cheap" in terms of interest rates being low, but you still have to repay the principal...

For me, while the option is there to pay off the whole car from the stocks, to get my wife a hundred percent on board we are putting some of the money on the house and some of the money on a nice trip. Mainly it is so that for both her and me it doesn't feel like we are sending ALL the money we gained into a car. At least some of it is going into the house principal.

So that is 40k I will have to finance. Being a team means my debt is her debt, so that is the number we are both comfortable with and feel we can pay off within a few years. Though, she has made it apparent and I agree with her, that all this money could be going to the house or all this money could be going to our retirement. In the end, we felt that the Model S would make us happy over all without putting us in financial jeopardy and at the same time keep us financially ahead of the curb.

If the OP makes so much money, I would simply weigh your debt. My parents made 200k together, but were literally getting by each month on paying all their debt. 5 cars, huge house, and no extra money to show for it for investing in their future or their kids future. If you ask me, if you are going to live like that then don't get the car. But if you have ample money left over that you can pay the car off quickly and not be in a bind when you lose your employment, that would be in my opinion okay to do.

This got long, what I am trying to say is this is not a good financial future choice no matter how you cut it. It's an emotional choice and its a team effort choice. As long as you can safely financially afford it, its about the emotional aspect and the team work aspect that you have to get past. That is just something you can't get from a forum.

The Model S was way more money than we had ever spent on a car, too. It wasn't because we couldn't but because it just didn't seem worth it for any other car.

For all it's faults, Tesla is the only company seriously pursuing vehicle electrification and those who can support that should. It's not a hardship either as you only get to drive around the best car out there. Tell your wife how strongly you feel about this and she'll understand.

Also, remember, if economical is all that you're really concerned about you should be getting a Honda fit or something; make sure it's beige.

Maybe we're from a different generation. My wife and I have a pretty simple flowchart. Do we want it? Can we afford it? Then we buy it. My wife always knew I was getting the Model S. When I finally reserved it she asked what took me so long. I'm not a marriage counselor, or trying to butt in but why don't you just tell your wife you're getting a new car?

OK,

1) Show her the money with theTCO. It'll be more exoensive to run than the Volt, but not insane.
2) Point out that it has an exemplary safety record so far
3) Point out performance is better than cars she has driven
4) Mention the Model X
5) Make he clear the decision is hers but that she should take a test drive with you to make it informed.

PS 200k is 200k. Property may be high priced, and taxes may be high, but I'd bet it doesn't cost you $110k more. Your expensive house is an expensive pension fund, When you retire you move and sell your property and move somewhere cheaper. That's why coastal Maine is expensive. (I live inland and I do not have a Model S).

According to your first post you and your wife have two children.

Others have brought up environmental concerns – namely Man Made Climate Change/Ocean Acidification, but you haven’t mentioned if that is something that is a factor to you and your wife with regards to this potential Model S purchase…

So, is it?

Tell your wife that buying a Tesla is an investment in your children's, and your grandchildren's, future. Tell her that people like you who can afford it have a moral obligation to buy this car since there are so many selfish people in this world with money who will only buy an ICE vehicle and Tesla needs all the help and support it can get in order to change the world, one vehicle purchase at a time. That way she will look selfish if she refuses... ;)

As a woman that bought her own car, i LOVE your logic, Canuck. You Canadians!

Don’t know if this helps – but hey, why not?

This is from 2007, but unfortunately it seems to me it is still valid:

Oil Warrior: Former CIA chief James Woolsey says if you want to beat Bin Laden, buy a Prius

/…/

From the May 2007 issue of Motor Trend

/…/

Woolsey /…/ drives a Prius, and he says that if you live in a country dependent on imported oil, it's your patriotic duty to do the same. His argument is simple: It's a bad thing for transport to depend on oil when the great majority of that oil lies in volatile parts of the world whose governments are hostile to the West. Moreover, he argues that, by making the Middle East so wealthy, we're indirectly subsidizing terror. For Woolsey, the cash register at your local gas station is a collection box for Al Qaeda. "We're paying for both sides in this war, and that's not a good long-term strategy," he says [My underline.]. "I have a bumper sticker on the back of my Prius that reads, 'Bin Laden hates this car.'" […

Oil Warrior: Former CIA chief James Woolsey says if you want to beat Bin Laden, buy a Prius | Motor Trend
There are still a lot of fundamentalist militant Islamist groups out there: Al-Shabaab in Somalia, Boko Haram in Nigeria, Al-Qaeda in Jemen, Iraq and the Maghreb. They’re in Syria[SUP]1[/SUP] as well, and it makes you wonder about their financing… as well as the financing behind all the fundamentalist Islamist Madrassas all over the Middle East.

I also remember a program on Swedish Public Service Radio about, or partly about US foreign policy and the Middle East. There was an interview with former CIA case officer Robert Baer. And according to Bear, one of the worst kept US foreign policy ‘secrets’ is that if anything ever happens to the current Saudi regime – which in the name of democracy of course would be as awesome as it gets – then, no matter what, the US is going to have boots on the ground ASAP in Saudi Arabia to protect the Saudi Oil Industry…

[SUP]1[/SUP]Toppling al-Assad in Syria would be great, but if parts of Syria end up under Al-Qaeda or similar groups, then that will probably be roughly just as bad as al-Assad. And as I understand it, parts of Syria is under militant fundamentalist Islamist control today…

Last edited:
Different families have different dynamics. I presume you work really hard to make the income you do. The approach I took with my wife was: I work hard every day and don't really reward myself for those efforts. I had not bought myself a car since 1994. The two we bought since then were both for her and I ended up driving one of them. So, I played up the guilt about that a bit and demonstrated how a refinance of the house, the profits from some investments and the monthly gas savings bring the monthly payment for the car down to where we are comfortable. While we can buy it up front, money was so cheap that it was better to finance for us.

I then took her for a test drive and let her take the wheel for most of it. While she didn't fall in love, she understood why it was so important to me and we moved forward.

Tell your wife that buying a Tesla is an investment in your children's, and your grandchildren's, future. Tell her that people like you who can afford it have a moral obligation to buy this car since there are so many selfish people in this world with money who will only buy an ICE vehicle and Tesla needs all the help and support it can get in order to change the world, one vehicle purchase at a time. /…/ ;)
As I understand it, there doesn’t seem to be any doubt left that Tesla will have the resources to eventually bring the gen3 car to market. But by selling more Model Ss (or Model Xs), perhaps the gen3 could get here a few weeks earlier. Or it could enable Tesla to make that car even better. And the gen3 in itself, and figuratively speaking as a cattle prod to the misguided behinds of the other auto corporations, will be able to begin to make a dent in worldwide CO2-emissions.

It seems to me that currently Tesla is the only entity that can be fully trusted to never stop to relentlessly strive for the highest possible degree of electrification no matter what kind of transport.

After replacing the Lincoln with the Model S, I think keeping the Volt is the smart thing to do. You won't want to drive an ICE while your wife is driving the S, and visa-versa. Once the Gen3 comes out (2017?), or maybe the next gen Volt (2016?), that would be a good time to trade the Volt.

GSP

You could talk about Tesla, the revolutionary drivetrain and safety, the incredible cargo space, never having to go to a gas station again, having a full charge every morning, pollution, cancer caused by pollution, climate change, the world geopolitical instability caused by the oil trade, the tax breaks enjoyed by the oil inudustry, how the oil industry is in bed with the highest levels of government, the portion of our GDP wasted on gasoline, the inefficiency of the internal combustion engine, how much energy is consumed to refine oil, the dangers of fracking, how burning stuff is an archaic practice that should be left in the 19th century, leaving a better world for your children, how electric cars were crushed when they started to show promise 15 years ago, other stuff you read on Tesla Motors Club ... EVERY DAY FOR 3 YEARS ... Or you could just get her to test drive it.

Something in there worked for me.

Just a small warning, after seeing all the posts advising you to get her behind the wheel:

Be prepared to lose the car to her once you get it. There are countless forum members here who can tell you they've either bought a 2nd Model S, picked up a used Roadster, or put in a reservation for a Model X in the hopes of getting their S back from their spouse.

Interesting.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but whenever I or my wife want something, we figure out how to work together to make that happen in a responsible fashion given our resources. Obviously, the level of expenditure/TCO determines how significant that discussion is.

My wife knew I was interested... we spent a lot of times talking about the different aspects of the car, did some financial analysis to so what the TCO model looked like, and then decided to meet a couple of other milestones first. We then worked together and did that.

We checked them out online, went to the gallery, talked to a local owner, etc... together. Once the time came to go test drive, we both went. When it came time to order, she was the one who convinced me to get some upgrades (leather, pano, etc..). She like the car too, but knows it's my baby, and is happy for me.

Of course, when she wants to look at handbags or jewelry, I take an interest in that direction.