Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to convince a wife that a tesla is a great addition to my garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the OP, it says "high six figures". I think of that as 700k a year or more. Big tax burden of course, but why write the thread if you make that much? This is a small purchase unless other bills add up to use up most of the income. With that much income, you would expect to already have a few million in your investment portfolio and after this year, perhaps another million in gains? I do know someone worth $100M and his wife does get involved in similar decisions for him, so maybe this is similar?

Brittt1, from a financial standpoint, like a few have similarly describe, even though you make "high six figures", how is your net worth? Do you have lots of stuff and no savings to show for? You can be a doctor making $300K/yr with $600K of debt or a doctor making $300K/yr with only a mortgage and money saved in investments.

We just have our mortgage as debt which we refinanced this year at 3.4% and also paid down some of it down, feel good about that rate and where we are at.

Did you pay off your Lincoln MKX? What you lose on selling the MKX isn't so important as its sale would help reduce the cost of your MS. I sold my Nissan 350Z months before clicking Confirm on my order to reduce my MS cost by $15K.

We own the Lincoln so would use that (approx. $25k) for the down payment as well as some additional ($10-15k cash).

DidHaving recently taken possession of a MS, it's more clear to me I don't have to buy gas, pay for oil changes, emissions test, or any fluids to top off in an ICE. I have a 1996 Jeep I bought new for winter driving that costs me almost $3K/yr in gas if it was my primary vehicle. Your MKX is probably costing you that much a year too. As I transition to driving the MS, I expect to save about $2K/yr.

I saved approx $4000-4500 (gas/service) a year when I switched my Jeep out for a volt so I definitely know I'll save gas $$. Commute is 32 miles round trip a day, which is one charge (used to be 3.5 gallons).

I spent the last few days setting my wife up for our 2014 planning session :) , I think I'll be fine and have a pretty good approach based on advice received here.

I'll keep y'all posted
Thanks

Britt, 60 kWh owner here in Fairfax. My wife and I did the test drive together and she was sold right then and there - in fact the S is her daily driver and I get to drive it on the weekends. After that we made a TCO spreadsheet and compared with cars not to dissimilar than the MKX and the S won hands down.

Why do you say your wife will not be willing to do a test drive? Have you at least taken her to the Tyson's Corner store and has she seen one up close and sat in one?

Britt, 60 kWh owner here in Fairfax. My wife and I did the test drive together and she was sold right then and there - in fact the S is her daily driver and I get to drive it on the weekends. After that we made a TCO spreadsheet and compared with cars not to dissimilar than the MKX and the S won hands down.

Why do you say your wife will not be willing to do a test drive? Have you at least taken her to the Tyson's Corner store and has she seen one up close and sat in one?

I have been to the store and she has walked past :wink: but has looked in. Curious, if you don't mind me asking what were your first years property tax? My MKX is like $875 my Volt was $830

As a note my ideal build or used car would be:

S85
Gray with 21" gray wheels
tan interior with Performance seats and Obeche Gloss
Tech Package
Panoramic roof (No longer want alcantara as i figure there isn't much with a panoramic roof)
Parking Sensors
interior lighting
Fog lights

If you are not getting a P I'd go with the 19's-longer tread wear and little bit better ride. Also the shelf in the cargo has been surprisingly useful. Consider the air suspension and cold weather package as well. Good luck with the wife. I'm in a very similar scenario but the test drive and safety did it for her.

My other Car (wife's) is a 2011 Lincoln MKX that was just purchased a year ago (She has never really taken to it).

Isn't replacing that car a no-brainer, then? If she doesn't like it . . . does she like the Volt? Would she drive the Volt? And if she doesn't like the Lincoln or the Volt (or even just doesn't like the Lincoln), I'm surprised she wouldn't be open to a test drive . . . though, granted, if she's just resigned to it and doesn't want to replace either car, I guess that makes sense. But if she's not into the Lincoln (especially, if she's also not into the Volt), then if you can get her to at least look/drive the Model S, perhaps she'll like it enough that she'd be willing to buy it if you two would swap cars regularly, sharing both Volt and Model S. ;-)

Good luck!

I have been to the store and she has walked past :wink: but has looked in. Curious, if you don't mind me asking what were your first years property tax? My MKX is like $875 my Volt was $830

Interestingly I never received my property tax bill in October!? I think it was perhaps because I registered after July. I am expecting it to be around $2K with the car tax relief :(

Virginia is about the worst state to try to buy an EV and "save money" based on these taxes and the state government's inability to see the future. The personal property tax annually is always a detriment for folks in that state. I was there in the early 90s and wanted to get out after two years.

Virginia is about the worst state to try to buy an EV and "save money" based on these taxes and the state government's inability to see the future. The personal property tax annually is always a detriment for folks in that state. I was there in the early 90s and wanted to get out after two years.

Bon, to play the devil's advocate the VA personal property tax would be about the same on an MB S-class or, say, a well-loaded Audi A7. Some counties like Loudoun may give some relief to EV owners but it is not confirmed.

I went through this not long ago, had a thread very similar to this one. Do a search for that thread, it may help. In the end I had my wife completely on board after a 2nd test drive. However, financially we made a deal that we would only do it if TSLA hit 190 after Q3 earnings....oops. Now I'm stuck with a BMW diesel that I tolerate but it isn't a Tesla. The wife and I agreed it's a temporary car until we are financially comfortable with the Tesla. We do make a good 6 figures as well. I was pretty conservative with our mileage when calculating the Tesla. Since getting the BMW, I realize I was to conservative and the Tesla actually made more financial sense than my conservative math implied. I have 8kw solar as well, so truly free driving.

Bon, to play the devil's advocate the VA personal property tax would be about the same on an MB S-class or, say, a well-loaded Audi A7. Some counties like Loudoun may give some relief to EV owners but it is not confirmed.

Loudoun resident and I can confirm that the ppt on EV's is the same as ICE's. At least it's claimable in your taxes if you itemize.

I built this spreadsheet to try and capture ALL of the costs associated with a new car purchase... this may (or may not...) help you! ;-0

tesla-lwobker-tco - Google Drive

Appreciate you sharing spreadsheet...however, that $0.07/kwh is surely "supply" electricity cost, but doesn't include "distribution charges." Here in NJ, we pay about $0.21/kwh, about half in "supply" and half in "distribution."

Last edited: