Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Satisfied Are You With Autopilot?

How Satisfied Are You With Autopilot?

• Very Unsatisfied

Votes: 18 7.2%
  • Unsatisfied

Votes: 8 3.2%
  • Neutral

Votes: 16 6.4%
  • Satisfied

Votes: 80 32.1%
  • Very Satisfied

Votes: 127 51.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm very satisfied.

But AP did try to kill me today. Going down a curvy city street, 1 lane in each direction. It was doing great, then all of a sudden it tried to change lanes :gulp:. Thankfully there was no oncoming traffic.

This is to me the reason why Tesla waited this long to release the autopilot update. They say it's only for use on the highways, but yet everyone is testing it locally.
Somebody is going to crash(just a matter of days, i think), and then blame Tesla for it.
Tesla will then react by canceling the roll-out. This way, I won’t have a chance to test AP.
Noooooooo, stop it!!!

A. Actually they NEVER said the bolded

2. And humans who don't test the boundaries or capabilities of what they have will never know the limitations.

III. What's your point? They also said TACC is for highways, I use it on city streets all the time. You gotta know the limitations of the hardware to comfortably use it.

I agree with this, but I've found enough of the limits to realize that we have to be very very careful doing this. It sometimes does some very unexpected things. When getting into a slightly complex situation, hands on the wheel and be very alert.

This is to me the reason why Tesla waited this long to release the autopilot update. They say it's only for use on the highways, but yet everyone is testing it locally.
Somebody is going to crash(just a matter of days, i think), and then blame Tesla for it.
Tesla will then react by canceling the roll-out. This way, I won’t have a chance to test AP.
Noooooooo, stop it!!!

See the post above yours.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with this, but I've found enough of the limits to realize that we have to be very very careful doing this. It sometimes does some very unexpected things. When getting into a slightly complex situation, hands on the wheel and be very alert.

I never said my hands were off the wheel. I never said I wasn't alert. I knew what I was doing, I knew it's not meant for that, and I was more aware of my surrounds than I usually am.

Noooooooo, stop it!!!

It is interesting the number of people using it in situations it's been clearly and publically stated it is not intended, and then some of those people going on to complain about how it's working/not working. It's like giving people a box of matches and a can of gas and telling them specifically not to light the matches near the gas, then having people completely ignore the warning, pour the gas over their heads, and strike a match.

Adding: I guess that's just people testing the distance limitations of flame to gas before everything goes up in flames. :rolleyes:

Tesla needs to release 7.01 ASAP to fix the following:
- Disable AP on two way roads
- Recognize and stop for stop signs
- Recognize and disconnect for yield signs
- Recognize and stop for yellow/green stop lights

There can be a select group of beta testers that can still drive on two way roads, but they need to receive some extra training.

Speaking of training, maybe you should be required to attend a class at the nearest Tesla Showroom before you can unlock autopilot???

Edit: part of the problem is idiots filming themselves with one hand while using dangerous/new technology.

I never said my hands were off the wheel. I never said I wasn't alert. I knew what I was doing, I knew it's not meant for that, and I was more aware of my surrounds than I usually am.

I never intended to imply otherwise. My comments were more intended for others who might not have gone as far down the experimentation road. It's very clear to me why Tesla took quite a bit of time before releasing this. It will be fine for the majority of Tesla owners who are very tech minded and aware of the limits of technology. I'm a little more concerned about the less tech-minded folks who aren't as clear on the limitations.

It is interesting the number of people using it in situations it's been clearly and publically stated it is not intended, and then some of those people going on to complain about how it's working/not working. It's like giving people a box of matches and a can of gas and telling them specifically not to light the matches near the gas, then having people completely ignore the warning, pour the gas over their heads, and strike a match.

Adding: I guess that's just people testing the distance limitations of flame to gas before everything goes up in flames. :rolleyes:

I've seen plenty of people test the limits so far, I have only seen maybe 1 person actually complain. Where is this "number of people"?

- - - Updated - - -

There can be a select group of beta testers that can still drive on two way roads, but they need to receive some extra training.

Speaking of training, maybe you should be required to attend a class at the nearest Tesla Showroom before you can unlock autopilot???

Edit: part of the problem is idiots filming themselves with one hand while using dangerous/new technology.

No.Freaking.Way. I didn't buy a nanny-state car.

- - - Updated - - -

I never intended to imply otherwise. My comments were more intended for others who might not have gone as far down the experimentation road. It's very clear to me why Tesla took quite a bit of time before releasing this. It will be fine for the majority of Tesla owners who are very tech minded and aware of the limits of technology. I'm a little more concerned about the less tech-minded folks who aren't as clear on the limitations.

Understood.

Multiple threads and videos posted on this forum with plenty of examples. You'll come across them in due time. Otherwise just wait for it...won't be long. We've already got the 'Tesla tried to kill me video posted on YouTube'.

I've seen a few here already, but I think most of the comments are hyperbole.

I also said "Tesla tried to kill me", in this thread, a few posts ago. And yes, if you read just that one post, without looking at any of my other posts, someone could interpret it as me being serious. Anyone who's read any of my other posts, would likely realize I said it in jest.

I understand where you're coming from though, because I've stated this probably 100 times in various threads, most people don't understand that Autopilot != Autonomous. They think they can go take a nap, or attach a string to the steering wheel, or go text, or go to the back seat and have a 3-course meal. That's not the case. That'll probably never be the case with AP 1.0. It's coming, but we're not there yet.

I think we all need to remember, this is the FIRST mass-produced car to even have this type of hardware/software enabled for the masses. It's going to have bugs and things to be worked out. I'm astounded that Tesla, not Ford, GM, VW, or some Japanese manufacturer, is leading the industry and bringing this technology forward. Let's try not to be too critical in this bold, first attempt.

I agree, Tesla's Autopilot should not be used on secondary highways. It's obvious from "Tesla tried to kill me" video that user interface is not fast enough to handle winding roads - with no shoulder or median - at high speeds.

Last edited:
You are using highly inflammatory and inaccurate language in your post. The Autopilot software had no intent to harm you. You are attributing human malevolence to software code.
On a two lane road with a lot of curves and no physical divider between your lane and oncoming traffic you had Autopilot engaged even though it is clear based on statements from Tesla that is not the intended use case. I am glad you had your hands close to the wheel and were able to take control but you should not be using Autopilot on roads like that.
Well well well... "Tesla AutoPilot tried to kill me! "

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's a good first try but here are some of the things I had problems with on the highway.

- Car seems to make way to many micro adjustments to stay in the middle.
- See's and exit and wants take it.

On surface roads and I know it's not intended for this.

- When a lane opens for a right turn it wants to go into it.
- Driving through an intersection it often gets confused.
- Slows down to hard for stopped traffic ahead

In stop and crawl traffic.

- Followed a car going into the right turn lane.
- Speeds up and slows down to aggressively.

I think it's a good first try but here are some of the things I had problems with on the highway.

- Car seems to make way to many micro adjustments to stay in the middle.
- See's and exit and wants take it.

On surface roads and I know it's not intended for this.

- When a lane opens for a right turn it wants to go into it.
- Driving through an intersection it often gets confused.
- Slows down to hard for stopped traffic ahead

In stop and crawl traffic.

- Followed a car going into the right turn lane.
- Speeds up and slows down to aggressively.

O no, how dare you use it on surface streets. That's a sin, you should have your car revoked!

O wait, back to reality. I agree with everything you said. I forgot that it gets confused at intersections. I also had to take over once (didn't want to see what would happen) when an intersection was on a turn (maybe 30 degree turn?), the car didn't give me a warm and fuzzy as we approached it that it would do the right thing.

You are using highly inflammatory and inaccurate language in your post. The Autopilot software had no intent to harm you. You are attributing human malevolence to software code.
On a two lane road with a lot of curves and no physical divider between your lane and oncoming traffic you had Autopilot engaged even though it is clear based on statements from Tesla that is not the intended use case. I am glad you had your hands close to the wheel and were able to take control but you should not be using Autopilot on roads like that.

Agree. It's unfortunate so many users are just not going to "get it". It's like saying your oven tried to kill you because you left it on all winter.

I agree, Tesla's Autopilot should not be used on secondary highways. It's obvious from "Tesla tried to kill me" video that user interface is not fast enough to handle winding roads - with no shoulder or median - at high speeds.

And I don't agree.I live 40 miles from freeways. Most daily driving is on secondary roads, not even highways. They get long and tedious, too. The Tesla AP handles them well.

I drove on two lane winding roads for a couple hours yesterday. Of course, with autopilot, cruise was on. Car was going fast, but handled the corners, although abruptly. It was obvious that I could see the curve better than the radar, before the radar, and when the car recognized the curve it had to do abrupt steering. Simple fix was to slow the cruise control down. I never had to "grab the wheel".

When following a car on two lane curvy road, there were no issues.

Car recognized that guard rails, bushes, cars, flat bed trucks, were beside me. It never dodged anything. I exercised confidence and let it shy away from things it wasn't sure of, but that was rare and I never had the feeling it was "trying to kill me" which is a bit much of an overstatement. My Mom likes to say things like that to be sensationalist, so I'm used to it. It had to feel its way when the center lane moved away to make room for a left turn lane, but quickly figured it out. ONLY ONCE did it ask me to take over the wheel on a section of curves. Usually it could find one side or the other of the rural road and follow without trouble.

From my understanding, each car that autopilots down a stretch of road collects data. Then all later cars will understand the road better as data is collected about that piece of the map.

I feel strongly that new AP drivers should start in slowly and learn with the car. Don't push the envelope until you are confident, and you will have nothing but a great experience.

I think we all need to remember, this is the FIRST mass-produced car to even have this type of hardware/software enabled for the masses. It's going to have bugs and things to be worked out. I'm astounded that Tesla, not Ford, GM, VW, or some Japanese manufacturer, is leading the industry and bringing this technology forward. Let's try not to be too critical in this bold, first attempt.

I think you probably should be excited about Mobileye's leadership:

Lane Centering - Mobileye