Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much electricity does it take to produce a gallon/liter of gas/diesel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To get oil out of the ground, produce the gas/diesel and pump it into you car how much electricity does it take?

Electricity used
- Drilling takes huge amounts mostly produced by diesel generators
- Pumping
- Refining
- Pumping into transport trucks
- Running a gas station.
- I'am sure there are other electrify users in the process

Just wondering if the electric used to produce the gas/diesel would drive a electric vehicle further than the gas/diesel does?
If this is so then there is all the electrify that is needed to power electric transport available right know if it was not used to produce gas/diesel.

I think what is also mind blowing is how many resources are involved in fracking. That should be calculated too as there are vehicles that use natural gas.

sadly I’m guilty of having and using natural gas at home for heat . Looking to invest in solar.

And how much is used to make the solar panels wind mills or whatever?
Valid question!
However, where do we draw the line?
How much electricity/power is used to birth and raise the workers that build the solar panels?
For your question we also need to look into how much energy goes into building the wells and power plants that provide energy for fossil fuels used to power refineries, transportation and storage of oil/gas.

As for the OP question, you will get better answers in studies. The Governments GREET model is very in depth, however, it is a lot to dig through.
The Union of Concerned Scientists have done a lot of studies on transportation efficiency. All their stuff has full references and is much easier to absorb than the GREET models.

here is one paper they have done: New Data Show Electric Vehicles Continue to Get Cleaner

Reactions: iPlug
And how much is used to make the solar panels wind mills or whatever?
As Zythryn noted, this is really complex if looking for an answer with high level of precision.

If we are concerned about the fossil fuel inputs towards renewable energy generation, at a general level, more renewable energy (solar panel, wind turbines) begets ever lower fossil fuel requirements over time to manufacture them.

Picture solar PV, wind, battery storage renewable electricity powering the solar PV and turbine factories, workers vehicles, and even heavy machinery to extract and transport the raw materials throughout the supply chain. Same renewable energy would be used to recycle defunct solar PV, turbines, batteries...

Short story is it just keeps getting better.

Last edited:
To get oil out of the ground, produce the gas/diesel and pump it into you car how much electricity does it take?

Electricity used
- Drilling takes huge amounts mostly produced by diesel generators
- Pumping
- Refining
- Pumping into transport trucks
- Running a gas station.
- I'am sure there are other electrify users in the process

Just wondering if the electric used to produce the gas/diesel would drive a electric vehicle further than the gas/diesel does?
If this is so then there is all the electrify that is needed to power electric transport available right know if it was not used to produce gas/diesel.

The most common number I've seen is ~0.3kWh of ELECTRICITY per gallon. However refining requires a lot of thermal ENERGY. The ENERGY requirement for refining is ~7kWh per gallon but the most electricity you could get from that 7kWh is <4kWh.

Electricity is energy but not all energy is electricity.

Status
Not open for further replies.