Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much do I save in fuel costs over ICE? A lot, but at times it really depends....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you’re using Superchargers, it’s going to be variable and likely similar to gas. If you’re charging at home, it’ll also be variable but likely cheaper than the average gas car at 30MPG. In my area I’m paying $.135/kw and I’m far ahead on costs for gas/power over the average car.

My last gas car was an Accord hybrid that got 46MPG. It was pretty cheap to drive but cost $35K. Before that, and Accord LX with a six-speed, and at 33MPG w/ a drive out price of $21K it was downright cheap over the long haul. My son has that one now.

Of course, my MYP costs well over double what the average car does…so overall it’s more expensive to drive. I am ok with that. I am lucky enough to be able to afford it, and I think it’s important to help push the market towards EVs. As more EVs get built and bought, they’ll get more affordable. For now, I’m OK paying a premium to help the planet - and have fun.
This is probably the most realistic outlook. For every Model Y, there's an alternative cheaper (By half) ICE car with decent MPG (30mpg+) but the question, what's next? Will you enjoy driving an MY more than a $20K econoICEbox? Maybe, maybe not.

Reactions: Jane4
Average new car price in the US in August was $48,301.
I think when he meant by average car is more on the affordable range, like the Hondas/Toyotas versus all new cars and averaging that. I could be wrong but there are definitely a lot of cars that can be had for half the price of a Model Y that gives you the 30mpg+. Are they comparable to an MY, some bits and pieces, maybe.

This is probably the most realistic outlook. For every Model Y, there's an alternative cheaper (By half) ICE car with decent MPG (30mpg+) but the question, what's next? Will you enjoy driving an MY more than a $20K econoICEbox? Maybe, maybe not.
Honestly, I enjoy driving my Subaru Ascent more than the MY. The Ascent is far smoother and easier to drive. The controls are all buttons and knobs so no touchscreen controls. Sightlines in the Ascent are far better than in the MY. And driving down the freeway on a long trip, the Ascent is also far more comfortable and seats my 3 kids with far more room. The MY is for my wife to shuttle the kids around town.

It's not that bad... I just got back from a road trip up to BC. Superchargers are not 60 cents during peak, unless you are near the bay area.. I only paid 58 cents near Concord. Once I got to the 5 freeway, they are only 44 cents or somewhere close to that... In oregon and washington, none of the SC were more than 44 cents or so, even during peak hours. Even when I was charging in BC, I only drew $1.00/minute for 2 minutes. When I calculated the actual cost based on my invoice, I averaged 35 cents/kwh in BC.
I'm in the Sierra Foothills and Superchargers are bloody expensive during peak hours! Pricing does seem to be all over the place depending on which supercharger you go to however. $1.00/min is pretty expensive. It usually takes about 30 min to go from 20% to 80% SOC, so that would be about $30 but that is of course, is Cdn loonies, so it probably works out close to what we pay here in NorCal given the exchange rate. The problem for us is the MY energy consumption is quite high when you load it up with 3 kids, dog, wife, roof box, and a ton of luggage, all while driving 70-80 mph with the AC or heat on.

I'm in the Sierra Foothills and Superchargers are bloody expensive during peak hours! Pricing does seem to be all over the place depending on which supercharger you go to however. $1.00/min is pretty expensive. It usually takes about 30 min to go from 20% to 80% SOC, so that would be about $30 but that is of course, is Cdn loonies, so it probably works out close to what we pay here in NorCal given the exchange rate. The problem for us is the MY energy consumption is quite high when you load it up with 3 kids, dog, wife, roof box, and a ton of luggage, all while driving 70-80 mph with the AC or heat on.
It was only $1.00 minute for 2 minutes. Most of it was 33-66 cents. I pulled in with like 10%, and charged up to 90%. It only costed $21 canadian, which with the exchange rate that day, works out to $16 USD. I had two kids, the wife, and a grandma with me, and still have a roof rack on, as well as full luggage for a week trip.. I'm even running on upsized non-oem tires. I usually drive +10, so that means I too was driving 70-80, with the AC/Heat on as well... You are overthinking things... The drive to BC from the Bay area is not that bad. I've done it a few times in the Y already. If you are that concerned about price, you can always get a CCS adapter, and use EA. I've done that on the trip to BC before as well... With Pass+ it's only 31 cents kwh. I didn't try using CCS in Canada, becuase there weren't any that were faster than 50kw near where I was.

Reactions: Jane4 and Big Earl
It was only $1.00 minute for 2 minutes. Most of it was 33-66 cents. I pulled in with like 10%, and charged up to 90%. It only costed $21 canadian, which with the exchange rate that day, works out to $16 USD. I had two kids, the wife, and a grandma with me, and still have a roof rack on, as well as full luggage for a week trip.. I'm even running on upsized non-oem tires. I usually drive +10, so that means I too was driving 70-80, with the AC/Heat on as well... You are overthinking things... The drive to BC from the Bay area is not that bad. I've done it a few times in the Y already. If you are that concerned about price, you can always get a CCS adapter, and use EA. I've done that on the trip to BC before as well... With Pass+ it's only 31 cents kwh. I didn't try using CCS in Canada, becuase there weren't any that were faster than 50kw near where I was.
Well we are going to take the MY this summer regardless. My in-laws have an outlet in their garage that I can charge from. And even at 110V, being I generally don't drive huge distances unless I'm traveling to AB, trickle charging is enough for our daily run around trips around Vancouver/Richmond. PlugShare shows that the nearest supercharger in Richmond is $0.81/min for the fast charger. So I suspect you're correct about the true cost to charge there given the exchange rate. We drive this route at least once or twice every year up the west coast to BC and we also sometimes go from BC to AB. Given the price of gas in BC, hopefully the Tesla will yield some savings. At least I can trickle charge at my in-laws, who get a BC Hydro discount due being seniors.

Well we are going to take the MY this summer regardless. My in-laws have an outlet in their garage that I can charge from. And even at 110V, being I generally don't drive huge distances unless I'm traveling to AB, trickle charging is enough for our daily run around trips around Vancouver/Richmond. PlugShare shows that the nearest supercharger in Richmond is $0.81/min for the fast charger. So I suspect you're correct about the true cost to charge there given the exchange rate. We drive this route at least once or twice every year up the west coast to BC and we also sometimes go from BC to AB. Given the price of gas in BC, hopefully the Tesla will yield some savings. At least I can trickle charge at my in-laws, who get a BC Hydro discount due being seniors.
Gas in Richmond was $2.02/litre, so it's close to $6 USD/gallon right now.

Reactions: Dopey44
That supercharger in Richmond is busy AF. Luckily the turnover was fast so I never had to wait. But even when I pulled in at 2:30 in the morning the 20 stall SC was nearly full. One time I went to the SC near downtown Vancouver, that's in a parking garage at the mall. That one the supercharger was always empty, prob cus you have to pay for parking. But there was a wall of destination chargers too directly across from the SC which I think was free, I didn't look closely, as I was trying to get to a show.

NEM3 is coming and that's not only going to be even more expensive, they're going to charge folks with solar panels $8 per kWh of solar energy produced every month as an access fee!
It’s actually $8 per kW of solar capacity installed (or maybe inverter capacity - I don’t know). But it isn’t $8 per kWh produced.

What’s the difference? $8 per kW on a 6 kW system is $48 per month. $8 per kWh produced by that same system in a month would be $4,000 (rough assumption of 6,000 kWh generated per year divided by 12).

That supercharger in Richmond is busy AF. Luckily the turnover was fast so I never had to wait. But even when I pulled in at 2:30 in the morning the 20 stall SC was nearly full. One time I went to the SC near downtown Vancouver, that's in a parking garage at the mall. That one the supercharger was always empty, prob cus you have to pay for parking. But there was a wall of destination chargers too directly across from the SC which I think was free, I didn't look closely, as I was trying to get to a show.
Weird. I eat at Shanghai River a lot, which is directly across the street from that SC and usually it's fairly empty. The SCs in downtown Vancouver are mostly lower power chargers. Fortunately because I can trickle charge at my in-laws, I don't think we'll be needing the SC very often unless we take a big trip out of town.

It’s actually $8 per kW of solar capacity installed (or maybe inverter capacity - I don’t know). But it isn’t $8 per kWh produced.

What’s the difference? $8 per kW on a 6 kW system is $48 per month. $8 per kWh produced by that same system in a month would be $4,000 (rough assumption of 6,000 kWh generated per year divided by 12).
Yes, it's capacity based on kWh. It's still an additional and ridiculous fee that people are going to get soaked with.

Weird. I eat at Shanghai River a lot, which is directly across the street from that SC and usually it's fairly empty. The SCs in downtown Vancouver are mostly lower power chargers. Fortunately because I can trickle charge at my in-laws, I don't think we'll be needing the SC very often unless we take a big trip out of town.
Was that during the week, or the weekend? When I went on a Wednesday it was empty, but from Friday thru Sunday it was packed at seemingly all hours.

Average new car price in the US in August was $48,301.

I think when he meant by average car is more on the affordable range, like the Hondas/Toyotas versus all new cars and averaging that. I could be wrong but there are definitely a lot of cars that can be had for half the price of a Model Y that gives you the 30mpg+. Are they comparable to an MY, some bits and pieces, maybe.
Lordy. New car prices are ridiculous. I think most of that is driven by the ridiculous markups on cars as we all went through Covid. My neighbors paid $5K over sticker price for a Hyundai Elantra, a car that would have never sold for more than $1000-500 under sticker price just a few years ago. I know someone else that paid $3K over sticker for a base model KIA, it was either the K5 or Forte, not sure.

But as Kokukenji sauys, I'm really thinking of the more affordable range when I say "average new car." Sorry for not being more informed and more clear. And shoot, after I wind up with the necessary coilovers and wheels, my MYP is closing in on double laservet's average. Trying not to think about that. Lalalalalala!!!!

I wonder what the average price is when you take out all of the $65K+ bro-dozer F150/250, Dodge RAM, Chevy Silverados that are wildly popular and yet entirely unnecessary for most purchasers. I mean, you *could* have to run through a puddle in the mall parking lot...

And no, I don't *need* an SUV that'll do 0-60MPH in 12 parsecs or something like that. Some of my purchase is grounded in helping make EV technology more mainstream. It's the future, it'll help everyone.

Just how is 50% of the country that doesn't have access to home charging supposed to pay to public charge their EV? One can buy a new Toyota Prius for almost half what a Tesla Model 3 costs, and will pay approximately half in gas and oil compared to exclusively supercharging a Tesla. even if you buy a Chevy Bolt, its still going to cost twice as much to drive.
I guess that means that in the next year or 2, gas is going to double or triple in price, just to make the math work out.
We watch several e shows on UTube--"Fully Charged" is the best, in my opinion. The UK seems way ahead of us here in the US in adressing this issue with alot of level 2 chargers at steet sites throughout cities. My impression is that in the UK, in general, most folk don't have access to home charging at all.--lots of problems with parking...But they are working on it. And some European countries, like Germany, have created fabulous EV charging venues with restaurants and bathrooms and rest areas installed. I think we have to change our view about cars and driving here. I love America but we are still in the rough rider, old West shoot em up mentality as far as switching to alternative fuels. I am 76 so have seen alot and driven alot of cars and love my Tesla, though have a reservation on a RIVIAN. It's happening. And I think vehicles like Rivian and the Ford Lightning truck are helping to change peoples' minds. Just saying....

I took a trip from San Francisco to Reno and back Oct 21st-23rd, 2022. Including some local driving here and in Reno I went around 506 miles. Charging at superchargers and EA the total cost was around $50.00. My old F25 X3 would have gotten about 21 mpg or so. I didn't pay attention to the exact price of gas but it was hovering close to $6 a gallon at the time. My gas cost would have been around $144.00. Superchargers in Reno are .23 kw not matter what time of the day. I used the ones at the Atlantis and El Dorado hotels. The auburn sc was .43kw. EA was .31 cents per kw. I didn't charged a lot at EA but did so to check out the speed with my CCS adapter. It wasn't that fast even with their 350kw chargers in Auburn. I was at 60 percent, so that could have been the reason.

edit - Reno weather was somewhere in the 50's in the day and 40's in the evening. Sunday was the coldest and it was in the 30's in the morning. The rest of the trip the weather was moderate. My speed varied but mostly 75 plus when in the left lane and 70 in the other lanes. The trip to reno took six and half hours. That included a short break in Davis and a charge break in Auburn. Lots of traffic - SF to Richmond took about one and half hours and there were two accidents near Davis and right near each other.

Last edited:
More accurate to consider the total cost per mile.
Ev vs ICE.
total cost of ownership will include capital cost of purchase, cost of the capital (loans), cost of maintenance. The cost of
Ive done the sums out to 10 years - ICE is cheaper total cost of ownership per mile

This is of course not a reason to not get an EV.

More accurate to consider the total cost per mile.
Ev vs ICE.
total cost of ownership will include capital cost of purchase, cost of the capital (loans), cost of maintenance. The cost of
Ive done the sums out to 10 years - ICE is cheaper total cost of ownership per mile

This is of course not a reason to not get an EV.
Apart from the bumpiness of the ride, I enjoy the Cruise Control on my Model 3, 2020. Love not having to use my brake or gas---just letting the car drive itself. I have not yet used the FSD, even though we paid for it, because we didn't pass the trial. Now I hear it is supposed to be available to everyone?? Anyway, I don't see myself going back to a gas guzzler.

Reactions: norcalbowler94